LG no longer commited to upgrading the G2 to Lollipop

So after waiting for months to get the Android 5 Lollipop 5 upgrade that LG had promised for my G2, I contacted their customer support and got this response:

I can only apologise, due to the hardware constraints in the G2 it will not be upgraded to Lollipop. When this was released we were under the impression that it would be introduced to the G2 however as this has been out for months it is not going to be upgraded. Unfortunately this will not change. 

LG had previously said they would provide an update, and why not, the G2 is no slouch, with a Snapdragon 800 and 2GB RAM. It was the top of the range phone when it was released in September 2013. Yet 18 months later and its now at its end.

I certainly won't be buying another LG, I hope that other manufacturers at least stick to what they say.

Do you know of any other high-end phones which won't get the update?

Lollipop sucks anyway. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

"Hardware constraints" is absolute BS. The G2 is just a glorified Nexus 5. Heck even the Moto E has no problem running Lollipop. LG you're not fooling anyone.

"Rawr XD"

"Hardware constraints" is absolute BS. The G2 is just a glorified Nexus 5. Heck even the Moto E has no problem running Lollipop. LG you're not fooling anyone.

Exactly my thoughts. Really not a happy customer!

The G2 is getting Lollipop, at least the T-Mobile version is. It's still in testing.

http://www.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-lg-g2-and-lg-g3-lollipop-update-moves-t-mobile-testing

Perhaps thats only for the US, it was LG UK that replied to my question, so maybe its Europe that won't get it.

what costumer support? you are trolled hard.korean version lg g2 got lollipop a few months back. on xda there is the ofifcial verizon rom leaked and someone from vietnam leaked the official lollipop 5.0.2 for the international version D802 but ofc it got taken down by lg http://www.reddit.com/r/lgg2/comments/2znojb/what_happened_with_leaked_502_lollipop_d802/

also lg india finally made it official that it will get lollipop in q2.the g2 in india is the d802 international http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_india_confirms_android_50_lollipop_for_g2_april-news-11637.php

so its comming

Edited by s3ns3

Perhaps thats only for the US, it was LG UK that replied to my question, so maybe its Europe that won't get it.

Next time please get some sure proof or use some kind of trusted website to base your thread off of. 

COMIC SANS

you can stay updated with news on g2 lollipop in this xda thread. just read the first post the rest is offtopic with users testing the leaked lollipop.huge mess

Next time please get some sure proof or use some kind of trusted website to base your thread off of. 

qAKqz1n.png

Lollipop sucks anyway. 

Why so? I prefer it to Kitkat.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

To be honest this is one thing which makes me feel that Apple still has the best platform for longevity with regards to software upgrades as the OEMs of Android seems to be able to do whatever they like.

Oh we will promise this but we won't do it and we'll blame the hardware.

Basicly this is the reason:

We (LG) Can not be arsed to support our 18 month old phone so go buy a new one.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

You are not missing much, its killed my nexus 4 battery life. trust me you dont want it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You are not missing much. I have tried lollipop but prefer Kitkat over it.

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

due to the hardware constraints in the G2 it will not be upgraded to Lollipop

In the meantime Korean Optimus G Pro with Snapdragon 600 is laughing laughing their ass out, ggwp LG

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Heyyo,

Yeh, lol my HTC One M7 with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 on 5.0.2 without issue and there's devices on the low-end Snapdragon 400 series that run lollipop... that and I'm sure Android has been ported to even older devices like I've seen Samsung Galaxy S3's on Lollipop from Cyanogen ROMs I think. :P

To be honest this is one thing which makes me feel that Apple still has the best platform for longevity with regards to software upgrades as the OEMs of Android seems to be able to do whatever they like.

Yeah... at the risk of your WiFi chip frying during the update like my iPhone 4S did going from 6.1.3 to 7.0.2... so I gave the middle finger to apple and got an HTC One M7 and WOW am I glad I did. I've enjoyed the One M7 a lot more than even my ol' iPhone 3Gs and that thing was awesome at the time. iOS 7.0.2 ruined my iPhone 4S not just for the WiFi chip but it ran TERRIBLE compared to iOS 6.1.3... NEVER am I getting an iPhone. They screwed me over quite royally.

Why so? I prefer it to Kitkat.

Same. There is a silly memory leak on Lollipop... but same crap iPhones had when going to iOS 7.0... so many complained about performance issues a

due to the hardware constraints in the G2 it will not be upgraded to Lollipop

In the meantime Korean Optimus G Pro with Snapdragon 600 is laughing laughing their ass out, ggwp LG

Yeah, that's some terrible customer support... then again, maybe they were just going off a spreadsheet of answers not promising anything and then maybe surprising people if Lollipop does come to the LG G2 to them.

That's one thing I love about HTC... quite open communication. You can see how far along the update process it is, development, testing, certification and release. :)

The best for Android updates outside of the Nexus lineup is still Motorola though.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Yeah... at the risk of your WiFi chip frying during the update like my iPhone 4S did going from 6.1.3 to 7.0.2... so I gave the middle finger to apple and got an HTC One M7 and WOW am I glad I did. I've enjoyed the One M7 a lot more than even my ol' iPhone 3Gs and that thing was awesome at the time. iOS 7.0.2 ruined my iPhone 4S not just for the WiFi chip but it ran TERRIBLE compared to iOS 6.1.3... NEVER am I getting an iPhone. They screwed me over quite royally.

Well you just had a bit of bad luck as I owned iPhones since the 1st Generation iPhone (Had 4GB of Memory  :lol: ) Overall I had the 1st Gen, 3G, 4,4S and 5 until I switched to Android because I got bored :lol: 

My iPhone 3G Is still going strong after years of abuse off my father. Anyway my point is that none of my iPhones had an issue and they were kept up to date. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

The new Moto E with the Snapdragon 200 has lollipop, yet the LG G2 with the 800 can't get it...

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

lollipop for g2 d802 international got realeased yesterday. update through lg pc suite or wait for OTA