Bad Asus Strix 980? Rma again?

sew999

Hello i have a problem with Far Cry 4.

I mean sometimes ( very very rarely ) i have artifacts like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0DRDpZc9Q

Card is OC by factory. I dont OC. Rma time? Its my second Asus Strix 980 with similiar problem with artifacts on Far Cry 4.Again RMA? I am sorry but this is ridicilous. Second card with similiar problem.This time its showing that artifacts like above.

RMA TIME! Everybody's favorite time of the year.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

I have a feeling that it's the games problem, not cards. I had simmilar artifacts in GTA SA but in other games it didn't happen

does it happen in any other games?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

does it happen in any other games?

^ This, If its only happening in FC4 then its the game to blame.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

On other games i dont notice that. I can play Far Cry 4 many hours without that artifacts. But sometimes after 10 minutes it can appear like on stated movie above.
Its something wrong with card?

id point it more to a ram issue than gpu issue. i had a similar issue with the original crysis. RMA'd my gpu, got s new one, same thing happened, did the take out 1 stick of ram at a time jobby and it solved it.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

On other games i dont notice that. I can play Far Cry 4 many hours without that artifacts. But sometimes after 10 minutes it can appear like on stated movie above.

Its something wrong with card?

It may be a driver issue - have you updated with GeForce Experience? 

Also, may be worth running a stress test like Aida 64 for a couple of hours just to make sure the card isn't overheating with your current setup.

Strange because playing Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Heaven i dont see that artifacts. Only in Far Cry 4 but very occasionally i have something like this. Very rarely but of course it is.
So its RMA time? So its again not stable OC even preferred by Asus?

Increase the power target or add a bit more voltage with MSI Afterburner and see if it's stable. In my experience Asus cards needed slightly more voltage to run at intended speeds. Alternatively you could use MSI Afterburner and slightly lower the clock speed on the 980 and see if that helps.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Strange because playing Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Heaven i dont see that artifacts. Only in Far Cry 4 but very occasionally i have something like this. Very rarely but of course it is.

So its RMA time? So its again not stable OC even preferred by Asus?

Did you perform a stability test to see if it is stable? Have you checked GPU temperatures while running games? Also, what power supply are you using?  I have heard of bad power supplies leading to artifacts in games.

My psu is Corsair 750 RM. Max GPU temps are 72-73C on load.

Increase the power target or add a bit more voltage with MSI Afterburner and see if it's stable. In my experience Asus cards needed slightly more voltage to run at intended speeds. Alternatively you could use MSI Afterburner and slightly lower the clock speed on the 980 and see if that helps.

From what you know that Asus cards needed slightly more voltage to run at intended speeds? You experienced similiar issue on stock speeds on asus cards?

From what you know that Asus cards needed slightly more voltage to run at intended speeds? You experienced similiar issue on stock speeds on asus cards?

Yeah my Asus GTX 760 had artifacting if I didn't increase the voltage & power target, and my friend's Asus 980s had the same issue.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Yeah my Asus GTX 760 had artifacting if I didn't increase the voltage & power target, and my friend's Asus 980s had the same issue.

Artifacting only in Far Cry 4 or in other games?

Listen. Its my second Asus Strix 980 and i have the same occasionally artifacting only in that game.

Artifacting only in Far Cry 4 or in other games?

Listen. Its my second Asus Strix 980 and i have the same occasionally artifacting only in that game.

I've never played Far Cry 4. For me it happened in Battlefield 4 and Saints Row 3 and the rest of my games were fine. I can't recall what games it happened to with my friend. Just try adding a bit of voltage OR slightly reducing the clock speed (by like 40MHz) on your 980 and see what happens. You're not gonna damage anything.

Its my second Asus Strix 980 and i have almost the same occasionally artifacting only in Far Cry 4. Its because Far Cry 4 dont like any OC even factory or its just a game?

If the card is surviving stuff like Unigine Heaven and 3DMark then i'm pretty sure it's the game.

If you want to test stuff

Clean drivers with DDU, Reinstall the drivers without GF Experience

Uninstall the game, reinstall it and try

Test the card in other PC

Try with different RAM

Listen. I tried to reproduce that yellow artifacts. And maybe after 6 launch of the game, they appear on the same place like on posted movie. So its a game\driver problem?Propably not card?

I've had no artifacting in Far Cry 4 with my STRIX 980, other then the game is still buggy as shit 8 patchs later. But i've NEVER seen yellow artifacting like that before. Update your drivers and DO NOT use that lame ass geforce experience, do it yourself

Run clean install option as well and don't install anything other then nvidia drivers and physix, uncheck everthing else after choosing "CUSTOM INSTALL"

looks like issues with shadows. Try changing the shadow settings.

I have 2 ASUS GTX 980 strix that I have overclocked to the max Asus gpu tweak allows me to go stable. I don't have artifacting issues like that.

But my experience with Far cry 4 has been terrible. It crashes all the time. I have tried many different things even running at stock clocks. Doesn't make a difference.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

looks like issues with shadows.

I have 2 ASUS GTX 980 strix that I have overclocked to the max Asus gpu tweak allows me to go stable. I don't have artifacting issues like that.

But my experience with Far cry 4 has been terrible. It crashes all the time. I have tried many different things even running at stock clocks. Doesn't make a difference.

The 1.8 patch also completely broke "Soft Shadows" under Nvidia, so be sure shadows are ultra setting or lower. 

That yellow artifacts always appear on the same place in game. I dont get them in other places. Always when i walk to the same place like on that movie. It can be graphic card or its a game\driver issue because its always on the same place in game?

Take a look, i upload next movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj84rxa1VSc

What you think?

if you're only seeing it in one game and if you tested your card in many games and benchmarks and not seen artifacting. You saying it's only that place then I would say it's a game issue not the card.

My experience with artifacting back in my 7900 GTX days. I never saw color like that.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

That yellow artifacts always appear on the same place in game. I dont get them in other places. Always when i walk to the same place like on that movie. It can be graphic card or its a game\driver issue because its always on the same place in game?

Take a look, i upload next movie:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj84rxa1VSc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj84rxa1VSc[/url

What you think?

Driver issue by far