what happens when you screw into the radiator?

A common thing I think, the screws are too long but you fully tighten them and so you screw into the radiator. Does that reduce performance or could it leak?

A common thing I think, the screws are too long but you fully tighten them and so you screw into the radiator. Does that reduce performance or could it leak?

If it hits the zig-zag metal, it wont do anything. If it hits the metal "bars" between the zig-zags, it could cause a leak.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

If it hits the zig-zag metal, it wont do anything. If it hits the metal "bars" between the zig-zags, it could cause a leak.

These bars contain the coolant, don't they?

Yeppers. Most radiators are set up so that the "zig-zags" are under the screw holes, but some have the pipes under the screw holes.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

The coolant runs through those tubes so never hit them with a screw if you do our rad is done, unless you want to try your hand at soldering the hole test the screw length and fan before just screwing everything in place.

Yep, but the "zig zags" only dissipate the heat. Most Rads are designed for the screws to hit the zig zags, so its fine most of the time.

Yes, dont lose your coolant

CPUi7 4790k (4.0 Ghz)| MotherboardMSI Z97 Gaming-5 ATX LGA1150| RAM: 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro(DDR3-1600, Red 4x4Gb)GPUEVGA GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0| CaseFractal Design Define R5 (Black with Window)| StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB and Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD| PSUCorsair HX750i 80+ Platinum| Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" CoolingCorsair H100i GTX| Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB| MouseRazer Deathadder Chroma|

Yes, dont lose your coolant

But then you know what it means to "watercool"  your PC xD

as long as the manufacturer of the radiator was smart and didnt put any of the pipes under the screws you should be fine

if it just bends the fins nothing will leak

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The "zig-zags" are called fins. A few bent fins, no biggie. If you hit and perforate the water channels in between, yes biggie. 

If you're worried about this I think Alphacool and XS-PC rads have metal shrouds to protect against over-screwing.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

But then you know what it means to "watercool"  your PC xD

Haha yea

CPUi7 4790k (4.0 Ghz)| MotherboardMSI Z97 Gaming-5 ATX LGA1150| RAM: 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro(DDR3-1600, Red 4x4Gb)GPUEVGA GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0| CaseFractal Design Define R5 (Black with Window)| StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1TB and Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD| PSUCorsair HX750i 80+ Platinum| Display(s) Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" CoolingCorsair H100i GTX| Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB| MouseRazer Deathadder Chroma|