need a bit of advice, chrome is too cray

So the premise..

Recently my chrome browser has been choking or just straight up freezing windows during loading pages whatever and after reading around articles etc, i think i've narrowed it down to my cpu being loaded too heavily. I used the task manager thing inside chrome a lot of the pages i kept tabbed was taking up alot of resources and proceeded to cleaning it all up.

At the moment, i feel like i should look to upgrading my cpu not just so something like this doesn't happen in future but to round out my system as well. However i dont have the funds to do so. i figure pushing my overclock some more may help a little bit as well but i dont want the longevity to be affected too much.

My question is: should i keep pushing my overclock? :/

any help is appreciated, thanks

real quick specs:

G3258 @ 4.5 ghz, 1.3V

Z87 gryphon

avexir core 8gb

powercolour turbo 280x

silverstone td02 cooler

evga 850 g2

samsung 840 128gb ssd

wd 1tb black

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson  :D  

universal fix for all life's problems: stop using chrome

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Until Firefox/palemoon/etc stop freezing when I right click a video, I'm on Chrome.

I hate chrome, but I'll be damned if it's not the most functional thing now.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Would be nice to know what your PC was, OP.

gonna add it in a minute hold up

i have all my bookmarks and stuff across my laptop too ;p. crossed fingers spartan will be half way decent tho

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson  :D  

Probably hitting RAM cap, Chrome gobbles it all day. How many GB do you have installed?

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Probably hitting RAM cap, Chrome gobbles it all day. How many GB do you have installed?

added mang!

added mang!

would be odd to hit 8gb that quick, although with the G3258 I suppose there could be some lag time associated with mashing new tab. Where's your OC at?

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

would be odd to hit 8gb that quick, although with the G3258 I suppose there could be some lag time associated with mashing new tab. Where's your OC at?

4.5 ghz chilling at 30 degrees celcius

buy 4690K and OC that. Or i7.

i mentioned i dont enough $ for an upgrade  <_<

4.5 ghz chilling at 30 degrees celcius

Voltage? Best case you can squeeze out 1-300 MHz while staying within reasonable 24/7 voltage, unless you have a golden chip :D

I never had issues with the G3258 I built out, but I don't use Chrome :huh:

If you're not hitting a RAM cap and it's not an OS related error there's not much you can do besides save for an upgrade.

Voltage? Best case you can squeeze out 1-300 MHz while staying within reasonable 24/7 voltage, unless you have a golden chip :D

I never had issues with the G3258 I built out, but I don't use Chrome :huh:

If you're not hitting a RAM cap and it's not an OS related error there's not much you can do besides save for an upgrade.

i kept it at 1.3 volts. i was thinking sort of the same thing, hopefully keeping it at 1.3 or only adding a touch more voltage. Thanks for the input  :lol:

i mentioned i dont enough $ for an upgrade  <_<

If you're overdrawing a 4.5GHz dual core, then no dual core + HT at ~3.3GHz is good enough, and you can't afford the i5 or i7. So... you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

All I can suggest is using adblock (HUGELY cuts power especially from a ton of tabs) and stuff like noscript to cut down on random stuff running. It'll also save on RAM a lot, in case you're running out of that.

Aside from that, a different browser might be in order. There was this one loosely based off firefox that was done by some Opera guys but I forget its name. Black Cat or something. Wish I could suggest that browser to you now. Good luck.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

The problem is not with your CPU, it's with Chrome. It has turned into a massive resource hog lately. It's gluttony is a well documented issue, Google says it's looking into it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

- First thing you can do is switch to Firefox and use Chrome as your secondary browser. Right now, Firefox is much faster and you can export all your bookmarks from Chrome to it.

- Second thing you can do, If you really don't want to switch to Firefox, is close some of your Chrome extensions. That's gonna help a bit but it will still run slowly.

- Whatever you do, don't push your OC for a web browser. That's like taking meth because your coffee grinder is slow.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

- Whatever you do, don't push your OC for a web browser. That's like taking meth because your coffee grinder is slow.

<3

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

The problem is not with your CPU, it's with Chrome. It has turned into a massive resource hog lately. It's gluttony is a well documented issue, Google says it's looking into it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

- First thing you can do is switch to Firefox and use Chrome as your secondary browser. Right now, Firefox is much faster and you can export all your bookmarks from Chrome to it.

- Second thing you can do, If you really don't want to switch to Firefox, is close some of your Chrome extensions. That's gonna help a bit but it will still run slowly.

the struggle.... but you make a valid point lol