EFF: If You Want to Fix Software Patents, Eliminate Software Patents

GettyImages_483223493-660x440.jpg

Personally I think there should be a very fine line between what kind of patents that get allowed and what kind get tossed into the "can't patent it, everyone can use it" bin. Every now and then someone comes up with and implements a truly outstanding piece of software/hardware that IMHO deserves to be protected for the work that got put in. 

On the other hand, patent trolls (big and small) abuse the system by patenting and suing one another over the most silly and arbitrary nonsense. Clearly a fix is needed at some level, I just don't know where. 

The argument is that software patents may not just be flawed, but utterly unnecessary. This hasn’t always been EFF’s stance on patents, says Adi Kamdar, one of the report’s authors. But as the group compiled the report, it received 16,500 public comments from people in the business, academic, and policy communities. The idea that patents should be eliminated entirely was a common theme.

“A big chunk of the engineers we talked to, and even some of the lawyers and activists and policy folk don’t like software patents at all,” Kamdar says. “They said it hinders their innovation flows when they think about creating new things, and the idea of operating in a patent minefield really hurts them.”

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/eff-eliminate-software-patents/

i think patents need a minimum level of detail to be sort of decided, to the point that if someone read the patent they would be able to create what it describes. because some things are just stupid

In my opinion patents should only be allowed to finished work, not an idea. Some patents are written in most broad terms possible...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

i think patents need a minimum level of detail to be sort of decided, to the point that if someone read the patent they would be able to create what it describes. because some things are just stupid

I think that you should have up to three years after registering the patent to get something to market (and not just licensing the patent to a third party), or it goes public domain.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II