CPU running at higher than safe temperatures

So today I found out that my CPU, an i7 860, is running at about 80 degrees C on full load, while its recommended temperature is around 72C. Should I invest in watercooling or just apply some thermal paste. I am planning on using applications such as Folding@Home frequently as well as gaming.

post-187562-0-87462100-1422689973.png

post-187562-0-87462100-1422689973.png

So today I found out that my CPU, an i7 860, is running at about 80 degrees C on full load, while its recommended temperature is around 72C. Should I invest in watercooling or just apply some thermal paste. I am planning on using applications such as Folding@Home frequently as well as gaming.

What program are you using to test load

How is airflow in the case, what cpu cooler are you using? And when was the last time you replaced the thermal paste. That CPU has been around for a while, so i'd imagine the answer to that is similar.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Lower your voltages. 

Also, anything below 80c should be fine. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

80 degrees isn't the TJMax for that chip. That's the highest temp they want at the IHS. I'm fairly certain 1st gen i7s can handle up to like 100 degrees before it's dangerous.

http://ark.intel.com/products/43126/Intel-Core-i7-920XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-2_00-GHzsee how this mobile chip's max temp is 100 degrees? It's the same kind of silicon underneath, but it's bare die because mobile chip.

For further proof, look at this, the old i7-950 http://ark.intel.com/products/37150/Intel-Core-i7-950-Processor-8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

my 950 in my D900F hit 90 degrees TONS while I was streaming over the years. Tons and tons of times. It's STILL working. It's over 4 and a half years old now, and I've been streaming almost since I got it.

In short:

1 - That temp is fine.

2 - If it worries you, get a nicer CPU cooler like a Hyper 212 Evo

3 - If already have, use better thermal paste like IC Diamond, Gelid GC Extreme, Arctic Céramique 2 or some fancy liquid metal stuff if your heatsink is copper, Coolaboratory Liquid Ultra

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

What program are you using to test load

How is airflow in the case, what cpu cooler are you using? And when was the last time you replaced the thermal paste. That CPU has been around for a while, so i'd imagine the answer to that is similar.

The case is an NZXT S340, so that shouldnt be a problem. Also, I currently have not replaced the thermal paste, and am using a stock cooler. Using F@H to load CPU.

Lower your voltages. 

Also, anything below 80c should be fine. 

I am not overclocking my cpu , however if i can get my temps down I could use some advice on how to do it.

Edited by pcgamerandaudiophile

The case is an NZXT S340, so that shouldnt be a problem. Also, I currently have not replaced the thermal paste, and am using a stock cooler. Using F@H to load CPU.

I am not overclocking my cpu , however if i can get my temps down I could use some advice on how to do it.

Ok that should rule that out, the s340 is an awesome case. I would assume that your using all the slots for fans?

What program are you using to create a full load situation?

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Is it overclocked? Those volts are way high.

Lookie here, AnandTech only got it to 1.352V when overclcoked to 3.53Ghz

You're either pushing it too hard or overvolting it too much.

Those were Motherboard voltages, i think

Ah I see. Hopefully he is able to see his volts to cross reference.

If volts are fine then it might be worth getting a new cooler and TIM as above said.

Thanks I'll look into it. Any recommendations?

You can go with what D2ultima suggested above. The Hyper 212 is a very cheap yet very good aftermarket cooler. Although I don't think its worth getting those fancy abrasive/conductive thermal compounds. 

Only Liquid Ultra is conductive. The rest are the same kind of compounds as MX-4 for example.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday