Should I build now or wait for more 2015 hardware?

Tony.C

Hi Everyone.

LSS I have a 3 year old desktop PC that works perfectly fine. I had built it with my brother 3 years ago without knowing much of anything. So the choice of parts definitely do not make sense as we just decided to buy a bundle and whatever we could find at the time during boxing day. Recently, I have started to learn more about how to actually build PC's and was really fascinated by the MITX form factors, but my only issue was wondering if this is a good time to start the build as there should be price drops in the upcoming months with newer 2015 hardware on the horizon and also being Canadian, our currency has dipped quite a bit lately causing parts to also increase in price.

This is my current pc:

CPU: I7 960 3.2 no overclock

MOBO: MSI BIG BANG-X POWER

Memory: G. Skill Rip Jaws X 16 GB (4x4 1600mhz) - yah.. this was stupid of us.. we didnt know better at the time..

GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6870 1GB

PSU: Seasonic 660x gold modular

SSD: Kingston sv300 120 GB 

HDD: 2 TB WD Black

Case: Corsair 400r

Do you guys think it is a good time to start building or wait for newer hardware and price drops?

If you wait, you won't stop.

New hardware coming out all the time (every 3-4 weeks)

CPU: Intel Core I5 4590 | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC | Mobo: ASRock Fatality H97 Performance | Ram: HyperX Fury 8gb 1866 | SSD: Intel 520 series 240 GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Aerocool DS 200 red/black | Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X | PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620w | Monitor: AOC i2367fh & old HP | OS: Windowws 7

I would wait.

Hi Everyone.

LSS I have a 3 year old desktop PC that works perfectly fine. I had built it with my brother 3 years ago without knowing much of anything. So the choice of parts definitely do not make sense as we just decided to buy a bundle and whatever we could find at the time during boxing day. Recently, I have started to learn more about how to actually build PC's and was really fascinated by the MITX form factors, but my only issue was wondering if this is a good time to start the build as there should be price drops in the upcoming months with newer 2015 hardware on the horizon and also being Canadian, our currency has dipped quite a bit lately causing parts to also increase in price.

This is my current pc:

CPU: I7 960 3.2 no overclock

MOBO: MSI BIG BANG-X POWER

Memory: G. Skill Rip Jaws X 16 GB (4x4 1600mhz) - yah.. this was stupid of us.. we didnt know better at the time..

GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6870 1GB

PSU: Seasonic 660x gold modular

SSD: Kingston sv300 120 GB 

HDD: 2 TB WD Black

Case: Corsair 400r

Do you guys think it is a good time to start building or wait for newer hardware and price drops?

Big jumps coming up soon, R9 3xx series and with it whole new motherboards and fun things. Normally i would say DONT WAIT, new tech comes out all the time, but a whole new series of cards that are completely innovative? Damn... Wait for that, that only comes around every 2 years or so. Nvidia has their 900 series delivering some of the best efficiency with power/performance ratio ever, and AMD is putting out cards with like, 4x the memory bus of all current gen chips... Can't wait to see what they do!

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If you wait, you won't stop.

New hardware coming out all the time (every 3-4 weeks)

Yes, you are correct on that and I have been thoroughly researching for parts, but with recent news on the gtx970's (a part I really wanted to incorporate) still up in the air. I was just thinking if I should wait to see if there was going to be a solution or a better alternative.

My new build was going to look more or less like this:

CPU: I7 4790k or I5 4960k (still undecided with this, I do not do any video editting, but Im just wondering if getting the i7 would future proof it for a few years)

MOBO: Asus z97i-Plus mitx

CPU cooler: Corsair h100i

GPU: gtx 970 of some sort

SSD/HDD: Was planning to reuse the Kingston sv300 120GB and 2 TB WD black

RAM: Was planning to reuse some of those Rip Jaws for 8 GB

PSU: Corsair RM 650

Case: Corsair 250D

I would wait.

Big jumps coming up soon, R9 3xx series and with it whole new motherboards and fun things. Normally i would say DONT WAIT, new tech comes out all the time, but a whole new series of cards that are completely innovative? Damn... Wait for that, that only comes around every 2 years or so. Nvidia has their 900 series delivering some of the best efficiency with power/performance ratio ever, and AMD is putting out cards with like, 4x the memory bus of all current gen chips... Can't wait to see what they do!

Yah. I was reading up on a lot of great stuff coming out.. and I mean if the prices are ridiculous then at least some of the current hardware will drop.