Home Network

SharpY

Okay this is going to be more of a discussion on the subject.

I was thinking when I move out and own my own house (I'm 18 so that's quite a while from now), that I would run wired in my walls and have hubs in convenient locations like smart TV's and where I might sit with a laptop.

I was thinking of have like 4 or 6 port wall plates and run maybe like 20 cables total just for overkill.

The reason I say this is more of just a discussion is because I'm the only one in my house right now that would find it useful since I have the only wired connection and our Router sends even a 5ghz Band decently through the house after I relocated it. So that rules out a WiFi repeater.  

My thoughts of how I would do it are:

Get 500ft of CAT6 cable, bunch of the crimp ends and keystones and do it all myself.

Run them straight down (My room is above our Living room with a home entertainment system), Run one out the wall to outside to take over the old phone line that has a Cat5e running to a perfect spot for a Wifi repeater, and possibly somewhere else for a home office and printer and maybe another smart TV.

That and then replace the current cable coaxial with a blank wallplate and put a coaxial keystone in a 6 port plate.

I think it would actually look very nice as our house already has surround sound cables in the wall in the right spots that we actually already use.

Kill all the cable build up and then it would look beautiful.

What do you guys think about this kind of thing? 

Ever Worth it? or just Get an AC router and just use wifi everywhere.

total cost for FIRST time supplies to run cable came out to around 350 for what I found on amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2QVKEH07ER10E/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go_o?

Check out my rig on my profile, Here!

Phone: Note 4 (32GB, White, 64GB "Mobile Ultra" mSD); Back-up Note 3 (32GB, Black)

Check out my internet speed, HERE!!!!!1!!!

The house I bought was wired by the previous owner.  I don't  know how he pulled it off.  It is very old and has plaster walls.  It must have been a pain.  

I currently run around 6 wired (including two access points) connections with static IP addresses and run the Chromecasts and mobile devices on wifi.  

It is nice having the reliability of a wired connection, but the work to get it may be arduous.  It sounds like you would probably enjoy it so I wish you luck/fun!

I think at a 500ft cable, you are better off with Wi-Fi, as the technology of Wifi is probably going to get better. However, I am saying this because I am too lazy to do something like wire cables through walls. If you want that reliability then do it.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Its still a work in progress... but this is how I am doing it:

One jack near the center of every wall on every room in the house

One in the ceiling of the closet of a central room for an access point

Two in the kitchen on the backsplash for mounting an IP phone, giving me options.

One in every spot in the living and family rooms that a TV might possibly go.

Three sets of two in the office, I figure IP phone, printer, and computer at a minimum will be in there.

Several ran to the eves of the house in random places for IP cameras, if I ever decide to put them up.

Two being trenched in when I trench new power lines to the pole in the back yard for a IP camera and an outdoor AP.

Two trenched to my detached garage for LAG since I have my workshop out there.

One to the roof to hookup a Ubiquiti dish to shoot internet out to a field in the country.

I run a home server, so WiFi is out of the question for me personally since most all of my data is accessed from it. I'm obviously going overkill, but I have the basement gutted currently with easy access, so I'd rather do it now than when I have drywall up and try fishing. Figured I would list everything I'm doing as it may spark an idea for something you might have forgotten.

Everything goes to the closet in my to-be office, I have two runs of 1" conduit going from the utility room to that closet so I can pull cables after the walls are up. All of the cables are being punched down to a 24 port patch panel, I'm going to have to add a second one soon as its about full... When I move out I'll buy a 2U wall mount bracket and move the patch panels out of my rack and attach them somewhere in the closet.

If you are going through the work of wiring, do not cheap out on your wire. Get Cat6a which is rated for 10gbps, so you won't have to worry about replacing it anytime soon. If you really want to stick with Cat6, buy better quality Cat6. I am using Cat5e punchdowns with my Cat6a wire to save money, as Cat6a are still ~$5 ea, and will be much cheaper and easy to swap out when I actually need the speeds of 10gbe, and can afford a 10gbe switch.

Buy these for the keystones: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Punch-Down-Impact-Blade/dp/B0072K1QHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422142110&sr=8-1&keywords=110+punch  http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Keystone-Punch-Stand/dp/B00MHWRYMQ/ref=pd_sim_hi_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TKQ2409RR10YJ4G15WS

IMG_20150103_193923887.jpg

Its a wiring nightmare atm, still need to add some ducting for managing the cables, buy another shelf, and spiral wrap the Cat6a into one bundle.

I cabled my house after I bought it, it wasnt so bad, there were a couple of key things.

1. I hung a wall mounted cabinet in my garage, it was up high so I could walk under it so it took up 0 realestate, I had my NAS, UPS, Switch and Patch panel in there, everything was run back to this location. Because it was up high on the wall it was no problem to push the cables through the wall to it, no noggins to worry about..

2. The 'study' this already had a phone point in it so it was easy, I just tied the cat5e (in my case) and then climbed into the roof and pulled it up and back to the switch location, rinse and repeat for as many connections desired.

3. The Lounge, this was also pretty simple as there was a coax antenna cable I could again tie cat5e to and pull up into the roof. Much the same as the 'study'

4. The Master bedroom, pretty much exactly the same as the lounge!

I guess, if you can pick locations where you already have some sort of termination (phone or TV antenna) it should be super easy! If there's nothing there then it makes things harder.

I am in a new place now after just selling and I have wifi to the bedroom and lounge. I have a good router (Asus AC68U) and upgraded all wireless nics to AC compatible ones and it works pretty well but no where near as good as physical connections. I notice funks specially when waking from a snooze or something like that. A restart will fix it every time but it just a quirk, i'd much rather a hardline connection.