LED strip questions.

slifer

There is no reason to use a fan header if you are using the IR controller though I have found that motherboards are more electrically resilient than people give them credit for and still not physically resilient as I'd like.

Though it is quite simple to use a fan header to control LEDs through software and the only way you would cause damage to the motherboard would be through catastrophic error or failure. You would have to directly wire positive to ground coming out of the board (which you'd only have the header directly touching the pins). Even if you hooked the LED strip in backwards the biggest issue is the lights will not power on and can be fixed by simply correcting the two wires. Caution is always necessary but there are protection circuits built in that will protect you most times from mistakes. But as always if you are not comfortable to do something, then it is usually best not to :)

I would wire it to a molex because then you don't have an extra box of clutter and the PSU provides a nice 12V for you already through molex.

Check out my 100% scratch built Tree Stump computer case: http://bit.ly/1IS2yIL

My Industrial X-Mas Present Case Mod: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/273053-one-day-build-industrial-ish-case-mod-for-x-mas/

I just was being careful because when i did it i said i hooked the IR module to a fan controller(seperate from the case) and people new to wiring in general might accidentally cross wires.

Travis

can someone make a video on doing this? or recommend a video. I'm planning on doing this to my computer too 

can someone make a video on doing this? or recommend a video. I'm planning on doing this to my computer too

I second this, it'll make it a lot easier for us to learb

I would love to however i am a university student with not much time. if you guys could post or pm any thoughts or questions you had so i could know what to include i will do so when i end up being available to do so.

Travis

Are there LED strips that can do a spectrum cycle effect? It would be awesome since I have the Razer BW Chroma and deathadder chroma xD

how would you power up the led since it uses a DC power source. 

how would you power up the led since it uses a DC power source. 

Using a 12v(Yellow) cable from a PSU. Site that sell LED strips like mine use either a 4pin molex or 3pin fan connector.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Using a 12v(Yellow) cable from a PSU. Site that sell them like mine use either a 4pin molex or 3pin fan connector.

can you send me the site

can you send me the site

Addon Customs

You can customise the power cable length sleeved with black paracord, will be adding some new colours of sleeving to choose from very soon. Also pick what connector you like. You also have a choice between using the 3528 chip and the 5050 chip, our site explains the difference.

Are there LED strips that can do a spectrum cycle effect? It would be awesome since I have the Razer BW Chroma and deathadder chroma xD

I have been working on getting hold of a new type of LED strip, that can output multiple colours at one. Here are some picture - http://imgur.com/a/r5rjj- I hope to have them available to buy within the next few months.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Just use any LED strip you want, i bought mine in a AutoZone store, (they are car LED strips) they use 12v so can be attached to any molex connector, i will post photos of how mine is set and can be done with any, even the CHEAPEST soldering iron you can find

I have 2 LED strips so i soldered the 2 positive cables to the positive lead on a molex cable i had laying around and the same with the negative cable, you can see it here:
BygFGxU.jpg

Then i decided to place the strips on the panel itself, the light will be more visible this way, but what happens when i wanted to take off the panel? i had to remove the back panel too and disconnect the molex connector, ugh:

h8Nn8gR.jpg

Then i tough something, i de-soldered a floppy connector from a floppy drive i had laying around and a floppy connector from an Old PSU i had laying around too and made this:

oSCYa4W.jpg

i cut the cable by the half and soldered the connector from the left side and now i dont have to take the back side panel to remove the front panel and the LEDs

MtjoZak.jpg

It looks pretty good, the sunlight dont do any justice but believe me, any LED strip you can find (even in a AutoZone) is good

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

I have a question for my motherboard power switch wiring. I ordered the mod-smart 22 mm momentary switch with blue led. This is the harness that came with it.

http://gyazo.com/83a6268e7c48b0e9318c91ad78cd7435

The four connectors aren't labeled for the diagram, so will I have to take off the plastic tube that is holding all four wires together?