Samsung announces ATIV Book 9 Plus, ATIV Book 9 Lite notebooks

Today Samsung announced the next generation of their Series 9 ultrabook which they now renamed the ATIV Book 9 Plus and ATIV Book 9 Lite.

gsmarena_000.jpg

Of course they both run Windows 8 and use Haswell CPUs, they feature aluminium unibodies and 13.3" displays with touch screens. Probably the most interesting spec though is the 3200 x 1800 QHD+ resolution (sounds like a UI nightmare until Microsoft gets the scaling fixed) on the Plus version. 

The Plus comes in both Core i5 and i7 ULT flavours and is said to provide 12 hours of battery life (according to Samsung of course). It has 2xUSB 3.0 ports and weights 1.39Kg

gsmarena_005.jpggsmarena_006.jpggsmarena_007.jpggsmarena_008.jpg

The cheaper Lite version comes with a traditional 1366x768 display and touch screen as an option. Samsung only refers to the CPU as a "Quad Core Processor (up to 1.4 GHz)" but I'm guessing their using ULT CPUs unless they don't care about this being considered an ultrabook (even if you have the touch screen option). It weighs 1.44-1.58Kg depending on that touchscreen option, has 1xUSB 3.0 port and 1xUSB 2.0 port on the other side and will be available in black or white

gsmarena_001.jpggsmarena_002.jpggsmarena_003.jpggsmarena_004.jpg

IE9W9OM.png

There is no info on price and availability just yet.

Source: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-announces-ativ-book-9-plus-ativ-book-9-lite-ultrabooks/

How do you think this stacks up against other ultrabooks such as the ASUS Zenbook Infinity and Aspire S7, or perhaps hybrid devices such as the ATIV Q or ASUS Zenbook Trio?

I think it's looking like a really good option, the pricing is what can really make this a good option or not because judging by Series 9 prices I expect the prices to be too high for the Plus and the Lite lacks features compared to the competitors. The QHD+ display definitely sounds nice but I'm sceptical as to how good it will actually be with the horrible UI scaling which Windows suffers with high DPI displays, at least until 8.1 fixes it (or not). About the looks, I have always love the way the Series 9 looked, I still consider it the sexiest laptop ever (yes far ahead of any macbook pro/air IMO), but I have obviously not yet seen the ZBI which also looks pretty damn amazing, I love the look of my UX31 but the glass back definitely looks even more gorgeous than that in pictures, let alone IRL.

Hello, Like the Ativ Q, Samsung released another interesting system, reports The Verge.

The Ultrabook 13inh that is thinner than the macbook air, and has a 12h of battery life, and a gorgeous 3200x1800 screen.

The screen is also multi-touch, and like the predecessor of the Samsung Ativ Book series, it features it's large multi-touch touch pad.

Like the Macbook Air, it uses a unibody aluminum construct.

DSC02416_verge_super_wide.jpg

It features 2x USB 3.0, micro HDMI, and SD card reader. And plug for an adapter for Ethernet.

DSC_0089_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC02417_verge_super_wide.jpg

VLS_0159_verge_super_wide.jpg

DSC_0078_verge_super_wide.jpg

Source and more pictures: http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/20/4450036/samsung-ativ-book-9-plus-the-new-ultrabook-champion

What do you think?

Well your post got buried :)

Sure but it was still on the front page and a quick search away :P

girls girls, you are both pretty. now lets talk about that nice nice ratio.

too bad they can't possibly play league of legends at full resolution.

girls girls, you are both pretty. now lets talk about that nice nice ratio.

too bad they can't possibly play league of legends at full resolution.

Yeah but for the kind of people this is aimed at the new iGPUs should be more than enough even at that resolution. The ZBI is actually the most powerful, not that it matters much.

wow! so I plan on buying an ultra book and if the plus has 12 or close to that battery life; hello new ultra book.

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

Yeah but for the kind of people this is aimed at the new iGPUs should be more than enough even at that resolution. The ZBI is actually the most powerful, not that it matters much.

i just want the ability for greater than 200 ppi at league of legends on all high.

also, if i could get a amd based laptop that could do 150 ppi i'd buy it up in a heartbeat.