ASUS Zenbook Infinity: Hands On with the Most Beautiful Notebook at Computex

DSC_0589_678x452.jpg

Some of you may remember my previous post about the new Zenbook Infinity being present at Computex, but nobody was allowed to touch it and we didn't know much about the specs. One thing we did know for sure was that it was very beautiful, probably the best looking notebook at Computex.

The guys at Anandtech have managed to get a hands on with a fully functional 13.3" version, featuring a 2560x1440 capacitive touch IPS panel and a Gorilla Glass 3 lid. However it still keeps the radial brushed finish from previous Zenbooks/Transformers on the aluminium underneath the glass. The result looks extremely beautiful from the picture and I bet it looks even better IRL. I hope ASUS has used an oleophobic layer to decrease fingerprints, though.

DSC_0573_575px.jpg

The version they had actually has a dark blue finish on it and the ASUS logo is illuminated. The build quality, trackpad and keyboard felt great on the prototype machine (nice to hear considering how annoying the trackpad on the UX31 can be from experience).
 DSC_0595_575px.jpg

A big problem with high resolutions on small displays is that Windows does not scale well at all, as can be seen with the previous Zenbook models featuring a 1080p display, we can only hope Microsoft will fix that in W8.1, which they should considering their major competitor already has a product with similar PPI to this (MBP13" and possibly the MBA 13" at WWDC or later this year).

DSC_0561_575px.jpg

Internally the Zenbook has a Core i7-4558U featuring Intel's Iris 5100 graphics, which should be  good for the tasks this notebook is made for (word processing, browsing, video etc.) while also being very power efficient. There is no mention, however of what the expected battery life is.

There is no word on when it will be available but Anandtech expects it to be released close to Windows 8.1 launch, hopefully that means the DPI scaling problem will be fixed.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7035/asus-zenbook-infinity-hands-on-with-the-most-beautiful-notebook-at-computex

What do you think about this product? If the DPI scaling issues with windows are fixed, do you think you'd be convinced to buy this/something similar? Have you ever seen a sexier notebook?

I personally love the UX31, the thinness and lightness really make it a great laptop to carry for school and it performs very smooth during everyday tasks so I can only expect this to be even better. Depending on the price and whether the issues I talked about are fixed, I might consider buying one around Christmas time.

Whaaaaaaaaat? 2560x1440?

I don't see the point but I want it just for bragging rights. Pricing will probably be pretty rough though,

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

ASUS always impresses me

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I fell short of breath when I laid eyes on the first picture up there. I'd probably pass out when I see it in person!

dem so beautiful.. :wub:

Even better. Hands on video:

The ASUS logo glows on the lid.  :wub:

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Even better. Hands on video:

The ASUS logo glows on the lid.  :wub:

Let's hope Linus or Paul upload videos of it because the video quality definitely doesn't do it any justice :(.

Let's hope Linus or Paul upload videos of it because the video quality definitely doesn't do it any justice :(.

Agreed. That was the only video I'd stumbled upon which wasn't of the laptop behind that damn glass/acrylic case ASUS had it in :/.

Quite worried about the resolution, though. Windows just isn't ready for ultra-high res just yet, and it will take far longer to implement than it took Apple.

Would have rathered they went with 1080p and let the Iris shine without having to worry about pushing so many pixels.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Agreed. That was the only video I'd stumbled upon which wasn't of the laptop behind that damn glass/acrylic case ASUS had it in :/.

Quite worried about the resolution, though. Windows just isn't ready for ultra-high res just yet, and it will take far longer to implement than it took Apple.

Would have rathered they went with 1080p and let the Iris shine without having to worry about pushing so many pixels.

for mainly just using windows it should be responsive being mostly the performance of a gt 650m and turning down the res. would be fine in games on a screen this size.

Linus has made a video of ASUS' booth featuring the ZBI in the acrylic box which we saw a few days ago. It's not working but you do get a better idea of the beautiful styling on the back

for mainly just using windows it should be responsive being mostly the performance of a gt 650m and turning down the res. would be fine in games on a screen this size.

As I discussed in the article, performance is definitely not the problem here, iris has no problem running a PC smoothly if you're doing everyday tasks such as browsing, watching videos, using office etc. It won't be able to offer a good gaming experience, but that's not what it's meant to do, if you want that you'll have to get a gaming notebook.

The problem with such a high resolution and such a small screen size is that the windows UI scales horribly making it uncomfortable to use because everything is so small. Other operating systems can scale the UI based on DPI (such as android) or based on specific coding from the manufacturer which will limit the variety of devices but guarantee that the experience will be optimal(that's what Apple uses),

Microsoft has not figured out a way to scale the UI well which is also why WP cannot support 1080p phones and displays with high PPI do not look right, all elements look tiny. Anandtech has mentioned the possibility that Windows 8.1 might fix that issue, at least for the current situation and this ultrabook might be planned to release close to 8.1 release so it takes advantage of that feature. It's all speculation but I really hope it's true.

Damn, that's sexy. I'd just be afraid of dropping it and breaking the glass.

As I discussed in the article, performance is definitely not the problem here, iris has no problem running a PC smoothly if you're doing everyday tasks such as browsing, watching videos, using office etc. It won't be able to offer a good gaming experience, but that's not what it's meant to do, if you want that you'll have to get a gaming notebook.

The problem with such a high resolution and such a small screen size is that the windows UI scales horribly making it uncomfortable to use because everything is so small. Other operating systems can scale the UI based on DPI (such as android) or based on specific coding from the manufacturer which will limit the variety of devices but guarantee that the experience will be optimal(that's what Apple uses),

Microsoft has not figured out a way to scale the UI well which is also why WP cannot support 1080p phones and displays with high PPI do not look right, all elements look tiny. Anandtech has mentioned the possibility that Windows 8.1 might fix that issue, at least for the current situation and this ultrabook might be planned to release close to 8.1 release so it takes advantage of that feature. It's all speculation but I really hope it's true.

I sure hope so I can understand the poor scaling being a 1440p screen user.

Does anyone know if this is going to be considered to be an ultra book style notebook?

Gosh, this is a pretty looking ultrabook, especially with the gorilla glass 3 on the lid. If it runs haswell with hd 5100, then i might save up for it probably.

Does anyone know if this is going to be considered to be an ultra book style notebook?

It's an ultrabook, yes.

Very nice laptop :) I want.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I don't think Intel has officially declared this as an ultrabook but I bet that's what ASUS will build it for, ultrabook requirements for Haswell are more stringent than ever so it has a touchscreen, it should be able to boot faster, last longer, have better wifi and include Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software as well as the usual features.

Its a beautiful looking piece of hardware, have to say that I'm more excited about the functionality and flexibility of the trio though. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Looking to be my next laptop for uni. Really looking to grab some Haswell hardware for the battery life.

can I has one :P

Main Rig:
I7 3820 @ 4.3GHZ---Corsair H100i---EVGA X79 FTW---DDR3 2133 16GB--- Asus GTX 780 DCII--CM Storm Trooper---corsair AX860---OCZ vertex 4 256GB--WD BE 1TB

this is amazing but i want it for college but i am not sure it would be out by then and i hope it is at the same price point of existing UX31 style ultra books with 3rd gen Intel CPU's.