CPU temperatures while overclocking

When overclocking, do I look at the temperatures of the individual cores or just the whole CPU while I'm stress testing? The overclocking doc as a lot of temperatures around 70-80 C with an H100i, that's what I have cooling my CPU. The thing is when under stress, core #1, the hottest core, can get up to 97C! But just the CPU only gets up around 74 C. When people are posting their numbers, are they posting about their cores or the whole CPU? Thanks and please let me know if cores are allowed to get this hot or I'm just frying my chip... Thanks again.

What CPU and on what Oc are you?

Im on my Stock cooler with a overclock from 3.9Ghz to 4.4Ghz and the temp never goes above 60 for the CPU, I dont know the individual cores though since the only software that can read my CPU temps accordingly is MSI Control Panel, Everthing else says im on 90+ degrees C all the time even on a underclock.

Edited by Johannes_Lazor

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

What CPU and on what Oc are you?

4770k with 4.3GHz on 1.2v... Sorry I forgot to say that.

Well, what monitor are you using... also how confident are you in your thermal paste application that may be "THE" problem hardware wise - but i'd make sure there is no software

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

4770k with 4.3GHz on 1.2v... Sorry I forgot to say that.

Are you useing Prime95 for the stress testing?

If you are, Thats the problem since your V-core will boost and give you a higher temperature with the Haswell CPU's if im not mistaken when useing Prime95.

Edited by Johannes_Lazor

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Well, what monitor are you using... also how confident are you in your thermal paste application that may be "THE" problem hardware wise - but i'd make sure there is no software

What would the monitor have to do with high CPU temp readings?

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I'm using RealTempGT to monitor the temperatures. The H100i came with paste pre-applied to the copper so I don't think that having to little or to much is the problem I just think that some of the paste may not even be making contact with the CPU for some reason 

What would the monitor have to do with high CPU temp readings?

Some Monitoring software is not accurate with certain cpu's

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Are you useing Prime95 for the stress testing?

If you are, Thats the problem since your V-core will boost and give you a higher temperature with the Haswell CPU's if im not mistaken when useing Prime95.

No, I'm using the stress test that is built inside of Aida64 because this test is meant and built for Haswell CPUs. I just think I may have received a very bad overclocker that heats up way to much.

No, I'm using the stress test that is built inside of Aida64 because this test is meant and built for Haswell CPUs. I just think I may have received a very bad overclocker that heats up way to much.

Personally i'd never use the pre applied paste with a higher cooler ( just imo they typically aren't great) Thermal paste can make up to a 10 degree difference in some cases so i'd suggest if you are concerned to reapply a new paste. plus the most expensive ones are like 15 bucks, but do some research. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Personally i'd never use the pre applied paste with a higher cooler ( just imo they typically aren't great) Thermal paste can make up to a 10 degree difference in some cases so i'd suggest if you are concerned to reapply a new paste. plus the most expensive ones are like 15 bucks, but do some research. 

I think this is what I'll end up doing, buying new paste and applying it. But is there a way to make sure that the paste is evenly and well spread out? I think I have a phobia of not knowing if the thermal paste is well applied.

I think this is what I'll end up doing, buying new paste and applying it. But is there a way to make sure that the paste is evenly and well spread out? I think I have a phobia of not knowing if the thermal paste is well applied.

Personally I like the "X" method but thicker paste is good to spread. Overall, the pea dot that is a long grain of rice is effective as well or the line. The amount and the thermal paste itself being spread is the largest aspect to decide so long as it does get spread.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Personally I like the "X" method but thicker paste is good to spread. Overall, the pea dot that is a long grain of rice is effective as well or the line. The amount and the thermal paste itself being spread is the largest aspect to decide so long as it does get spread.

Thank you very much! Helped me out a lot!

Since thermal paste inside Intels chips isn't even surface you will definetly get some variation between cores. For me 90C on highest core or 86C average is the stopping point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv