Bad CPU or Motherboard?

Omon_Ra

I have a new X99 build that is giving me problems again. I had an issue with the original PSU, where it wouldn't boot or come out of sleep from time to time, but I had it RMA'ed and it was perfect for a few weeks; until tonight. I was editing some footage (just playback and simple trims/cuts) and it shut off and now will not turn back on. When I pressed the power button, I could hear a 'click' from the PSU, but then it would immediately shut off. (This is the same issues I had with the bad PSU; I emailed Corsair and said that I need to do more troubleshooting). When I unplugged the CPU 8-pin power cable, the BIOS would boot into debug code 00 ('not used'). I tried pulling the mobo battery for a few minutes; nothing. I reflashed the BIOS, but now with the CPU 8-pin disconnected it won't even make it to a debug code. I did plug in the 8pin for the GPU into all of the available spots on the PSU, just to make sure there wasn't a bad plug for some reason, but it worked on all of them. I swapped out the 8pin CPU cable for a second 8pin CPU cable that came with the PSU, no go. 

Figuring it was something with the CPU, I pulled the cooler, cleaned the thermal paste, resat the CPU and still nothing. The way my H100i is installed on the top of the R4, it does apply some pressure to the CPU 8-pin connector, but nothing that should cause issues, I can still wiggle the cables around and there isn't any crazy pressure on the connector/pins.

The system in question:

5930K @ 4.7GHz (up to 3 cores) / 4.6GHz (4-6 cores) @ 1.415v max turbo boost voltage set in BIOS. On a 10hr AIDA64 benchmark, it never actually pushed more than 1.395V to the core. Temps averaged around 70*C. It was a very stable overclock, I had rendered out videos for several hours and encoded some as well, and never had any issues. Then doing something not very stressful, it just crapped out. I had played Titanfall for several hours one night, everything maxed; and Borderlands The Presequel maxed out a few hours for a few nights; and never had any issues. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as this isn't just a gaming rig; I do need it for video editing/production.

Asus X99-Deluxe

Corsair RM1000

Asus GTX780 DCII

Try unplugging the Power Supply, and removing the battery from the motherboard to reset the bios. I've seen this happen with bad overclocks. Remember: overclocks can destabilize for a number of reasons.

Main System: [Windows 10 Pro] [Core i7 5960x] [Asus Rampage V Extreme] [32GB 2400mhz G.Skill Value] [Corsair AX1200] [RXT 2080 Super] [Corsair H100i] [Thermaltake Core P3]

To test if your PSU turns on, connect the green wire on the 24-pin connector with any black wire on the 24-pin connector. A paperclip works fine, but I would disconnect the PSU from your system before doing so.

Do you even custom Bios, bro?

Try unplugging the Power Supply, and removing the battery from the motherboard to reset the bios. I've seen this happen with bad overclocks. Remember: overclocks can destabilize for a number of reasons.

I did that, still didn't do anything.

To test if your PSU turns on, connect the green wire on the 24-pin connector with any black wire on the 24-pin connector. A paperclip works fine, but I would disconnect the PSU from your system before doing so.

I checked that as well...I kinda forgot I had made a thread. I contacted Asus and they're RMA'ing it. I took it to a local computer shop and we tested it with a new PSU and it still wasn't even posting. I'm shipping it back after I return from holiday travels.