Camera for backpacking.

SMR

Hi,

I do a lot of backpacking/wilderness camping during summer time and I always had my GoPro with me for photos/videos. This summer I'm going on a 3 weeks backpacking trip to western Norway and I'm starting to look for a nice camera to bring with me along with my GoPro. 

Being a backpacker space is a huge concern, especially oversea, so a DSLR is way too big, too eye-catching, too heavy (weight is also a factor) and way too expensive.

I wan't good battery life, so maybe a 2 set of battery ? Or disposable batteries (I don't like this but it's easier to find when backpacking than a USB charger, dunno)

SD card slot with 32 or 64 gb support.

Good amount of megapixels, i wan't good photos of the panoramas there as well as good photos with my gf.

Shock/water proof ? I don't know, nice if it have it, but not prerequisite.

Anyway, I think you get the point. I don't know sh*t about cameras anyway.

Thank you :) 

Oh and also, if someone have tips about Norway, pm me ! :P  

SNIP

BUDGET?

Panasonic GX7 would be a fantastic option, my friend uses one as a backup to his Nikon D800 full frame dslr, and we are both really impressed by it, its LOVELY

Sony NEX, or Sony A7 (if in budget) would also be great

Alternatively

If you want something cheap, that takes AA batteries, get a cheap bridge camera, they are compact, most take AA batteries, and they are very versatile.. their image quality is not going to rival a DSLR or mirrorless, but its an option

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

BUDGET?

Panasonic GX7 would be a fantastic option, my friend uses one as a backup to his Nikon D800 full frame dslr, and we are both really impressed by it, its LOVELY

Sony NEX, or Sony A7 (if in budget) would also be great

Alternatively

If you want something cheap, that takes AA batteries, get a cheap bridge camera, they are compact, most take AA batteries, and they are very versatile.. their image quality is not going to rival a DSLR or mirrorless, but its an option

Hmm yeah budget.. didn't think of that. Let's say 350$/400$ but if you think something really worth it you can go over that, at this point i'm just checking what EXIST and educate myself so i look at everything you guys send me.

Thank you btw  :)

Hmm yeah budget.. didn't think of that. Let's say 350$/400$ but if you think something really worth it you can go over that, at this point i'm just checking what EXIST and educate myself so i look at everything you guys send me.

Thank you btw  :)

I think your best bet would be to look into a micro four thirds (or APSC) mirrorless camera, there are lots of models but generally most will do a good job

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think your best bet would be to look into a micro four thirds (or APSC) mirrorless camera, there are lots of models but generally most will do a good job

Looked at this a good time this morning, concluding that the price range is 500$ to 2000$ for these. I would be interested to see what a lower budget can get me. I should also look for used mirrorless, might get better deals.

Looked at this a good time this morning, concluding that the price range is 500$ to 2000$ for these. I would be interested to see what a lower budget can get me. I should also look for used mirrorless, might get better deals.

the answer, nothing good

there are tons under $500

http://www.henrys.com/83399-SONY-ALPHA-A5000-W-PZ-16-50-OSS-LENS-BLACK.aspx

http://www.henrys.com/81327-FUJIFILM-X-A1-BLACK-W-XC-16-50MM-LENS.aspx

SONY RX100 orginal or RX100mark III if you wand 24mm and wien finder

But if you are muule then take DSLR body and lens with you as many own

I high a lot last summer i was hiking in Samariá Gorge Greek newer missed my big "better" camera 

Sony RX100 picture of Samariá Gorge

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90455129@N06/15147806349/in/photostream/

I second the XA-1, or if you are lucky you can actually sometimes see the XE-1 body only new for $399

• 3 weeks later...

SONY RX100 orginal or RX100mark III if you wand 24mm and wien finder

But if you are muule then take DSLR body and lens with you as many own

I high a lot last summer i was hiking in Samariá Gorge Greek newer missed my big "better" camera 

Sony RX100 picture of Samariá Gorge

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90455129@N06/15147806349/in/photostream/

Sorry i'm late, was on vacation. 

Very nice picture, this is more like it. I don't necessarily need interchangeable lens. It WOULD be cool, but I highly doubt my budget will permit it.