How much better is WD black than blue?

Meawa

How much better is WD black than blue? thanks!

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Not really much of a difference. Get whatevers cheaper.

IMO I'd go Seagate barracuda over WD

Life.exe is missing

The Black edition is for high performance like gaming video editing etc.  Blue is kinda like it but for overall performance and green is mostly used for just storage.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Much Longer warranty, more reliable, better built, better controller for data handling.

All that adds up to a bit faster but much much better built drive.

Also people saying the WD black is louder are looking at the old version the new version from 2013 (FZEX) is like 1 or 2 db quieter than the blue so they are both pretty much the same volume level.

How much better is WD black than blue? thanks!

Only marginally from my experience. The only time I ever get WD Blacks is when they are the price of Blues(or when I'm not choosing Seagate :3).

Me and my friend ran some benchmark, he has blue I have black (both 500GB). On some test he got something like 130 MB/s and I got around 160 MB/s.

Not that much better. I prefer Barracudas because they are the middle between Blues and Blacks. Not as loud as Blacks, but better performing than Blues

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Not really much of a difference. Get whatevers cheaper.

IMO I'd go Seagate barracuda over WD

seagate has a higher failure rate than WD

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

Is that an actual statistic?

I've used Seagate almost exclusively since I've used computers. All of them worked perfectly.

Meanwhile the one WD drive I bought died within a month (then again, it was a Black2, but the point still stands)

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

Is that an actual statistic?

I've used Seagate almost exclusively since I've used computers. All of them worked perfectly.

Meanwhile the one WD drive I bought died within a month (then again, it was a Black2, but the point still stands)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

Why the hell is everyone not using hitachi drives? Also, good to know. Maybe I should switch.. those numbers are scary.

The Black edition is for high performance like gaming video editing etc.  Blue is kinda like it but for overall performance and green is mostly used for just storage.

I doubt it makes a difference in games versus Blue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have gamed using the Blue and have never felt restricted by it any way. I was a little stuck with my budget when initially building my rig, so I opted for the Blue 1TB over the Black and never felt like it was an unwise decision. In fact, I wish WD offered 2 and 3TB Blues. They're the best compromise of price and performance, in my opinion, without venturing into the world of Seagate, a place that I am somewhat apprehensive with when their failure rate is considerably higher than WD and others.

Why the hell is everyone not using hitachi drives? Also, good to know. Maybe I should switch.. those numbers are scary.

Hitachi or HGST drives are almost entirely enterprise grade drives and as such are typically more expensive (very roughly anywhere between 30%-100% more expensive than similarly sized WD Reds depending on exact model). 

i know man i got a Hitachi 3 tb it was tempted to get a barracuda but the horrible warranty and failure rate is not worth it and WD black 3tb is insanely expensive 

I wouldn't go blue their just cheap emerging market and entry level drives. I'd take a green or a black over one any day. Also I prefer drives with 1TB per platter and WD advertises none of those drives to have that.

Is that they one where nothing was consistent at all and a number of drives were pulled from external enclosures to save cost? If so it's been talked about before and invalidated.

Because Hitachi doesn't make HDDs anymore. Western Digital got their 2.5 in production and Toshiba got their 3.5in. Toshiba has a nice line of all 1TB per platter drives from 1-3TB. It's a model that Hitachi had out over two years before seagate was even offering the tech.

I think seagate's SV35 is one of the best options when it comes to price to performance, as well as warranty.

I however jump on a WD Black, SE, or RE if I knew they had 1TB+ platters. Preferably in a single platter drive.

Does anyone know what's the best drive for a server build?

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

Blackblaze's data is not accurate at all, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Their methodology is extremely flawed and they have not given enough information to be able to make an informed conclusion.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Does anyone know what's the best drive for a server build?

WD RE, though the might have one above that now.

Blackblaze's data is not accurate at all, and should be taken with a grain of salt. Their methodology is extremely flawed and they have not given enough information to be able to make an informed conclusion.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html

so it was the one I was thinking of then...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Was it? I wonder which is true..

I however jump on a WD Black, SE, or RE if I knew they had 1TB+ platters. Preferably in a single platter drive.

Here you go; http://rml527.blogspot.be/

From the black line only the new WD1003FZEX/WD5003AZEX have 1TB platters.