Which monitor for gaming ? Size? Resolution?

Biology

So I'm having a hard time deciding which monitor I should go for. I currently don't have a rig yet because I'm torn whether to buy a prebuilt or build my own, in which I have no idea where or how.

I will play LOL, bf4, Titan fall, guild wars, assassin creed

But which monitor is best for gaming?

Size ? 24 , 27 or 28?

Resolution ?

My budget is under $400. Any suggestions?

Personally I don't like to go beyond 24", it becomes more difficult to keep track of the entire screen at once and you start missing things.  Depends on how far away you sit from the monitor though.  The Dell U2414H is a great 24" 1080p monitor, pretty much best-in-class.

We need to know that your card can support a certain monitor, I mean you're not gonna have a good gaming experience on a 1440p monitor with a hd 5450

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

27 if your eyes are at least 2 and a half feet from the monitor otherwise 24 is what you want. Pixel junkies hate monitors above 24 for 1080p. I could never do less then 27 inches again.

There is not a "Best" in size most people use 20 - 25".

Get an IPS display, the colors are much better just make sure you choose one with <8ms response time.

Resolution: Go 1080p. 4k and 1440p are still to expencive imo.

I have this one: (i bought it for €160)

http://www.amazon.com/Value-i2369Vm-LED-Monitor-58-4cm-23/dp/B00BDBWE0Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416936908&sr=8-3&keywords=aoc+i2369

Edited by sterreprop

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

We need to know that your card can support a certain monitor, I mean you're not gonna have a good gaming experience on a 1440p monitor with a hd 5450

He said in the post he hasn't built a rig yet.  It also doesn't really matter, it's not like a monitor is paired with a rig for life.  Monitors can last basically until they actually die, usually they live through multiple rigs and upgrades.

1080p:

144Hz 1ms TN - VG248QE hands down

60Hz 5ms IPS - VN248H-P

1440p:

144Hz 1ms TN - Only one choice: The ROG Swift and that's too expensive

60Hz 5ms TN - PB278Q

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

1080p:

144Hz 1ms TN - VG248QE hands down

60Hz 5ms IPS - VN248H-P

1440p:

144Hz 1ms TN - Only one choice: The ROG Swift and that's too expensive

60Hz 5ms TN - PB278Q

Vg248QE  you're right 

rog swift you're right

anything else you're wrong . The pb278q has pwm dimming which is bad for your eyes . Bl2710pt is my choice , tried them both .

Also for 24inch 1080p 

Glossy : Dell S2415H

Matte : Dell P2414H or Dell U2414H or Samsung S24D390HL

What do you guys think about the asus mx279h and asus vn289q?

Are these any good for gaming ?

Also matte or glossy finish?

Glossy if you got no problem with lighting in your room , colors look more vibrant ( like looking out a window )

Matte stops reflection on your screen from light coming from outside or other light sources but tend to be more washed out .

There are also middle grounds in between these two . Semi-glossy or light matte ( which are the ones you should go for if you have light problems , but i do prefer glossy )

Also look at the link i posted , it's enlightening and very informative .

What do you guys think about the asus mx279h and asus vn289q?

Are these any good for gaming ?

They're fine, although kind of pricey for what they are.

Also matte or glossy finish?

Really depends on the usage environment and personal preference.  I prefer matte.  A lot of newer matte monitors have more like a semi-gloss coating which gets rid of the duller, grainy look that came with heavier matte coatings in the past.

I really really appreciate he help guys! But I have to get a matte finished monitor since my room has a lot of light source and my computer table is almost next to the window.

I think I will go for the asus mx279h. It only has 60hz but it's ips. Is this a good decision for 250 dollars?

I really really appreciate he help guys! But I have to get a matte finished monitor since my room has a lot of light source and my computer table is almost next to the window.

I think I will go for the asus mx279h. It only has 60hz but it's ips. Is this a good decision for 250 dollars?

I think the Dell U2414H would be a better option in that price range.  You still get a high-grade matte IPS panel with a nice thin bezel and pretty much everything else the ASUS offers (flicker free backlight, etc.) except speakers, but with more diverse inputs, better ergonomics/stand adjustment and a more durable stand in general, a USB 3.0 hub, and much better customer service if that becomes necessary than with ASUS.