Hey guys! What are your thoughts on optical switches for gaming keyboards like the Bloody B640 by A4Tech?

Obviously, there is no tactile feel unless they implement some sort of mechanical bump which is plausible.

Optical Switch Actuation:

B640_1.gif

~meOw! Σ:3

I think it will bring much longer life cycle for keyboard.

Sensitive electronics in a keyboard. Wonder how long it would last as some pound the crap out of their keyboards.

And that is a really childish and lame product line name from A4Tech

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Seems cool. Would need to try it out myself to make a proper assessment. The whole optical thing might introduce some new problems, though.

This caught my eye when I saw it on Massdrop, seems like a really good idea IMO. The only thing I would have though it would have against it is the cost but they seem to be hitting a similar price point to mechanical switches, that and if you like tactile feedback but I'm not a fan anyway, blues are too noisy and browns feel kinda janky to me. The accuracy and lifespan on something like this should be really good and the 1.2mm actuation point will make them very quick switches, possibly too quick? i.e. as the springs settle in resting you fingers on the keys might be enough force to actuate them? IDK that's something only time can tell.

This could very well make it onto my Christmas list, gunna have to have a look around the internet for more user experiences...

I think it will bring much longer life cycle for keyboard.

the first thing I thought was more things to fail in a keyboard great. If backlights seem to die fast I could only assume so will this.

Although I think it is interesting

I believe this will have a short life and be unreliable.  But I also believe that it will be responsive and silent, which is all I look for in a keyboard so i like it.

Kind of cool.  Would probably feel like MX Red switches.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Reliability would be an issue for a first generation product for something like this. Should it get to the point where there's a flawless model - I'm not sure there are many real benefits over mech boards. Slightly better product life but I don't think that aspect is what people complain about when it comes to mech boards. Complaints are usually price and for those that don't moan ignorantly about that - there's the "friction" some say they feel, especially when compared to Topre.

Point is - there are better things to focus on when trying to improve mech boards.

the first thing I thought was more things to fail in a keyboard great. If backlights seem to die fast I could only assume so will this.

Although I think it is interesting

I had no experience with backlight keyboards but I don't know why should they die fast? Diodes have really long life cycle.

I had no experience with backlight keyboards but I don't know why should they die fast? Diodes have really long life cycle.

my guess would be buying extremely cheap badly manufactured parts lol others say static electricity or other reasons that make little sense to me

Seems a bit unnecessary.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Another a4tech bullshit imo ;)

I disagree. A4Tech X7 X-710BH was an amazing FPS mouse especially for Counter-Strike. The location of the analog lift-off button made it very accurate. Enthusiasts would even compare it to Zowie mice since it also uses the Avago ADNS-3060 optical sensor.

Too bad it's discontinued -- or replaced by Bloody. :(

~meOw! Σ:3

Nah. My grandma use this mouse (I've used it when I go to visit her and playing CS with my friends), but It's too small for my hands and it's build quality is low. I don't like it, but it was really cheap mouse so... Still working (over 4 years I think) and in use, but just for gaming I don't like it.

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool