Definitive answer for D.A. Inquisition

As a MASSIVE Dragon Age fan, I am dying to play the new game, however the recent news about the denuvo DRM supposedly "killing SSD's" gives me a bit of pause.

So, if I were to download it. Should I install it to my HDD, or would I be ok to put it on my SSD? My SSD is a Samsung 840 pro 128gig. It's currently got 15 gigs of space open (I can delete some things) and according to the Samsung SSD Magician it's had 2.95 TB written to it (I've uninstalled and reinstalled quite a few games), but according to the software its "health" is still considered "good".

So what do? install to a WD black 7200rpm 3.5in HDD, or just run it on my SSD? Would it even hurt my HDD or have performance degradation of some kind? I honestly just don't know enough about software or hardware to know. I would like an honest, definitive answer for this because I do not own a console and I am not about to buy one to play it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If your OS is on the SSD. Then I would put it on the HDD. Without the OS bogging the HDD down, it will fly. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

If your OS is on the SSD. Then I would put it on the HDD. Without the OS bogging the HDD down, it will fly. 

My OS is on the SSD (of course) I forgot to mention that.

I wouldn't put it on my ssd, I think that it's better to be safe and have longer load times than to realize later you have tortured your ssd.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

This is just a bunch of shitty rumors.

Evidence? I asked for definitive answers, not vague statements. I am very broke, and spending $70 on a game that could kill a piece of $120 hardware is not a thing you take lightly

Evidence? I asked for definitive answers, not vague statements. I am very broke, and spending $70 on a game that could kill a piece of $120 hardware is not a thing you take lightly

You can google it and see the people replying to forums threads just saying it's  bogus. Even TB said it was a rumor. But if you feel the need just install it on your HDD

You can google it and see the people replying to forums threads just saying it's  bogus. Even TB said it was a rumor. But if you feel the need just install it on your HDD

Well, I have a lot of games installed to that so it's not a problem. I'm just wondering if it would hurt the HDD at all. Not sure if they have an equivalent lifespan measurement when it comes to writes.

the source for this rumors is one guy from a Russian forum. I have the Dragon age inquisition deluxe edition installed on my os ssd and i monitored my ssd with crystal disk during 2h of gaming without a single change on the ssd.

I will monitor it again today and take Screenshots.

the source for the rumors said that 40min of gaming DAI equals in 30gb of write/delete. that's the degeneration he speaks of because ssd degenerate with every write->delete and smaller ssd even faster, i think.

but i also remember that Windows doesn't allow changes in the eye as long as the software runs. so how does the drm do that at all? no one knows but talks.

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

sounds like BS. TRIM makes sure than data is written evenly across the drive before a single block is written to again. if a game is able to override TRIM, then Bioware would be panicking to fix the problem, or "the Virus" as I would personally call it. whoever started this rumour is probably an idiot who thinks they know something.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So, i did 60min of DA:I and did make befor and after screenshots. Ignore the typo~

Before:

vdax7gq3.png

After:

hv3iif37.png

Next to each other:

dg9t7qx6.png

There was a total writte of 400MB if i calculatet correctly. That's 44,6GB less than the rumor spreader called out! So no danger at all just BS.

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

I won't be worried putting the game at the SSD if we take a look at this article. 1 petabyte of writes and still going. :D

http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte/3

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler