Painting ram

Loafan

Was thinking about painting my g.skills ripjaw ram from red to blue. What would I need, how would I take the heat spreader off, ext?

Was thinking about painting my g.skills ripjaw ram from red to blue. What would I need, how would I take the heat spreader off, ext?

You could put a shoutout to someone/anyone with the Blue Ripjaws (that I also have), to swap stickers/heat spreaders.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If you want to remove the heat spreader you will need to heat up the modules using a hair dryer or a heat gun on very low to soften/loosen the thermal adhesive holding on the heat spreader.

Alternatively you could do some masking and taping and try to paint them without removing them but it will be easier to paint with them off.

• 4 weeks later...

I have painted heatsinks and ram before, of course you will lose some ability of the heatsink but if you dont put a huge coat of paint on it and are not trying to overclock them to the hilt it will be fine.

[MAINFrame Customs Shop] | [Sleeving Guide Videos] | [Sleeving FAQ]
[Project Log]:[ Katharos ]: April MotM Winner | [Project Log]:[ Xýlo Kai Chalkó ]: Working | [Project Log]:[ Aspros ]: Done - 4th Place PDX Lan |
[Reason I Live]

I painted the heatsinks of my RAM recently and I didn't bother taking them off. I used Humbrol Enamel paint which is a kind of paint you would use to paint models and things like that. I had to apply numerous thin coats to eventually get the colour I wanted but it has come out well and the temperatures are fine. The only issue was that it takes a lot more time than spray painting but it does have the advantage of not having to take the heatsinks off.

My rig: i5 2500k, MSI Z77A G45, Gainward GTX 980 Phantom, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, OCZ ZT series 750W PSU, 1TB HDD, 800D, fully water cooled. I am currently working on modding my HAF 912+ to fit a custom loop, here is the build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165963-project-viridis-water-cooled-haf-912/