Are Razer Orange Switches good? 2013 vs 2014 Blackwidow Stealth

Go to solution Solved by Amosarthus,

Just bought the Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 with the blues. I'd rather use the blues than go Kaihl.

Hey guys,

So I want to try out mechanical keyboards and see what the big fuss is about. I have tried out a few switches and I think the ones I like best are the Cherry MX Blacks and the Browns (Greens I might like since I like bottoming out my keys but they're practically nonexistent in my country). But the thing is, I like green backlighting. Aaaand..... I absolutely HATE the colour red. I like Razer's Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth as its green is soooo perfect, but unfortunately it uses Kailh "Made in China" Orange Switches. Though they are similar to Browns, I fear for the quality of the switches. And I don't really want RGB as it'll cost quite a lot more....

So, I have come to you guys for help. Are the Razer Switches cheap Chinese crap which will break on me in a year? Is it safe to get the Blackwidow? Or should I get another keyboard, and if so, what is that keyboard? Also, anyone with experience with the 2013 Blackwidow Stealth? Is it good?

Also guys, do remember, only Blacks or Browns. No Reds. AND DEFINITELY NO BLUES. I hate the "recoil". I don't mind the clickiness, but that feedback is too strong for my taste.

Thanks!

razer switches are cherry mx knockoffs, go with cherry it's worth it.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Wow. That was fast. So... Browns it is, but anyone actually used them? Debunk the stereotypical "Chinese stuff sucks" myth, maybe?

Wow. That was fast. So... Browns it is, but anyone actually used them? Debunk the stereotypical "Chinese stuff sucks" myth, maybe?

They feel very similar in feel, but the real killer is the chinese quality control, which seems bad at times. They are more of a copy of the Cherrys, not a knockoff as Cherry lost their patent for the switches. And they are more expensive than real Cherrys so go with Cherrys.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

They are a "ripoff" of MX Browns. So they are browns with a bigger failure rate. Go with Cherrys.

I guess that is just speculation or generic Razer-hate or do you have any kind of proof (i.e. data) on that?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

They are modified Kailh Browns, the distance between actuation and reset point is reduced by 3mm. You will not notice the difference, Razer claims that it's better for gaming or some shit

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

They feel very similar in feel, but the real killer is the chinese quality control, which seems bad at times. They are more of a copy of the Cherrys, not a knockoff as Cherry lost their patent for the switches. And they are more expensive than real Cherrys so go with Cherrys.

They switches aren't more expensive, but Razer doesn't put a discount on boards because of that.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I've tried Razer switches before, and amazingly enough they feel really similar to Cherry switches. One of the biggest issues people have with Kailh switches is their lack of consistency. An entire keyboard with the Kailh switches could potentially all feel different, whereas for Cherry there is more consistency in the feel of the switches throughout the whole board.

I personally do not recommend Razer keyboards, and it isn't only because of their Razer switches. But if you feel that it is the only option you have and the only one you like, then by all means go for it. If you like the feel of the orange switches (I'm assuming you've tested them out already) and that you'll be happy with your purchase, I'd say buy it :D 

Another thing, it seems Razer is distributed in a lot of countries worldwide, and their products are listed within the options of many mechanical keyboard buyers. I'm guessing with that you will be able to contact Razer customer service easier compared to other mechanical keyboard companies? That is if something does go wrong with a BWU :P Hopefully it doesn't!

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Razer switches SUCK!

I own an mx brown keyboard and my friend owns a new razer switch keyboard.

His keyboards' switches feel inconsistent, sticky, seem to vary their actuation force and are overall a very bad experience.

I highly recommend an MX Brown keyboard if you aren't into blues.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Yeah, a lot of what you guys are saying is really what I've been fearing. I mean, since the Kailh Switches are cheaper, why does't Razer knock off some of the price? And the fact that it is Chinese-made is kinda worrying. I'm Chinese myself, but I still fear products Made in China. And I'm not buying the Razer Orange Switches because "Razer claims its better for gaming" but because they supposedly feel the same as browns. What I am worried about is quality and like exousia7 says, consistency. Razer is easy for me to buy because it is sold almost everywhere here and RMA is no problem. But I really wish they had more variety with their mechanical keyboards and also wish that they'd stop messing around with China-stuff and PLEASE USE CHERRY! It's hard to find any 2013 Blackwidows here so I asked if the 2014 Editions are worth it. And has anyone else used the Razer Switches? Do you know of friends who have broken Razer Switches or such? These things help a lot, thanks.

Yeah, a lot of what you guys are saying is really what I've been fearing. I mean, since the Kailh Switches are cheaper, why does't Razer knock off some of the price? And the fact that it is Chinese-made is kinda worrying. I'm Chinese myself, but I still fear products Made in China. And I'm not buying the Razer Orange Switches because "Razer claims its better for gaming" but because they supposedly feel the same as browns. What I am worried about is quality and like exousia7 says, consistency. Razer is easy for me to buy because it is sold almost everywhere here and RMA is no problem. But I really wish they had more variety with their mechanical keyboards and also wish that they'd stop messing around with China-stuff and PLEASE USE CHERRY! It's hard to find any 2013 Blackwidows here so I asked if the 2014 Editions are worth it. And has anyone else used the Razer Switches? Do you know of friends who have broken Razer Switches or such? These things help a lot, thanks.

A big problem with Cherry switches is their supply. Cherry switches are actually always in high demand but there's always a shortage, hence manufacturers have to either wait or, in Razer's case, make their own. And out of all the manufacturers they find Kailh to help make their Razer switches xD But honestly out of a lot of the Cherry MX knock-off switches, Kailh is actually considered the better of them all....hehe

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

They switches aren't more expensive, but Razer doesn't put a discount on boards because of that.

I meant in the sense of the Razer "premium"

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

I guess that is just speculation or generic Razer-hate or do you have any kind of proof (i.e. data) on that?

You see people with broken Razer keyboards more often than Cherry switches. At least I do. I have nothing really against Razer, but the QC seems to have some problems.

You see people with broken Razer keyboards more often than Cherry switches. At least I do. I have nothing really against Razer, but the QC seems to have some problems.

Most of those broken BlackWidows probably are of the Cherry-MX-flavor ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

?? Huh?

A lot of people have got the new swwitches broken on arrival, so I can not recommend them. And the price is not right imo.

they are a knockoff because the company was making them long before cherry lost the patent

But they are sticky. Oh gosh darn it. Looks like I will have to get used to red backlights. BlackWidow 2013 is gone from the market and so are my hopes of getting a MX Brown with Green Backlight. Almost all the customer reviews on the Razer Switches are about sticking keys and inconsistency.

I can't say anything about build quality since I haven't used the Razer switches for an extended period of time. All can I say that is that Razer Orange switches do feel slightly different to Cherry MX Brown, the tactile point is higher and the tactile bump, at least in my experience not as pronounced instead feeling a noticeably softer. I'm not sure if it's just the ones I've tried but they do feel slightly different, personally I prefer the feel of traditional Cherry Browns over the new Razer Orange switches but I do know someone that does prefer the feel of the Razer ones.

Although if you want a higher tactile point with a silent tactile actuation point I would suggest you to take a look at the new Logitech Omron G910. 

Although if you want a higher tactile point with a silent tactile actuation point I would suggest you to take a look at the new Logitech Omron G910. 

EDITED:

To me those switches felt worse than Razers switches when I tried them. Regardless of manufacturer, I am interested in seeing non-Cherry offerings (Yes, even Razers made by Kailh switches), but those Omron G-Roamers didn't do it for me.

Plus, there's a tonne of other things I didn't like about that keyboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I can't say anything about build quality since I haven't used the Razer switches for an extended period of time. All can I say that is that Razer Orange switches do feel slightly different to Cherry MX Brown, the tactile point is higher and the tactile bump, at least in my experience not as pronounced instead feeling a noticeably softer. I'm not sure if it's just the ones I've tried but they do feel slightly different, personally I prefer the feel of traditional Cherry Browns over the new Razer Orange switches but I do know someone that does prefer the feel of the Razer ones.

Those things aren't available yet where I am, and might not be.