German cloud provider will heat your house if you let them install a server

purplesmurf

http://www.geek.com/news/german-cloud-provider-will-heat-your-house-if-you-let-them-install-a-server-1609178/

"As for what counts as “expensive?” Cloud & Heat charges €12,000 up front for installation of the fireproof server cabinet. They cover all the other costs for a minimum of 15 years — broadband, electricity, maintenance. That works out to about €66 a month, which may not make it a sound investment for some… but it’s a pretty geeky way to heat your house."

Would you do this if the even though the cost is subsidized? I personally would if I had the cash upfront and was able to use a tray or two in the rack.

I think they meant that they install the server in your house, and your house will ALWAYS be heated up (due to the server). Don't think its controlled. Not sure about the temperatures in Germany, but if it gets hot outside, It's boiling inside.

Depends. How fast is the broadband and how much of it can you use? It really doesn't seem like a bad deal, the cost of those bills would be much higher than 66 euros a month.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think they meant that they install the server in your house, and your house will ALWAYS be heated up (due to the server). Don't think its controlled. Not sure about the temperatures in Germany, but if it gets hot outside, It's boiling inside.

Germany is huge. They can have sun on one side and snow on the orther.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

remove the space at the end of the URL it breaks it. 

two deal breakers right there: "asks for a water tank that holds between 125 and 2,000 liters." and "an Internet connection of at least 50Mb/s."

Also wouldn't having a server affect your internet speeds, or will they provide you with to internet plans? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I am not sure if I understood this correctly. You pay them 12000€ and they build a server in your house that will supply the heating for the house? For essentially 15 years as after that it is up to you to maintain the server?

I don't see this being very good, the server would be using the customers bandwidth 24/7...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

remove the space at the end of the URL it breaks it. 

two deal breakers right there: "asks for a water tank that holds between 125 and 2,000 liters." and "an Internet connection of at least 50Mb/s."

fixed it thanks for pointing that out

Doesnt seem like a great deal, will also make selling your property much more difficult as the person moving in might not want a server in the house

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

How does this benefit the house owner? They have to pay extra for cooling in the hot days.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

How does this benefit the house owner? They have to pay extra for cooling in the hot days.

you've never been in Baden-Württemberg area, it almost never went over 30 degrees at the hottest part of the year when I was an exchange student. In the winter it's always below freezing or almost freezing during spring and fall.

Germany is huge. They can have sun on one side and snow on the orther.

Lol what? As a German Australian, Germany is tiny the entire country is the roughly size of the smallest mainland state here and much smaller then most american states.

It's also cold as hell(comparably) so those mentioning having to cool it on hot days lol it doesn't have what I'd call a hot day after living in Australia where it passes 50c inside my house on our hot summer days.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Lol what? As a German Australian, Germany is tiny the entire country is the size of the smallest state here and much much smaller then any american states.

It's also cold as hell so those mentioning having to cool it on hot days lol it doesn't have what I'd call a hot day after living in Australia where it passes 50c inside my house on our hot summer days.

Not that tiny. Of course it's not as big as australia, but the weather changes quite a bit. When you go from one side to another.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

We've seen the thermometer in the garden register 47°C in the shade in south-west Germany. We've also had winters where it didn't get warmer than -20°C for three weeks.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I didn't lie to you I never once mentioned weather other to say it's cold and guess what It's freaking cold even in summer it doesn't get many 48c+ day like we do here in Australia and it's weather doesn't differ anymore then the weather in small states it's not some magical land where one side of your house is 40c and the other is 10c.

It goes above 40°C at least every other summer here.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Link doesn't work for me - this one does however:

http://www.geek.com/news/german-cloud-provider-will-heat-your-house-if-you-let-them-install-a-server-1609178/

I'd do it. I like the idea of it.

Though it really doesn't make sense to charge someone to have a server in your house if they're not able to use that anyway. It would hardly be worth it. But still pretty cool

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.