Looking to get into surround gaming

NakedChicken

I've been thinking about making the jump to surround gaming for a while and I'm finally ready to make the transition. My question is what kind of gpu power will I need? I've already got one Gtx 680 2 gb. I've been looking around at the new Maxwell cards and I'm considering going with 2 Gigabyte G1 Gtx 970s in sli, would this be enough? I'm not really interested in any AMD cards at the moment because I already have a Sheild. I mainly play Battlefield 4, Arma 3, and DayZ, plus some other single player games like Far Cry. 

Thanks!

i5 3570k @ 4.9 ghz/1.27 volts, Asus P8Z77-V LK8 Gb Corsair 1600mhzGigabyte Windforce R9 290 1140/1625, Silverstone RV02, Kingston V300 120 gb, 1 TB WD Blue HDD,Seagate barracuda, Evga Supernova 750 G2Hyper 212 EvoWindows 8.1, K70 Red LED Blue switch, Razer Deathadder 2012, Sennehiser HD 598

2x 970s will be perfect for your gaming needs, as long as you are doing 1080p monitors and are alright with bumping the quality down a little.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Alright, so for reference, I'm running surround on 3x 1080p monitors. I tried for a little while using a single gtx 780 and was getting about 45-60 fps in most game maxed out. I recently upgraded to SLId 780's and its wonderful 60+ fps in every game. With an exception of bf4 I can play everything on ultra. BF4 I just haven't looked into why its being dumb. The 970s will have the Vram that you'll need for surround. Depending, the 970 is roughly the same performance as the 780. So, I think that SLId 970's would be just fine.

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 13 - i5 8gb ram 128gb SSD  |  Tablet: Surface Pro 1 - i5 4gb ram 128gb SSD  |  Phone: iPhone 5s 32gb
Intel Xeon 1230v2  |  SLI EVGA GTX 780 Super Clocked  |  AsRock Extreme 4 Z77  |  250 gb Samsung Evo  |  EVGA SuperNova 850

I saw Jayz2cents' video, and he said that shooters are not very good in surround gaming, as the PC renders 2 monitors' worth of gameplay and stretches it out to 3, so you have to retrain your hand-eye coordination. Haven't tried it out myself, but thought I should share it with you

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I saw Jayz2cents' video, and he said that shooters are not very good in surround gaming, as the PC renders 2 monitors' worth of gameplay and stretches it out to 3, so you have to retrain your hand-eye coordination. Haven't tried it out myself, but thought I should share it with you

I agree and disagree with that statement. The way the image is rendered in FPS games makes the outer two monitors more or less peripheral. Meaning that they're not there to look at directly, but for a greater immersion so that you can see someone out of the corner of your eye and then turn to look at them ( and hopefully shoot them or whatever). Your hand eye coordination will feel a bit off at first, but you just have to retrain how far you need to move your mouse to get the extra degrees of view you get from the extra monitors. While your statement that it's two monitors worth of gameplay and stretches could have been worded better, its basically true. It does look like it stretches an image designed for a 2 wide monitor config and display it on a 3 monitor... however, your center monitor will look EXACTLY the same whether or not you have surround enabled or disabled.

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 13 - i5 8gb ram 128gb SSD  |  Tablet: Surface Pro 1 - i5 4gb ram 128gb SSD  |  Phone: iPhone 5s 32gb
Intel Xeon 1230v2  |  SLI EVGA GTX 780 Super Clocked  |  AsRock Extreme 4 Z77  |  250 gb Samsung Evo  |  EVGA SuperNova 850

I think that 2 970's would be plenty, especially if you get G1 cards and OC them.

Since it's been brought up; Jay's video on surround:

And SLI 980's in surround (not the same, but similar. Thought you might get something out of it):

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

go for it, 970's should be sweet. It will be a good change of pace and experience