New keyboard wanted!

Hello,

I am currently looking for a new keyboard because the one on my laptop isn't functioning that well anymore. I thought I would get a mechanical one. I have been looking at a few that I will list here. Important for me is that the keyboard only uses Cherry MX switches (I read up on them and I think the brown ones suite me best) that are backlight. I don't really care about a USB hub or audio ports because I probably won't use them anyway. The keyboard should be built well and a wrist rest would also be nice. These are the keyboards I have looked at so far:

• CM Storm QickFire Rapid (it is tenkeyless and I have only used full sized keyboards up to now and laptop keyboards so I don't know if this is good or not. I don't use the numpad that often)
  • Tt eSPORTS Poseidon Z Illuminated (I heared that this keyboard doesn't use Cherry switches but I heared that it is quite good)
  • CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate
  • Func KB 460 (Seems very well priced)
  • QPad MK-50 (This isn't backlight but is still interesting; the MK-70 is going to launch soon and it will be backlight)
  • Zowie Celeritas
  • CM Storm Trigger Z
  • Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (I don't see a version with brown switches but I read that it is quite good)

The Ducky keyboards are to expensive for me and so is the Corsair Vengeance K70. Maybe some of you can recommend one of them to me and if yes please tell me why. I don't really wan't to spend more than 100€ but I am willing to pay a bit more if the keyboard has a wrist rest.

This is my first thread on this forum and I hope I get answeres soon :)

KnorkerGünther

cooler-master quikfire tk tenkeyless with the numpad and backlit

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

corsair k65 or get a filco or das keyboard

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor | Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD 82.9 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Mobo: Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory | GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card | Storage: 1x Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + 2x Sabrent Rocket 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200P 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | Case: Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB ATX Full Tower Case | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch-2 | Mouse: Logitech G903

Hello,

I am currently looking for a new keyboard because the one on my laptop isn't functioning that well anymore. I thought I would get a mechanical one. I have been looking at a few that I will list here. Important for me is that the keyboard only uses Cherry MX switches (I read up on them and I think the brown ones suite me best) that are backlight. I don't really care about a USB hub or audio ports because I probably won't use them anyway. The keyboard should be built well and a wrist rest would also be nice. These are the keyboards I have looked at so far:

• CM Storm QickFire Rapid (it is tenkeyless and I have only used full sized keyboards up to now and laptop keyboards so I don't know if this is good or not. I don't use the numpad that often)
  • Tt eSPORTS Poseidon Z Illuminated (I heared that this keyboard doesn't use Cherry switches but I heared that it is quite good)
  • QPad MK-50 (This isn't backlight but is still interesting; the MK-70 is going to launch soon and it will be backlight)
  • Zowie Celeritas
  • CM Storm Trigger Z
  • Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (I don't see a version with brown switches but I read that it is quite good)

The Ducky keyboards are to expensive for me and so is the Corsair Vengeance K70. Maybe some of you can recommend one of them to me and if yes please tell me why. I don't really wan't to spend more than 100€ but I am willing to pay a bit more if the keyboard has a wrist rest.

KnorkerGünther

Best advice I can give is to try out the keys before you buy a keyboard. You may think that the browns are best for you by reading up on them but you really don't know until you try them yourself :) 

Also if you want cherry switches, forget about the razer as they don't use cherry anymore, they use their own copy brand.  Out of that list I would go for the quickfire ultimate.

welcome to the forum and don't forget to click the "quote" button when replying to people as it gives them a notification

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Filco and Das are probably too expensive for him + I don't think they do backlit keyboards

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Filco and Das are probably too expensive for him + I don't think they do backlit keyboards

This is correct and I forgot to mention that. I already looked at keyboards from Filco and Das. I will check out the K65.

Thank you very much for he answeres already!

You could get the Coolermaster Quickfire XT if you want a numpad, it goes for somewhere around 80 Euros ish and you can get it with MX browns.

R7 2700x | ASUS Strix X470-f | 4x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Zotac RTX 2080ti | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
2x Xeon X5650 | Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F | 6x4 Micron DDR3 ECC | 4x4TB HDD

Just get what looks good to you. Cherry mx switches are the same regardless of board. The differences are: the design of the board; any additional features (backlighting); keycaps and o-ring usage; and that's about it.

Also the Razer board you mention uses their own switch which is a copy/variation of cherry's blue switch (ie, it has a tactile bump around the actuation point as well as a audible click) which feels very different to browns.

I'd recommend seeing if you can play around with some boards/switches at a friend's or a store in order to get a feel of them though extended usage is ideal so if you can get it from a place with a good return policy (like Amazon does here in the UK) you could buy a couple, play around and then return the one you don't like.

Also when it comes to the board I'd say decide your budget and see what's available around your budget and then decide if the ones above your budget are worth going out of your budget to buy.

Good luck

Hello,

• Zowie Celeritas
  • CM Storm Trigger Z

KnorkerGünther

I'd say go for the cm storm quickfire (TK, Ultimate... it's up to you which one you want) and get an aftermarket wrist rest. Stay away from razer (never liked their products, only had problems with them) and the QPAD MK-70 will have red switches only so no browns.

the CM storm keyboards are the best when it comes price/quality wise. 

I've just purchased the (quite rare in the UK) Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue, Orange LED and I absolutely love it!

The tactile feel of the blue switches is wonderful - something I was worried about disliking having come from a Corsair K90 (MX Red).

The build quality of the board is outstanding - this thing weighs 1.4kg and is certainly not sliding anywhere!

Highly recommend.