YouTube High Res Playback Issue

Go to solution Solved by Thevacuumcleaner,

try turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome

Settings>Adanced>System> Hardwareacceleration (uncheck it) 

See if this helps, I personnaly can play 4K vids now (wthout the video crashing) but I do still drop frames heavily, think it is because of the poor flash support 

Let me know if it helps!

Hi guys, I've been having this issue for a while. I just did a re-install of windows to see if maybe some of the settings were wrong. It works fine until I run Windows Update, so the problem lies somewhere in there. When I try switching to 1440p+ res, YouTube flashes an error and refreshes the page and plays back at 480p, I can select 1440p or higher after that, so it's just an annoyance. The update seems to break the hardware acceleration when playing back at 4k, which stutters after the update as well.

I recently switched from a core i7 920 (3.5Ghz) to an FX-8320 (4.3Ghz), which both definitely should have enough grunt to push those pixels. Thing that stayed the same was the video card (6950 with unlocked shaders).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Probably something wrong due to your browser or YouTube. Shouldn't be a hardware problem.

What browser are you using?

I'm using Chrome, which is weird since YouTube and Chrome are both owned by Google.

Probably something wrong due to your browser or YouTube. Shouldn't be a hardware problem.

I've been looking around for solutions, and most of the people with this issue have been pointing it to flash hardware acceleration. Something in Windows Updates seems to be breaking hw acceleration.

Edit: Actually, looking at it again, when the video loads using HTML5 I can't run anything higher than 1080p without it erroring out and falling back to flash which then is having hardware acceleration issues. Tried it in both Chrome and Firefox now with same results, so it's probably flash.

See if this helps, I personnaly can play 4K vids now (wthout the video crashing) but I do still drop frames heavily, think it is because of the poor flash support 

Let me know if it helps!

I get the same thing happening, Its due to your CPU not having enough power.

Often i Underclock my CPU to 1700-2400MHZ where if i try and watch 1440p+ IT goes back and does random things then goes to 480p. But once i make my CPU run at max Speed 4100Mhz, it works Normal.

Make sure you dont have anything CPU intensive going on when trying to watch 1440p+ since they require alot more CPU proccessing power compared to 1080p

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply guys,

I get the same thing happening, Its due to your CPU not having enough power.

Often i Underclock my CPU to 1700-2400MHZ where if i try and watch 1440p+ IT goes back and does random things then goes to 480p. But once i make my CPU run at max Speed 4100Mhz, it works Normal.

Make sure you dont have anything CPU intensive going on when trying to watch 1440p+ since they require alot more CPU proccessing power compared to 1080p

It does work completely fine on a clean Windows installation, but something craps out and breaks 4k playback. The processor should be fine, it's running at 4.3Ghz.

Let me know if it helps!

Thanks! that did help with the crashing problem, but I'm having jittery issues with 1440p which is completely smooth with hardware acceleration albeit with crashing, idk what to do lol. Doesn't say it's dropping frames but it's very distracting.

Edit: Actually it happens with every other resolution. hmm... I guess I'll see if I can fix that, but your solution seems to hit the mark. 

Edited by ooiman92