Where to hold all my files?

Chubrubs
Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,

I don't know much about NAS, but I will start learning asap. So is this something that I would actually work on the files from (not the programs, just the files), or when working do I officially have to transfer them off of the Nas, work on them, then transfer back to the NAS?

If that is too in depth of a question just let me know, as I need to learn for myself.

you connect to a nas via the local network also you can set up FTP so you can connect to it via the internet

Hello everyone, first time poster.

It is time to upgrade my computer. I am a graphic designer / video editor (not a ton, but some) / web developer, and I have been using an older Macbook for a few years no. Its time to get rid of this thing and upgrade.

I have become accustomed to the Mac ecosystem, and I would like to stay there. My question is about storage more than anything. I am going to be purchasing one of the new Retinal Mac Book Pro's, but one of the problems is the storage capacity of the devices. At first I thought this was going to be a huge issue, but I realize that this will force me to finally make a decision on how I want to handle all my data (and my clients data) in the long term (which I need to do anyway). I am tired (and scared of losing) my current laptop + a little backup disk - need to upgrade.

I honestly have no idea what to do. Should I have some office hard drive set-up that I plug into every time I use my computer, then sync that to dropbox? I mainly work from home, but I would like to be able to grab my files if I absolutely need to (That is why I thought dropbox would be a good decision).

I hope I have explained myself clearly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, as of right now I have just under 1TB of data that I have to keep (cannot get rid of anything).

Thanks,

run a nas server

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Do you have to have a laptop? If not, a desktop can easily be fitted with multiple hard drives, and you can make a "hackintosh" out of it

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Set up a nas and put your data there. Run only the stuff you need at the moment on the laptop.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

if setting up a NAS is too much for OP. Just use two external hard drives and backup to both of them?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

a small two bay NAS hooked up to a router should work for you you can access it like dropbox from anywhere since its connected to your internet line

run a nas server

Set up a nas and put your data there. Run only the stuff you need at the moment on the laptop.

I don't know much about NAS, but I will start learning asap. So is this something that I would actually work on the files from (not the programs, just the files), or when working do I officially have to transfer them off of the Nas, work on them, then transfer back to the NAS?

If that is too in depth of a question just let me know, as I need to learn for myself.

Do you have to have a laptop? If not, a desktop can easily be fitted with multiple hard drives, and you can make a "hackintosh" out of it

I don't have to, but since I am using a mac, whether I go with a desktop or laptop I would still have this issue since expandability is not Apple's top priority.

you connect to a nas via the local network also you can set up FTP so you can connect to it via the internet

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

if setting up a NAS is too much for OP. Just use two external hard drives and backup to both of them?

a small two bay NAS hooked up to a router should work for you you can access it like dropbox from anywhere since its connected to your internet line

I think NAS is my solution. Need to do some research.

Thank you everyone for your help.

A NAS is a great idea, but the costs may drive you away. I would recommend getting an external 2TB HDD for files you may need on the go

317 is watching. 317 is everywhere. 317 is life.

I think NAS is my solution. Need to do some research.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Does your router have a USB port? if so you can get NAS set up easy :D

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Does your router have a USB port? if so you can get NAS set up easy :D

No, but I have been looking for a new router, good to know, thank you!!

You don't 'have' to move them from the NAS to your local computer. Things will work just fine over the network, but I would highly recommend you do while working on them. For most projects you would be working on, your home network would be a big bottleneck unless you have 10GBe through your house which I doubt.