Deleting the annoying Tips.app off of your iOS device

bcredeur97

Tips.app, it came in iOS 8 and although it is great for new iOS users, the truth is that a lot of people have come into contact with iOS before, and already know how to use it, plus once you take a look at this app, you will likely never need it again.

Thanks to pangu8, iOS 8 is now jailbreakable. This makes deleting Tips.app possible.

To do this, you will first need to jailbreak your device. http://pangu.io/ is the current method for iOS 8.0.x - 8.1 (make sure u uncheck the box in the app to not install pangu's extra chinese software)

Step 1: After jailbreaking, install OpenSSH from the Pangu App

Step 2: now you need a Windows/Mac/Linux PC. Make sure your device is connected to the same network your PC is connected to. retrieve your device's IP address from settings > Wi-Fi > hit the little "i" button next to your wifi network.

Step 3: after getting IP address and your computer, on windows get an app called putty from: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html put your devices IP address in the IP address bar, the port is 22, and hit connect! continue to step 4

Linux: simply launch terminal, type: ssh root@192.168.1.2 (replace 192.168.1.2 with your device's ip address)

Mac (OS X): same as linux :D (i think anyways, let me know!)

Step 4: on windows, you will be asked to login, the username is "root" and the password is "alpine" (without quotes)

linux, you will be asked for password, which is "alpine"

Mac, same as Linux!

Step 5: you should now be logged in, you should see idevicename:~ root# , what we want to do first is change the root password, since the default one makes you vulnerable to hackers. So type "passwd" and enter a new password. anything you want. It will not show characters when you are typing them for security.

Step 6: now comes the fun part, Tips.app removal: you are going to want to change the active directory, so type: cd /Applications. This should move you to the /Applications folder.

Step 7: now run the command: rm -rf Tips.app/ this will remove tips.app from your device, but u will notice the icon is still there, this is because iOS needs to reboot when major changes like this are made.

Step 8: type the command: reboot this will reboot your device

Step 9: wait for iDevice to reboot, and when it does: BEHOLD, no tips.app !

Note: backup your device before trying this just to be safe (though as long as you do this correctly this is perfectly safe to do). If anything goes wrong, restore your device with iTunes using DFU mode (hold power + home for 10 seconds, then let go of power and hold home for 30 seconds, or until computer recognizes device DFU [device will have black screen])

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Great guide

(Or

Shove it in a folder on page 2 and forget about it :))

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I don't have an Iphone but if I did I would have found this very useful 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Great guide

(Or

Shove it in a folder on page 2 and forget about it :))

yea but then you have to deal with some stupid folder, I like my clean look which doesn't include some random folder. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Very useful, can you do that to delete other apps? eg: stocks

Yes, you need to use the command: ls (that is an L) once you are in the applications folder. You will see a list of all the apps you can delete. Just be careful because some of these are used in the background all the time and deleting them can cause your device to malfunction. simply replace Tips.app in the: rm -rf Tips.app/ command.

Deleting stocks will cause siri to freak out(i dont know what will happen, likely a crash or it will say something invalid) when asking it about stocks, it will also break the stocks widget in notification center. I am not sure whether it will cause your device to crash or not. so backup befoe u try, if you want to try anyway. takes someone trying it to find out! xD I also am not sure whether its called Stocks.app or MobileStocks.app so be sure to check the file list.

edit: I am also wanting myself to delete Newstand. but i cant find it in /Applications. Newstand is different from normal apps though, it runs in a different way.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Typical iCrap, having to jump through 28,323 hoops in order to do a basic function as remove a fucking application.

Then again, they don't even trust you to have a basic file manager, so it doesn't surprise me.

Typical iCrap, having to jump through 28,323 hoops in order to do a basic function as remove a fucking application.

Then again, they don't even trust you to have a basic file manager, so it doesn't surprise me.

Well the tips app is equivalent to many android phones with un-delteable bloat ware. Yes you can remove it, it is just difficult. But if anything these few commands are simple, and the jailbreak is simple. So I honestly would say it's easier than most android phones to do this on iOS.

Spoiler