First build, please help me

1. Budget & Location

I live in England

My budget is £575

2. Aim

The system is going to be used for gaming (medium), recording videos for YouTube and basic video editing

3. Monitors

I already have monitors and do not require any more.

4. Peripherals

I do not require any peripherals.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading so that I can do gaming and video editing.

Thanks for your help any suggestions are appreciated. One last thing, I do need the pc to be Intel and Nvidia Based. Thanks

Well what you want to upgrade? 0_o

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

I am building a new rig

With 730 for gaming and video editing? Do you plan any SLI etc i nthe future?

Grant us the joy of song and dance and ever watch over us in the lonely places in which we must walk - Pray to Bastet

Nope

Do you have HDD?and do you plan to oc?

I do not have anything apart from monitors and keyboards and mouse. Yes I will be oc in the future

I do not have anything apart from monitors and keyboards and mouse. Yes I will be oc in the future

Kinda hard the 700 euro budget ;_;

YOu want mini / micro or atx?

If your focus had been gaming, I would recommend an intel platform. However because you want a multitasker with video editing, recording, and maybe streaming, and I can't comfortably fit in a decent i5 at this price point without making a significant cut somewhere else, I'm recommending an AMD platform. This build should work just fine for gaming, especially once overclocked which it will do quite readily with the heatsinked VRMs and the 212 Evo cooler. Plus the FX-8320 will multi-task and handle multi-threaded programs like a beast. I can't realistically fit in an SSD at this price point, but all the components here are solid.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (£99.98 @ Novatech)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£23.86 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£48.42 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£67.20 @ More Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.38 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card  (£209.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£58.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£43.32 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £591.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 20:49 BST+0100

Is there any chance that the graphics card could be nvidia

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-NVIDIA-Graphics-Cooling-Express/dp/B00NSEK2G2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414007826&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+970 here i think it is nyour budget area but i am not sure if it bootlenecks with 8320 AMD

Yes, you could pick an NVidia card, but you're sacrificing performance for no good reason. Nvidia vs AMD  is always about the best card for the price range, and saying one brand is always better than the other just isn't true. In your price point in that build, the AMD card performs significantly better than the similarly priced NVidia card.

Basically, you've got to be a fanboy to pick NVidia over AMD at that price point in today's market. If we were talking about another price point or on another day, then the tables could be reversed, but we aren't.

Yes, you could pick an NVidia card, but you're sacrificing performance for no good reason. Nvidia vs AMD  is always about the best card for the price range, and saying one brand is always better than the other just isn't true. In your price point in that build, the AMD card performs significantly better than the similarly priced NVidia card.

Basically, you've got to be a fanboy to pick NVidia over AMD at that price point in today's market. If we were talking about another price point or on another day, then the tables could be reversed, but we aren't.

Look GTX 970 is the latest model and will help him more than the R9 290 + it is very effiecient and the PSU will be able to perform even better

Look GTX 970 is the latest model and will help him more than the R9 290 + it is very effiecient and the PSU will be able to perform even better

The GTX 970 IS a great card and if he hit that price point, I'd definitely recommend it. The problem is it's 25% more expensive than the R9 290 and so isn't in his budget unless he wants to get an even worse CPU. The two cards are not comparable. Considering I already stretched his budget a bit, I don't feel comfortable fitting in the GTX 970. The GTX 770 is the comparable card with around the same price, and the R9 290 soundly beats that.

As far as the PSU "peforming" better, that makes no sense. In a non-server build we only care about sufficient power delivery and ripple prevention, and having a lower load on the PSU helps with efficiency, not things that actually matter in this build. He gains almost nothing from going to 85% to 86% power efficiency (guestimates).

The GTX 970 IS a great card and if he hit that price point, I'd definitely recommend it. The problem is it's 25% more expensive than the R9 290 and so isn't in his budget unless he wants to get an even worse CPU. The two cards are not comparable. Considering I already stretched his budget a bit, I don't feel comfortable fitting in the GTX 970. The GTX 770 is the comparable card with around the same price, and the R9 290 soundly beats that.

As far as the PSU "peforming" better, that makes no sense. In a non-server build we only care about sufficient power delivery and ripple prevention, and having a lower load on the PSU helps with efficiency, not things that actually matter in this build. He gains almost nothing from going to 85% to 86% power efficiency (guestimates).

look GTX 970 is just 70 pounds more than the R9 290 so adding to your excellent suggestion of the rest parts he goes to 660 pounds wich is still in his price range and since he asked for nvidia i think 970 would fit better to his taste(http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-NVIDIA-Graphics-Cooling-Express/dp/B00NSEK2G2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414007826&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+970). However i am not sure if it will bottleneck with 8320 what is your opinion on that matter? As for the psu performing better i was wrong because it does not really matter as you said but performing more efficient would not increase it life span ?

It could increase the life span of his PSU, but the life span of these units are several years of constant usage already and so, again, it's not something you're ever liable to care about.

660 pounds is a bit over his stated 575 budget. Also, the GTX 970 will lead to bottlenecks with that CPU in games that favor single-threaded performance, but modern games that can take advantage of the 8320's many cores will run just fine. Really, if he can stretch his budget a bit, I think it'd be better spent on getting an i5 for better single threaded performance than getting the GTX 970. However the i5 + GTX 970 is a great price to performance point, but he simply can't reach it. On this budget everything is a compromise, and my opinion is the build I posted earlier. If you can find places to shave off enough money to get that i5 and 970, then holy cow go for that; more power to you. I just couldn't do it in his budget.

It could increase the life span of his PSU, but the life span of these units are several years of constant usage already and so, again, it's not something you're ever liable to care about.

660 pounds is a bit over his stated 575 budget. Also, the GTX 970 will lead to bottlenecks with that CPU in games that favor single-threaded performance, but modern games that can take advantage of the 8320's many cores will run just fine. Really, if he can stretch his budget a bit, I think it'd be better spent on getting an i5 for better single threaded performance than getting the GTX 970. However the i5 + GTX 970 is a great price to performance point, but he simply can't reach it. On this budget everything is a compromise, and my opinion is the build I posted earlier. If you can find places to shave off enough money to get that i5 and 970, then holy cow go for that; more power to you. I just couldn't do it in his budget.

Well i messed euros with pounds because 575 pounds is 700 euros so i got confused . Your built in that case is ideal . Indeed a Z97 wih an I5 4690K and 970 would be the best money he could spend but it all depends on him