Would CMod 11 speed up my old phone in anyway?

terrytek

So, my dad has this old Motorola Droid RAZR (not MAXX). It's old, and slow as hell. It only has a dual core CPU and 1GB of RAM. I want as light of an OS as possible. I tried CM11 on my mom's OPO and it was totally stunning. I also heard it's a bit easier on battery. I was wondering if I can replace my dad's old Android 4.0 OS running super slow and speed it up with CM11 or something faster. Can it work fine with less slowdown?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Probably a little but don't expect anything amazing, also do your parents actually know what root is? I mean root permissions are risky enough with people who "know what they're doing", never mind parents who might download any old crap from the store and hit accept. 

Probably a little but don't expect anything amazing, also do your parents actually know what root is? I mean root permissions are risky enough with people who "know what they're doing", never mind parents who might download any old crap from the store and hit accept. 

will root actually speed things up a lot? I'm not expecting a yes for that, so maybe i'll give cmod a try maybe. my parents don't know what root is.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

When I put CM on my htc one i do think it got faster. Was it night and day, no. But I felt like it was a bit more "clean" which make it quicker.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

It will be considerably faster most likely! I installed AOKP ROM which is on Android 4.4 on my mom's old Samsung Galaxy Ace which was running Android 2.3 and it sped it up considerably. The phone is kinda useless because the custom ROM took up a bit more storage space than Stock Android 2.3 so I only have about 20MB of space left after installing basic applications, keep in mind this phone only has about 250MB of storage space :P

I highly suggest you install a custom ROM on that phone, it will speed it up so much!

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

It will be considerably faster most likely! I installed AOKP ROM which is on Android 4.4 on my mom's old Samsung Galaxy Ace which was running Android 2.3 and it sped it up considerably. The phone is kinda useless because the custom ROM took up a bit more storage space than Stock Android 2.3 so I only have about 20MB of space left after installing basic applications, keep in mind this phone only has about 250MB of storage space :P

I highly suggest you install a custom ROM on that phone, it will speed it up so much!

I'm just talking about CM because that's the only custom ROM i know.

rooting won't speed it up but a light ROM wilk

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

rooting won't speed it up but a light ROM wilk

like how light? Is CM11 considered light?

CM is a good goto ROM but I suggest you go take a look around the XDA forums and find the best ROM you can for that phone :) 

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

like how light? Is CM11 considered light?

it is light but you also have lingo and paranoid but not all devices are supported by them

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

CM is a good goto ROM but I suggest you go take a look around the XDA forums and find the best ROM you can for that phone :)

is it possible to filter by supported devices?

is it possible to filter by supported devices?

Everything related to your device should be in here :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-razr

Here is where most of the ROM's are posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-razr/development

My Current Build: 

having kitkat itself would help a lot.

the phone itself only goes up to 4.0 ICS (but does not look like it), but i'm trying to cheat it by installing a 4.4.4 ROM.

Everything related to your device should be in here :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-razr

Here is where most of the ROM's are posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/droid-razr/development

I'll look into that.

the phone itself only goes up to 4.0 ICS (but does not look like it), but i'm trying to cheat it by installing a 4.4.4 ROM.

that's my point, just running a 4.4.4 custom ROM will help a lot.

Would he mind not installing google apps? I think it could make it a bit faster. What are his main uses on his phone?

Would he mind not installing google apps? I think it could make it a bit faster. What are his main uses on his phone?

Oops meant to edit

that's my point, just running a 4.4.4 custom ROM will help a lot.

Ok, if you mean a custom rom. I just need one that is based of CM at least and is light enough to feel snappy on a dual core 1GB ram phone.

will root actually speed things up a lot? I'm not expecting a yes for that, so maybe i'll give cmod a try maybe. my parents don't know what root is.

Root will do nothing on its own, CM might do a bit but don't expect anything groundbreaking and if you are going to root it for your parents make sure you lock down the device, go into dev options and disable root permissions at the very least.