FX-8320 Bad Performance

I have an FX8350 (stock speed) + 2x GTX670 SLi + 16GB RAM (2nd rig) and honestly speaking, I've had zero issue running games at max setting at 1080P (other than not having sufficient VRAM in certain games). It helps that I'm a SP FPS player, and that I don't have MSI AB running in the background telling me how many % of my GPU rendering power is at work.  Besides, MSI AB caused my system to BSOD or hard lock (need to hit reset button). Since uninstalling AB, I've had zero issue with games, all games I play that is, running just fine. Even Metro 2033 and LL are quite doable at max setting + PhysX.

Hell, liked my FX8350 so much, I was willing to try the older AM3 X6 1100T simply because I liked the idea of 6 physical cores (at 3.9ghz, my 3rd rig).....built it just a few months back (8GB system RAM, HD7970) and thus far, it hasn't disappointed me in any of the games I've tried on it. No doubt Intel is faster, but I don't think the FX8xxx is as bad as some have made it out to be. You may look at my sig and say, sure the dude has one Intel rig and two AMD rigs, so he's gonna defend AMD. I do have a 4th rig powered by a C2Q X9650 at 3.7ghz and it's a stellar performer as well.

As for TS's issue, perhaps something else is at play causing the bad GPU usage...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Getting very poor performance from FX-8320 with my R9 290. I've done research regarding this combination, and I'm fully aware that the fx 8320 is a bottleneck. Although, I don't think it should be as bad as it is. Here's a video of BF3 showing how my R9 290 is only getting less than 70% usage because the fx8320 can't feed it data fast enough. If I play BF4 with mantle enabled the R9 290 runs perfectly fine at 99% gpu usage and over 90fps avg. 64 player. I know it's not the GPU, single player runs fine, but the more CPU intensive mutliplayer struggles. I've tried underclocking, reinstalls, overclocking, nothing is working, I'm guessing it's the motherboards fault, but I'm not going to waste money keeping this platform alive, would just switch to Intel.

Here's all readings, CPU temps are fine, VRM temps good, clock speeds are constant, yet gpu usage sucks because if the fx8320.

That says that the CPU is bottlenecking under DX11. As Mantle evens the load between the cores and removes overhead that will improve performance, just the performance improvement can vary. Out of interest, what's stopping you from playing using Mantle? Seeing as that is giving you quite a performance increase.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

That says that the CPU is bottlenecking under DX11. As Mantle evens the load between the cores and removes overhead that will improve performance, just the performance improvement can vary. Out of interest, what's stopping you from playing using Mantle? Seeing as that is giving you quite a performance increase.

Perhaps TS is concerned about performance with non-Mantle games.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Nothing is stopping me, I use mantle. Its just a good example to show that nothing is wrong with the GPU and that there's CPU overhead.

Okay, some new stuff has come to light and its strange. I was tinkering around in my bios trying different multipliers and voltages and when I rebooted into windows the driver for my sound card (creative recon soundblaster) reset so windows defaulted to my headphones which are plugged into my on board audio. I started playing bf3 and sound wasnt coming out of my speakers so I was about to alt/tab to address the issue when I noticed I was getting over 100fps like I should with 99% GPU usage. I was so happy, I thought it was something I changed in the bios so reset my settings in the bios to figure out what it was. Couldn't figure it out. I rebooted and in bf3 was getting shitty performance. So I started thinking of things that were different when I was getting 99% gpu usage and remembered my sound card wasn't being used. So I turned off my machine, ripped out the sound card and voila! 99% GPU usage. Holy balls, the sound card was causing the isse. I'll post a video sometime tomorrow. Now I'm getting 90ish percent GPU usage with dips down into the 70%'s instead of it being under 70% usage all the time. Looks like I can hold off switching to Intel... For now :P

Okay, some new stuff has come to light and its strange. I was tinkering around in my bios trying different multipliers and voltages and when I rebooted into windows the driver for my sound card (creative recon soundblaster) reset so windows defaulted to my headphones which are plugged into my on board audio. I started playing bf3 and sound wasnt coming out of my speakers so I was about to alt/tab to address the issue when I noticed I was getting over 100fps like I should with 99% GPU usage. I was so happy, I thought it was something I changed in the bios so reset my settings in the bios to figure out what it was. Couldn't figure it out. I rebooted and in bf3 was getting shitty performance. So I started thinking of things that were different when I was getting 99% gpu usage and remembered my sound card wasn't being used. So I turned off my machine, ripped out the sound card and voila! 99% GPU usage. Holy balls, the sound card was causing the isse. I'll post a video sometime tomorrow. Now I'm getting 90ish percent GPU usage with dips down into the 70%'s instead of it being under 70% usage all the time. Looks like I can hold off switching to Intel... For now :P

glad you were able to solve your problem!

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Hmmm bf3 is playing better, but dx11 under bf4 is unchanged. My other dx11 games like metro last light, crysis 3, and witcher 2 are running around 75% to 85% GPU usage with plenty of noticeable dips.

Hmmm bf3 is playing better, but dx11 under bf4 is unchanged. My other dx11 games like metro last light, crysis 3, and witcher 2 are running around 75% to 85% GPU usage with plenty of noticeable dips.

Turn your motion blur down to a 10th of the bar and change the resolution refresh rate to 60hz not 58.8 or whatever it is.

• 4 years later...
On 10/20/2014 at 5:44 PM, UnbendingNose said:

Getting very poor performance from FX-8320 with my R9 290. I've done research regarding this combination, and I'm fully aware that the fx 8320 is a bottleneck. Although, I don't think it should be as bad as it is. Here's a video of BF3 showing how my R9 290 is only getting less than 70% usage because the fx8320 can't feed it data fast enough. If I play BF4 with mantle enabled the R9 290 runs perfectly fine at 99% gpu usage and over 90fps avg. 64 player. I know it's not the GPU, single player runs fine, but the more CPU intensive mutliplayer struggles. I've tried underclocking, reinstalls, overclocking, nothing is working, I'm guessing it's the motherboards fault, but I'm not going to waste money keeping this platform alive, would just switch to Intel.

Here's all readings, CPU temps are fine, VRM temps good, clock speeds are constant, yet gpu usage sucks because if the fx8320.

2zgdi77.jpg

Not gonna lie, Im not sure how you get poor performance on battlefield 3... I use an fx8320e and play battlefield v at 1080p 60fps.... my gpu is a rx5704gb........