Need some help with over-heating cpu

Hello LTT Forum

I recently completed a build on Sunday  :) which looked like it was going just fine (brand new parts for everything but the GPU). Everything worked after the install and after running a couple benchmarks, etc. I was very happy with the result.

I turned on my comp today (two days later) and the fans ramped up to super fast and wouldn't quit. :wacko: When Corsair Link came up, it showed that my CPU temps were in the 70s and there was something wrong with my fans...  :o  This was weird as I wasn't running anything at all (i.e. I just booted up the comp).

I turned off the computer completely, shut off the PSU completely for a couple minutes before powering on again. This time the Asus boot screen said that my CPU temps were out of control.

Now I have a Corsair H100i installed and installed properly I assure you. I used rubber spacers on the back to the board to get rid of the slack from  the mounting screws and keep pressure between the waterblock and the cpu. All fans are working properly (all four fans: two case fans and two radiator fans).

I don't know what's going on and I'm freaking out!!! I just bought all this stuff!!!

Weird thing is that I found some strange tuning fork looking thing on the bottom of my case... I have a really clean build, so I'm not sure how it got there and believe it might have fallen off from "somewhere"... (see photos)

post-143441-0-38508400-1413339626_thumb.post-143441-0-99429600-1413339628_thumb.

Build

• i7 4790k w/ Corsair H100i
  • Asus Maximus VII Gene
  • Corsair Vengence 4x4GB
  • GTX 670 OC (waiting on 980s to come in)
  • Corsair 350D case

Any help or guidance as to what I should try next would be much appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Gene Sound: SupremeFX Impact II | RAM: 4 x Crucial Vengence 4GB 2133MHz | GPU: Asus GTX980 Strix | Case: Corsair 350D (all Corsair AF/SP fans) | HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i | PSU: Corsair ax860i | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit | Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T.5 | Keyboard: Sidewinder  x4 | Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S24A650S | Headphones: Steelseries Siberia v2

That's wierd. Did you use pre-applied thermal paste? If you didn't, did you apply it correctly?

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Make sure that the cooler is mounted properly on top of the CPU and that it's screwed down tight, but not crazy tight. It's possible that the way you installed the cooler created a big air bubble in the thermal compound so you might want to reinstall it if tightening screws doesn't work. The stock thermal compound that comes with corsair AIO liquid coolers though is great so that shouldn't be an issue. Check that the CPU_FAN header from your H100i is plugged into the corresponding place on your motherboard (although this doesn't really affect temps, not doing so can cause your motherboard to give you fan errors sometimes even though there's really nothing wrong).

If it's possible, could you get core temps instead of reading the CPU temperature in your BIOS or through the ASUS AI Suite utility? You can use a program like realtemp to monitor your core temps.

I really have no idea what that 'tuning fork' thing is... sorry

I don't really understand what you mean by 'rubber spacers'. Could you explain a bit more or attach pictures?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Assuming it's not the mount or an air bubble like @failblox mentioned, the pump is really the only other thing that could be failing. Make sure the pump is running @ max RPM.

As for the mystery dwarf tuning fork...no idea.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

So - it was a fresh install using the H100i's pre-applied thermal paste. It's pretty hard to mess up with Corsair's perfectly smoothed out thermal paste...

The photos below show where I plugged the fan header into the motherboard (at the top of the board / straight above the CPU). There's two four pin slots there. The fan header is a three-pin. I plugged it into the one called "CPU_FAN"... (see photos)

I can't really get into the Asus bios utility... I don't even really know how to use it...  :rolleyes:

IMG_20141014_224619.jpgIMG_20141014_225322.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Gene Sound: SupremeFX Impact II | RAM: 4 x Crucial Vengence 4GB 2133MHz | GPU: Asus GTX980 Strix | Case: Corsair 350D (all Corsair AF/SP fans) | HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i | PSU: Corsair ax860i | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit | Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T.5 | Keyboard: Sidewinder  x4 | Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S24A650S | Headphones: Steelseries Siberia v2

ok - so I replaced the plug and booted into Asus Bios. It said there was a "CPU Fan Error". The temperatures simply kept climbing from 35 C up to 75 C before I shut it down. All the fans are spinning at full throttle and there's plenty of air circulation.

I'm still perplexed... I have no idea what's going on here.

ok - so I replaced the plug and booted into Asus Bios. It said there was a "CPU Fan Error". The temperatures simply kept climbing from 35 C up to 75 C before I shut it down. All the fans are spinning at full throttle and there's plenty of air circulation.

I'm still perplexed... I have no idea what's going on here.

Boot into BIOS, find QFan Control, Select CPU_FAN and choose the "full" or "turbo" profile

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Remove anything that has to do with Corsair Link.  Unplug and uninstall.  It has been known to cause issues in the past.  Control everything through Fan Xpert. Have your pump's fan header plugged directly into a molex so that it runs 100% at all times.  Assuming that you properly mounted the H100i including rubber washers, the pump is the only point of failure that I can think of, other than a potential software issue with Corsair Link.

No idea what that tuning fork is.

Side note:

Can we please stop recommending H100i's to people?  Seriously, this cooler has a minimum of 1 problem per day on this forum alone.  Today I think its been 3 between the Troubleshooting, CPU, Mobo, & RAM, and WaterCooling sections.

This cooler has a very bad mounting problem, and it is not guaranteed to work for everyone out of the box without modifications.  The Corsair link software is buggy at best, and this cooler seems to cause more headaches than it alleviates. Yes, the cooler does work for some, but a product that works for some and not others is not one I can recommend, especially with so many complaints.  Corsair knows of the problem, their forum is littered with posts about the H100i and H80i.

Here are the links I most often use when helping people with the H100i.  I have them bookmarked because I am linking them multiple times a day:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1482988/should-i-really-add-extra-washers-to-the-corsair-h100i-back-plate-to-make-it-fit-more-snug

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=623994&postcount=3

cm6m.jpg

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman - I hear what you're saying. It's tough to get the "not recommended" sign-off because there are countless youtube videos and websites praising the product - there's even a Linus Tech Tips video!!! (haven't watched that specific one though).

I solved the mounting problem by using the rubber-washers for hard drive mounting screws. They work perfectly and the block fits very VERY snug against the cpu. There's definitely no problem with contact between the block and the cpu.

My guess at the moment is a faulty pump, which really sucks. I'll likely take it back to the store I bought it this weekend and get a new one...

THESE RUBBER WASHERS WORK (but doesn't solve my exact problem). Take the metal things out and use only the blue washers on the back plate screw-hole thingys.

m-QcdwRt7rSflAQ_ohxkdBA.jpg

* was able to boot into Asus Bios and noticed the "CPU fan error" and saw temperatures slowly climb. Fan speeds were at maximum....