The leap to X99. Worth it?

Pkekyo

Right

I bought an Asus Rampage IV Black Edition and i7 4930K CPU for my Cross Desk build, but had to RMA them both.
Last night, I was notified that I'm getting a refund of roughly $1320 USD.

So now I'm facing a dilemma. Should I track down another R4BE (retailer has stopped stocking it), and buy a second 4930K - or should I jump the X99 bandwagon to make my build even more future-proof?

I've got half an eye at the Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard, but on account of the theme of my build, I would have to paint all the white bits and pieces black. Are there any X99-motherboards similar to it that are black (with IO cover and all)?
I have heard mixed opinions about the X99-Deluxe though, so I'd love to hear from anyone with first-hand experience.

The CPU I would be getting in combination with the X99-Deluxe would be the i7 5930K. Any pitfalls about this one I should know about?

Also: Are DDR4 RAM-slots backwards compatible? 'cause I have 64GB worth of high-end DDR3 RAM here that would essentially be paperweights if not, so that's a major factor to consider.

Too much is never enough.

DO IT! The more people do it, the cheaper it's gonna get for the rest :P

Seriously though, why do you have 64GB of ram ???

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Because my motherboard had eight slots for RAM?  :rolleyes:

Also: Are DDR4 RAM-slots backwards compatible? 'cause I have 64GB worth of high-end DDR3 RAM here that would essentially be paperweights if not, so that's a major factor to consider.

X99 needs DDR4. So get another 4930K, unless you can sell the DDR3 for a good price.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

That's a fair point.
I suppose I should be able to recoup a bit of cash, considering the retail price of this RAM is roughly $1120 USD.
If I can live with not having 64GB immediately, and buy more later once the price goes down, I could (probably) save quite a bit of money if I go for some 2666MHz Dominators or so. I assume performance would be fine, so the only sacrifice I would have to make compared to the DDR3 would be aesthetics.

Are there other pros/cons of moving to X99 that I should be aware of?

That's a fair point.

I suppose I should be able to recoup a bit of cash, considering the retail price of this RAM is roughly $1120 USD.

If I can live with not having 64GB immediately, and buy more later once the price goes down, I could (probably) save quite a bit of money if I go for some 2666MHz Dominators or so. I assume performance would be fine, so the only sacrifice I would have to make compared to the DDR3 would be aesthetics.

Are there other pros/cons of moving to X99 that I should be aware of?

The only real con that i can think of is you'll be paying through the teeth for DDR4

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

X99 works fine for me so far, I had only superior experiences so far. I am using an Asus X99 Deluxe. The white cover is pretty easy to remove and you could just paint it.

For me it was a good upgrade because I´ll be running shortly a 3way SLI and I want to make sure that I have a CPU that has enough native PCIe 3.0 lanes to support x16 x16 x8. But I came from the mainstream side.

But unless you are looking for one of the new X99 features, then X79 with a i7 4930K is totally fine. If you have these expensive RAM already you could just stay on X79 and get another CPU (supposing yours was bad).

Performance wise there isn´t much difference.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well, that settles it then. I'm flogging the RAM and buying all new shiny X-99 stuff and painting it black! :)

Thanks, gents!