iTunes alternatives

KemoKa
Go to solution Solved by DigitalHermit,

@KemoKa

Does the funcionality you need include the iTunes store?

If not I suggest AIMP3 or Foobar...

I have heard on quite frequent occasion that Linus and the gang really hate iTunes and I totally agree with them and anyone here who happens to as well. However, I've been using it for years and it's interface is pretty much the only one I'm used to (except Winamp, which was totally unstable the last time I tried it.)

Does anyone know some good alternatives to iTunes that work on Windows? (I would use RhythmBox but I'm not going Linux just yet) Ones you use or that the Kings use themselves? I'd like to get away from how slow and inflexible iTunes is but never been able to find a good replacement.

Cheers!

@KemoKa

im using MusicBee and it works fine

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Never had any problem with iTunes either. Just need to know how it works, and it works just fine.

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

Another vote for foobar2000 I think :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 with Open Shell

Vivaldi x64, HWInfo64, Macrium Reflect Free, SoftMaker Office, XYplorer pro

Not at all, I hate paying for 128kbps mp3s. never doing that again...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out!

My experience with iTunes has been that it works quite well on Mac, and on Windows it's pretty mediocre. On Linux I used to like Banshee a lot as it's quite similar (it uses GTK3 now so it's no longer qtcurve-compatible though:(). It's been ported to Windows, but it's still in alpha. You can give that a go if you like.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Google play music is my new go to music listening service. Especially if you need to keep your android synced up with your itunes purchases.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

My experience with iTunes has been that it works quite well on Mac, and on Windows it's pretty mediocre. On Linux I used to like Banshee a lot as it's quite similar (it uses GTK3 now so it's no longer qtcurve-compatible though:(). It's been ported to Windows, but it's still in alpha. You can give that a go if you like.

I disagree... I can't even download iTunes (on any of my machines that run windows)...

Seriously...

I disagree... I can't even download iTunes (on any of my machines that run windows)...

Seriously...

I am now a convert to AIMP3. ahhhhhhh the liberation...

Thank you!

I am now a convert to AIMP3. ahhhhhhh the liberation...

Thank you!

You can snap it to the edge of the screen and it auto-hides itself too...

Just a little trick...

Also look around in the DSP Manager and you can do some pretty cool stuff with your tracks...

And then there's the multiple playlists...

I haven't explored all its features yet but it's my main audio player on Windows...

Musicbee is the best player i have found, lightweight and super fast, great interface with great customisabillity and supports pretty much everything  aswell as asio playback. 

The nicest one that I use is the J. River Jukebox. Don't confuse with their Media Centre which they want you to pay. The jukebox is free and has all the functionality that you need. It maxed out at version 14.

If you're looking for radio streaming I recommend RadioSure. Has tons of stations, it's stable and it's small.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Itunes is brilliant. The only problem with itunes is that it updates a lot and doesn't play FLACs. There are other formats it doesn't support  but for general and enthusiast music listeners it is perfect. Syncing iphones or doing other stuff is shit with itunes but purely as a music player, it is one of the easiest to use.

I love the way it puts all music into one single giant list (as shown below) but easily sorts it by whatever you like (I use artist) and then all albums are just sorted alphabetically. I hate having to select different artists in different libraries (the way Foobar is as shown below). The fact that all artists are in one giant list, I can easily get from one artist to another by simply typing in the first couple of letters of their name (I don't mean type into a search, type anywhere in the list) and it sends me directly to that part of the list and from there I can scroll through all of their albums . It also helps to have the Logitech G9x with the free scroll mouse wheel (with one flick of mouse wheel and I can scroll over 8500 songs :P).

Does anyone know if Foobar or other music players can be sorted like this?

post-8262-0-31609600-1411045084_thumb.pn    post-8262-0-65880100-1411044644.png

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

@KemoKa

agree I used winamp untill it died then moved over to foobar... haven't looked back

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Being someone in the same position, I just tried Foobar, and it's AWESOME. It even works with keyboard shortcuts (something I was worried about), super configurable too. Only thing I needed iTunes for was changing the album artwork of a couple songs.
Foobar: Recommended.

EDIT: It doesn't work with my Rainmeter theme... :(

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Spotify, soundcloud, youtube, plugdj or just itunes. I like iTunes :P

I prefer my music player to be as simple as possible. No need for a browser, library or anything. Just open a playlist or select a folder and have basic controls.

Xion has been my #1 for years now. I don't use or want anything else.

I'd like to get away from how slow and inflexible iTunes is but never been able to find a good replacement.

Dude, I'm running iTunes on a 6 yo PC and it works great. Also, one of the reasons I love iTunes is because of the flexibility.

After the 11.0 downgrade I cursed Apple to hell for ruining an almost perfect music player but slowly, trough updates, it regained some of the functionality it lost. Not saying the current iTunes is perfect (it's not) but it's still a extremely flexible music player.

I understand the complaints people have abut syncing and i'm not gonna defend it there, but as a music player it's extremely hard to beat.

- Now with added  WUB WUB -

@KemoKa

I can vouch for Foobar, I personally use it. Functionality with a simple UI