swapping AMD gpu for Nvidia gpu issue HELP!

Hi all,

So i built my friend a gaming rig a few weeks ago and he decided to replace the R9 280 with a gtx770,

He uninstalled the old AMD drivers and set to installing the new 770.

Card installed he started to download and install the latest nvidia drivers 340.52 and started to run into problems straight away.

During the install it would hang very close to the beginning of the process and then proceeded to stop responding leaving the only option to terminate the process with task manager (and thus leaving fragments of partially installed files)

After cleaning up the partially installed drivers with a driver sweeper, we booted into safe mode and tried to install using that... SUCCESS! (or so we thought)

Booting back into normal windows now none of his games will boot and steam wont even open. Also when trying to restart or shutdown it now just hangs on the 'shutting down' screen.

any help would be appreciated.

system specs

amd 6300

gigabyte 970A-UD3P 

8gb Crucial Balistix

1tb seagate barracuda

gtx 770

corsair cx700m psu 

Prob best to re-install Windows. I know it's a large thing, but to be honest, it is better that way.

Then, use Steam Mover to move the programs and games from windows.old to the new program files.

Compatible with Windows 95

thanks for the quick reply.

yeah we're already getting on with creating a windows boot usb and we have all his games n stuff backed up but was hoping for a quicker solution

did you already attempt to wipe all drivers that have to do with amd and did you try reinstallling steam

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

yeah we wiped all the amd drivers using 'uninstall programs' on control panel and then used display driver uninstaller to get all the hidden rubbish but something still seems to be conflicting somewhere.

• 5 weeks later...

hi guys sorry not posted in a while, he ended up changing his mind again and now is waiting on a 970 strix in the post haha