Talktalk quality?

oliverjrose99

Hi

Is any one here with talktalk for internet, if so how good are the speeds and how stable is the connection. We are currently with virgin media but it is becoming too exspensive and so are thinking of changing to talktalk becuase of the price.

Thanks

Talktalk is a dogshit service run very poorly, avoid it and try to negotiate a loyalty discount with virgin they are normally pretty good about it if you call them and say you are considering leaving due to the cost.

Currently using TalkTalk broadband, gonna be swapping to fiber soon. But their line soo far has been steady, only downside is you're gonna struggle to get put through to a native english speaker for any kind of support if a problem arises. They outsource their call centers to india, and lack UK based call centers. After some dicking about you do get put through to a US call center which fixes any issue 9 timed out of 10. I've not had to contact their support for over 2 years now though.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Hi, Is any one here with talktalk for internet, if so how good are the speeds and how stable is the connection. We are currently with virgin media but it is becoming too exspensive and so are thinking of changing to talktalk because of the price. Thanks

Hello oliverjrose99 & welcome to the Linus tech tips forum :)

I was previously with talktalk & I gotta say their service in Central London where I live is utterly appalling (this may vary because of where you live of course) the cost for the service wasn't what it was advertised at the time (had to pay double on the broadband package) hardly any choice since fiber isn't as available & bad service for a couple years.

Personally my family is with EE however I think we're definitely going to need to change once more.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Talktalk is a dogshit service run very poorly, avoid it and try to negotiate a loyalty discount with virgin they are normally pretty good about it if you call them and say you are considering leaving due to the cost.

Thanks will try that

who are you with now?

Currently using TalkTalk broadband, gonna be swapping to fiber soon. But their line soo far has been steady, only downside is you're gonna struggle to get put through to a native english speaker for any kind of support if a problem arises. They outsource their call centers to india, and lack UK based call centers. After some dicking about you do get put through to a US call center which fixes any issue 9 timed out of 10. I've not had to contact their support for over 2 years now though.

what sort of speed do you normally get?

Thanks will try that

who are you with now?

what sort of speed do you normally get?

Speed is determined on where you live mate, and how close/far you are from the nearest junction box.

Personally though, with ol' cooper wire broadband, i get ~380kb/s download, ~60kb/s upload.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

how close/far you are from the nearest junction box.

if thats the green box at the end of my close, quite close

if thats the green box at the end of my close, quite close

You ran the line test thingy on the TalkTalk site? It'll give a rough idea of what you'd get from them.

Thanks will try that

who are you with now?

Virgin, I pay £25 a month for 100Mb web, no phone line no TV.

In my opinion Virgin is the best web provider in the UK if you negotiate the price a bit, they have a whole department for loyalty negotiations who dealt with my case and offered me a good enough deal to keep me, it's their job to make you stay so they have authority to offer a good deal.

I've got Talk Talk FIbre it is very stable and fast, it never drops out but they limit the upload to 2Mbits but other than that i get stable 40Mbits/s, i did used to have their regular broadband, it was crap, kept dropping out every hour and was so slow.

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

You ran the line test thingy on the TalkTalk site? It'll give a rough idea of what you'd get from them.

it keeps saying it failed to load conifg but on a different test site i got about 5 down and 1 up

Virgin, I pay £25 a month for 100Mb web, no phone line no TV.

In my opinion Virgin is the best web provider in the UK if you negotiate the price a bit, they have a whole department for loyalty negotiations who dealt with my case and offered me a good enough deal to keep me, it's their job to make you stay so they have authority to offer a good deal.

how come you don't have a land line, most major isp's make you have one

how come you don't have a land line, most major isp's make you have one

Virgin uses cable for internet in areas with it installed in the street, they only use the phone network where there is no cable.