A few questions on compatibility [Regarding GPUs]

Billy Buttcheeks
Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,

You have probably seen my many posts about the R9 270, 270X, 280, and 285. Since the latter 2 cards will be around the same price as the GTX 760 AND the 280 having a possible price drop. I ruled out the GTX 760 for a card I could upgrade to. 

I just have 2 simple questions so I know 100% I can upgrade without buying anything else. 

Here is my Motherboard (I have heard that since I am using only 1 GPU that having a PCI 2.0 slot will not affect having a 3.0 card)

Here is my PSU (Is 650W enough for an R9 280? (Since that is the most power hungry card of the bunch, if this is a yes then its a go for any of the other cards too)

I noticed on the MSI AND Gigabyte R9 280 that they both only have ONE DVI port and it is THIS. Will THIS work even though its not the EXACT same?

However, on the Sapphire one it has both so that's good. I think MSI, Sapphire, and Gigabyte are the top 3 non-reference design cards. But that's just my opinion.

So is it possible my friends?

yes. 650w is enough. Yes they will work. 

Although, I would personally opt for Sapphire, but thats just because I like sapphire :3 

You have probably seen my many posts about the R9 270, 270X, 280, and 285. Since the latter 2 cards will be around the same price as the GTX 760 AND the 280 having a possible price drop. I ruled out the GTX 760 for a card I could upgrade to. 

I just have 2 simple questions so I know 100% I can upgrade without buying anything else. 

Here is my Motherboard (I have heard that since I am using only 1 GPU that having a PCI 2.0 slot will not affect having a 3.0 card)

Here is my PSU (Is 650W enough for an R9 280? (Since that is the most power hungry card of the bunch, if this is a yes then its a go for any of the other cards too)

I noticed on the MSI AND Gigabyte R9 280 that they both only have ONE DVI port and it is THIS. Will THIS work even though its not the EXACT same?

However, on the Sapphire one it has both so that's good. I think MSI, Sapphire, and Gigabyte are the top 3 non-reference design cards. But that's just my opinion.

Although, I would personally opt for Sapphire, but thats just because I like sapphire :3 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thank you <3 

Now I will be praying to based god for the non reference R9 285s to be released at the same time as the reference

Thank you <3 

Now I will be praying to based god for the non reference R9 285s to be released at the same time as the reference

280 > 285

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

280 > 285

I thought the 285 will be replacing the 280? 

Like the 280 is on par or better than the GTX 760, and AMD announced that this will beat the GTX 760 by like 15% or something. Also it uses less power, but it does have the drop in memory and clock speed :( <----Is that why?"

Also why do you like Sapphire? Is it because you only bought them or you have tried at least one other and prefer it? For example, I really like the look of MSI's gaming card and the Twin Frozrs. However, the DUAL-X/Vapor X coolers from Sapphire look formidable and Gigabytes Windforce :( 

THE CHOICES

Thank you <3 

A few major companies have shown they GPU with the non-reference coolers

just wait for the price to be released and decide from there

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Like the 280 is on par or better than the GTX 760, and AMD announced that this will beat the GTX 760 by like 15% or something. Also it uses less power, but it does have the drop in memory and clock speed :( <----Is that why?"

Also why do you like Sapphire? Is it because you only bought them or you have tried at least one other and prefer it? For example, I really like the look of MSI's gaming card and the Twin Frozrs. However, the DUAL-X/Vapor X coolers from Sapphire look formidable and Gigabytes Windforce :( 

THE CHOICES

Unless I'm just being stupid here, I'm pretty sure the 280 is better than the 285. The 280 is also closer to the 770 than the 760.

I've had a sapphire card in the past (albeit a long time ago). MSI is excellent too. Go with whatever looks better to you. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

THE CHOICES

it actually similar to the 280 in terms of power but at a lower wattage and lower memory bus

Sapphire and Powercolor are the AMD partners for making AMD cards

MSI also make good GPUs

and I do like the Twin Forzrs card

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Unless I'm just being stupid here, I'm pretty sure the 280 is better than the 285. The 280 is also closer to the 770 than the 760.

I've had a sapphire card in the past (albeit a long time ago). MSI is excellent too. Go with whatever looks better to you. 

Alright, so should I just buy the cheapest of the 3 cards? Like the MSI one is 234.99 and the Sapphire is 219.99 

:/ 

Are the temps, noise, and performance pretty close and not worth 15 bucks?

Alright, so should I just buy the cheapest of the 3 cards? Like the MSI one is 234.99 and the Sapphire is 219.99 

:/ 

Are the temps, noise, and performance pretty close and not worth 15 bucks?

they are pretty close

take the Sapphire since it is cheaper

they are pretty close

take the Sapphire since it is cheaper

Alright just saying that for example. Like you said, my body will wait for the release of the 285. SORRY GUYS IM JUST REALLY EXCITED TO UPGRADE TO A GPU THAT WILL ACTUALLY ALLOW ME TO PLAY SOME GAMES.

Ill just apply that method for the other cards. Cheap, good reviews and benchmarks (y)