New PC - Sapphire R9 290 giving me random flickers

gaz

Because I had the exact same issue with the exact same card.

I tried different drivers, I tried underclocking it (memory and core both), I tried disconnecting other components from my mobo, I made sure it was running cool, I tried different PCIE slots but nothing worked. Sometimes I would think it was fixed but after a couple of days it would come back. When it starts flashing it happens continiously and during this if I launched a game I would get some mild artifacting, it can be temporarily resolved by a hard power reset of the system. At other times it can work perfectly fine. Throughout all this performance was not affected.

Eventually I contacted my retailer. They gave me a replacement, from the same batch mind you... but it worked flawlessly from day one.

When I asked them about how often stuff like this happens they estimated from their experience that about one in twenty GPUs (or 5%) are faulty.

Cheers for that man. Will contact my retailer.

Intel i7 4790K | Corsair Hydro Series H90 Asus Z97-A | Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz | Corsair RM750 PSU | 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | 1TB WD Blue | Fractal Design Define R4

Because I had the exact same issue with the exact same card.

I tried different drivers, I tried underclocking it (memory and core both), I tried disconnecting other components from my mobo, I made sure it was running cool, I tried different PCIE slots but nothing worked. Sometimes I would think it was fixed but after a couple of days it would come back. When it starts flashing it happens continiously and during this if I launched a game I would get some mild artifacting, it can be temporarily resolved by a hard power reset of the system. At other times it can work perfectly fine. Throughout all this performance was not affected.

Eventually I contacted my retailer. They gave me a replacement, from the same batch mind you... but it worked flawlessly from day one.

When I asked them about how often stuff like this happens they estimated from their experience that about one in twenty GPUs (or 5%) are faulty.

Btw, was this only when you had turned it up to 120/144hz on your monitor?

Intel i7 4790K | Corsair Hydro Series H90 Asus Z97-A | Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz | Corsair RM750 PSU | 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | 1TB WD Blue | Fractal Design Define R4

Btw, was this only when you had turned it up to 120/144hz on your monitor?

Nope I run at 60Hz.

Nope I run at 60Hz.

This only happens to me when I run 120/144..

After some research I decided to send the GPU back to the retailer for a replacement. €37 down and at least two weeks of waiting is the result. Hopefully it is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

So the new card just arrived yesterday and as I boot my PC up today the exact same issue occurs. What the fuck will I do?

So the flickering is now severely worse and I have, just now this morning, already run in to two blackscreens... Will send it back, wait another two weeks and get an NVIDIA card. 

The result of the brand new card, "straight from the factory" 

http://youtu.be/oSZpupCchNQ

• 2 weeks later...

At this stage, I just want to give closure to the thread. After my third(!) GPU arrived, everything seems to be working as it should. Conclusion: I should have waiter for the GTX 970 and stick with that. Unfortunately my retailer would not refund the money but rather sent out a new 290. 

And by the way, I tested the second replacement with another monitor and a totally new PC, and the issue persisted. So troubleshooting was done.