Corsair RGB K70...Yay or Nay?...looking for opinions.

equippedbum
Go to solution Solved by equippedbum,

I'd say wait. It's not far off. And it'll be important to know if it'll have the same problem as the standard K70 did, which was LEDs dying after a few months.

Yeah...I'm gonna wait for a few firsthand reviews before I buy.

I love my k70 but I never turn on the back lights I like the straight simple black look so I personally wouldnt want the rgb but if you are into lights I bet it would be really sweet to have all those color options.

I'd say wait. It's not far off. And it'll be important to know if it'll have the same problem as the standard K70 did, which was LEDs dying after a few months.

Yeah...I'm gonna wait for a few firsthand reviews before I buy.

I saw and used the keyboards first hand at PAX Prime. To me, they didn't seem as vibrant as the promo pictures and video made them out to be. They're still really cool, just not mind blowing.

Well I just got mine today. Photos attached below as proof.
First off, when you plug it in, it can't be used until it setups of the drivers, which can't be done until you're on the desktop. The entire surface is brush aluminium and it will be interesting to see how it holds up in the long run.

The biggest gripes I have with it right now. Corsairs hasn't appeared to have released the drivers to customize the backlighting at the time I am writing this; that means it defaults to red backlights with white one WASD and arrow keys and the number 7 for some reason. This is a real shame because when you first plug it into your computer; and are unable to use it but the colours are the full rainbow spectrum. Also right now I only have access to 3 brightness levels not including off. The wrist rest is a 'tad too small, would have preferred it to be 0.5cm longer, but I have above average hands. I will write a full member review once the drivers for the keyboard come out because it's unfair to review it without being able to try out its biggest feature. So the only permanent issue that I would have with this keyboard is the spacebar; it isn't bad, but they mounted it with the wire instead of what Ducky do with two fake switches on the side to stabilize it so it doesn't feel as firm as I would like it.

As mentioned before wait until I write the full review for it before purchasing. Once the full drivers come out give me a day to play around with it. 

TL; DR: It's too early to judge. 

post-26779-0-71610400-1409829521.jpg

post-26779-0-98900100-1409829763_thumb.j

post-26779-0-71106300-1409829801_thumb.j

Does anyone know if Linus is planing on reviewing the K70 RGB / K95 RGB upon their release or soon after? I would hope so considering we've seen 2 videos on it from CES / PAX before the release :)

"Never trust the authenticity of a quote on the internet."

-Abraham Lincoln 

My birthday is next Friday, so I have been researching the crap outta the k70 RGB. On the one hand, I want it NOW. But then I looked further into the K95 and I personally think that 18 extra macro keys and Cherry Mx Blue Switches are definitely worth the wait. Should be, what... 20 more days after the k70 or something like that? Anyone know anything about the k95 release?

Well I just got mine today. Photos attached below as proof.

First off, when you plug it in, it can't be used until it setups of the drivers, which can't be done until you're on the desktop. The entire surface is brush aluminium and it will be interesting to see how it holds up in the long run.

The biggest gripes I have with it right now. Corsairs hasn't appeared to have released the drivers to customize the backlighting at the time I am writing this; that means it defaults to red backlights with white one WASD and arrow keys and the number 7 for some reason. This is a real shame because when you first plug it into your computer; and are unable to use it but the colours are the full rainbow spectrum. Also right now I only have access to 3 brightness levels not including off. The wrist rest is a 'tad too small, would have preferred it to be 0.5cm longer, but I have above average hands. I will write a full member review once the drivers for the keyboard come out because it's unfair to review it without being able to try out its biggest feature. So the only permanent issue that I would have with this keyboard is the spacebar; it isn't bad, but they mounted it with the wire instead of what Ducky do with two fake switches on the side to stabilize it so it doesn't feel as firm as I would like it.

As mentioned before wait until I write the full review for it before purchasing. Once the full drivers come out give me a day to play around with it.

TL; DR: It's too early to judge.

Does it come with the textured wasd and number keycaps like the original k70?? I really like those keycaps.

Does it come with the textured wasd and number keycaps like the original k70?? I really like those keycaps.

No.

No.

Well I figure there's no point in including them since red is no longer their only led color. Might try to find someone who sells them.

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know if Linus is planing on reviewing the K70 RGB / K95 RGB upon their release or soon after? I would hope so considering we've seen 2 videos on it from CES / PAX before the release :)

Honestly, I dont know what to think. I dont doubt it because of how nice it is but than again i am not sure because he might not be interested enough unles Corsair really wants him too

@LinusTech

Any input?

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Honestly, I dont know what to think. I dont doubt it because of how nice it is but than again i am not sure because he might not be interested enough unles Corsair really wants him too

@LinusTech

Any input?

That's what I was thinking. I mean he's already put out 2 videos on it, and it hasn't even been released yet, so it seems like he's interested. At the same time, he's already reviewed the K70 and the K95 already, so it would be a pretty similar review except for the presence of the RGB lighting.

-Abraham Lincoln 

Already have a Dead LED :/

Gonna wait till the software comes out before I RMA it.

post-91196-0-21331800-1409926624_thumb.j

Ouch thats some bad luck they said they fixed that problem by moving the led into the switches instead of how the others were getting shorted out by pushing them down

What?????

Gah! That's so frustrating. :o:(  :angry:  

Wait, there are a ton of dead LED complaints on the corsair forums about the older K70.

Wait, there are a ton of dead LED complaints on the corsair forums about the older K70.

If you watch Linus' video about the keyboard he mentions that these LEDs are mounted differently (inside the switch instead of on the PCB). He says this will dramatically reduce the amount of dead LEDs. I guess we will have to wait and see though. I think Phasor just had some bad luck.

-Abraham Lincoln 

oh no...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

If you watch Linus' video about the keyboard he mentions that these LEDs are mounted differently (inside the switch instead of on the PCB). He says this will dramatically reduce the amount of dead LEDs. I guess we will have to wait and see though. I think Phasor just had some bad luck.

I  haven't had any dead LED's yet, just the a wire breaking inside the cable despite only having it loosely wrapped around the keyboard for a couple weeks.

it still works so long as the cable is laying flat otherwise the keyboard turns off.

The Corsair forums has dozens of of people complaining that LED's are dropping like flies 2-3 months after buying it.

I'm not touching another Corsair until I see what happens on the forum 6 months after the full release.

Man, I was all ready to sell my current K70 and buy the RGB K70 when it was announced at CES this year.  Then, I saw the Red/Black H440 at my local computer store and bought that on the spot.  Now, I have a nice red setup going and the RGB K70 is pointless for me now, lol

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I preordered mine. Going to my my first mech keyboard. Can't wait!

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I'm super excited for this release! A little sad that Corsair is only releasing it with MX Reds at the moment though... I really like my brown switches ;)

-Abraham Lincoln 

I'm super excited for this release! A little sad that Corsair is only releasing it with MX Reds at the moment though... I really like my brown switches ;)

I'm waiting for browns as well, my first mech. keyboard. I'm checking newegg/amazon almost every other day for pre-order availability.