Corsair RGB K70...Yay or Nay?...looking for opinions.

equippedbum
Go to solution Solved by equippedbum,

I'd say wait. It's not far off. And it'll be important to know if it'll have the same problem as the standard K70 did, which was LEDs dying after a few months.

Yeah...I'm gonna wait for a few firsthand reviews before I buy.

Already have a Dead LED :/

Gonna wait till the software comes out before I RMA it.

Ugh you kinda make me not wanne preorder the keyboard now, it was supposed to be my first mechanical keyboard :(

Did it arrive with a dead led or did the led die on you in the short period you had it?

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Phasor, did you update the firmware and download the software yet? It's unlikely that it is a dead LED but rather just one that is off. I'd like to see if that is the case once you're up and running.

Phasor, did you update the firmware and download the software yet? It's unlikely that it is a dead LED but rather just one that is off. I'd like to see if that is the case once you're up and running.

I would like to find this out too simply cause im stoked on the release of the KB (waiting on blues) but hearing this news scares me.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

No more dead LED started working after the firmware upgrade :)

Phew! That's a relief to hear. Happy it wasn't a hardware issue :)

@Nexxus looks like you're in the clear! :D

Edited by PiercingGoblin
"Never trust the authenticity of a quote on the internet."

-Abraham Lincoln 

Thankfully lol I was just dreading the scenario of wide spread LED failure on these things. while I knew the design was updated the old issues still had me worried and while a dead LED would suck on the old nonRGB KBs it would of been crippling on the RGB.

Now if only NCIX would put the blues up for preorder :(

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just ordered this. There's not really any reviews out yet so I'll test my luck and keep y'all updated

you guys are fear mongering me a little lol, i'm starting to get slight buyer's remorse on my pre-order which should come today.

Hello all,

I'm somewhat new here :) This keyboard is definitely high on my list. I've never used a mech keyboard before, contemplating getting the red or waiting for a blue. Could the blue be months off or a few more days, what do you all think(Maybe based on the past)?

Hello all,

I'm somewhat new here :) This keyboard is definitely high on my list. I've never used a mech keyboard before, contemplating getting the red or waiting for a blue. Could the blue be months off or a few more days, what do you all think(Maybe based on the past)?

Thats an impossible question to answer, its 100% preference on key feel, one isn't better then the other. ( ok technically reds should last longer but blues are still rated to last for over 20,000,000 key strokes)

I personally hate reds, they are way to light and frankly I would rather have a membrane kb then reds.

Some find the bump and "click" of blues to be satisfying.

The only way you will know for sure is to use both, go to a local large comp parts retailer and try them find a k75 that is advertised as having reds (most do from what I found) and test the key switch out. Then find one with blues and try that, and idelly if you can find one with browns and check that out too.

Based on the last time I looked at the release info the blues were set to launch a month later then the reds, but the while 75/90 RGB line got pushed back a month, I havent found any updated info as to when the exact release date is for either reds blues browns or the k95.

System Specs

Hello all,

Not sure what you mean with your question but the release date of the Blue's and Browns will probably be at the end of this month or beginning of next month (original release date had one month between the red switches and the blue/brown ones.)

And if you're wondering what switches.. go to a store where they sell mech keyboards and see if you can try some out (on showroom models, here in Belgium & Holland we've got some stores that do that.)

Hello Nexxus,

Thanks for the response. I went to Tigerdirect, which is the only computer store I know of. 99% of everything was boxed so I couldn't touch it. Maybe I should have asked them to take the keyboards out haha. I wish there were a better location for this sort of thing :/. I guess I'll be waiting for awhile, rats!

Hello Nexxus,

Thanks for the response. I went to Tigerdirect, which is the only computer store I know of. 99% of everything was boxed so I couldn't touch it. Maybe I should have asked them to take the keyboards out haha. I wish there were a better location for this sort of thing :/. I guess I'll be waiting for awhile, rats!

You can always ask if they have a demo, and some boxes have cut outs for you to try a single key, check things like futureshop or best buy too. Ultimately I dunno what's avlible where you live Im in Toronto and NCIX, and Canada Computers are both very large chains usually with large locations and they can afford to set out demo units for people to check out.

Another option is to order a key switch sampler, its just a piece of plastic with  various key switch types mounted to it so you can see your preference, here is a few that I know of.

http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/shop/switch-testers/qwer8-v2-mx-switch-testing-kit/

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-pro-sampler-tester-kit.html

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/sampler-kit/wasd-sampler-kit.html

http://www.mechkb.com/deck-cherry-mx-sampler (cheapest I found)

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-demo-board/

System Specs

I'd say wait. It's not far off. And it'll be important to know if it'll have the same problem as the standard K70 did, which was LEDs dying after a few months.

Wait, seriously? Then why the hell are people harping on about faulty Blackwidows in the MX RGB vs. BW Chroma threads popping up on here atm? If both apparently have the same track record for faults

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Wait, seriously? Then why the hell are people harping on about faulty Blackwidows in the MX RGB vs. BW Chroma threads popping up on here atm? If both apparently have the same track record for faults

Apparently the k70s were the worst for dying LEDs too I never heard anyone criticize other KBs for the issue, only the corsairs. 

Thought crossed my mind, are all the keys mechanical in this? I recalled it was either the k70 or 95, not all the keys were mechanical.

System Specs

Hello Nexxus,

Someone mentioned that to me in my thread. I never knew those existed. I might give them a shot for sure.Thank you!! ----I wish we had more chains, we have best buys and a tiger direct, but not much to test in there unfortunately -_-

you guys are fear mongering me a little lol, i'm starting to get slight buyer's remorse on my pre-order which should come today.

don't regret it...i've had mine since tues. and it's AWESOME!...the only thing that bugs me a bit is the software isn't very easy to use. (or i might just be super stupid?)

Apparently the k70s were the worst for dying LEDs too I never heard anyone criticize other KBs for the issue, only the corsairs. 

Thought crossed my mind, are all the keys mechanical in this? I recalled it was either the k70 or 95, not all the keys were mechanical.

I believe the k65 is the one where not all keys are mechanical.

K90 didn't have all keys mechanical (I can remember Linus saying that in the G710+ review during a comparison between both). Not sure about the K65 though.

profile switching
So awesome!! I love the default theme you've got going on as well.