GPU Usage Constant Spikes, Up/Down, Nonstop, All Day

kingofmycity239
Hello,

I'm am have a issue with my GPU usage constantly spiking all day, almost non stop Up/Down (See Picture). i just wanted to know, is this normal? i'm seeing these spikes in MSI Afterburner and when i got check Process Explorer it shows me only using 1-4% GPU usage. Which one should i believe? I've also used GPU-Z and i do see some spikes but not as much as i see in MIS Afterburner.  I just got this Asus R9 280 (Non-X) OC DirectCU II and a Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU two weeks ago. Is it hardware related? I've found alot of help on here just by looking through post and since i couldn't find exactly what my problem was i thought i would ask you great people. Thanks in advance

~INFO ( I know, It's Bad but i'm working on it part by part lol)~

Intel i7 860 2.80 GHz (Stock)

Stock Dell 8700 series Motherboard

Stock Dell 8GB DDR3 Ram

Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU (Non 80Plus)

ASUS DirectCU II OC R9 280 (Non-X)- Stock

WD Black 1 TB HDD

~See better picture in post #10~

XJINEp.jpg

Try upping the power limit to +20%. That fixed this issue for my HD7870XT.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Try upping the power limit to +20%. That fixed this issue for my HD7870XT.

Thank for the quick responds. I have and still no difference. I do see that usually fixes GPU usage dropping low  during playing games. Mines the opposite of that though.

Might be a problem with your drivers. Have you tried reinstalling them? Could help.

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

take a screenshot of your screen instead of a photo. I can't see any of those numbers...

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

if your GPU is OC in any way revert back to stock

also reinstall the drivers and use only 14.4 version

disable any hardware acceleration for adobe flash and any programs

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Use malwarebytes to scan your PC.

Use ESET FREE online scanner.

Use CCleaner to clean up junk. 

Reboot, if its still doing that you may have a larger issue.

I suggest you check all running programs, startups and installed programs.

Sorry if this does not help you.

blackshades on

Might be a problem with your drivers. Have you tried reinstalling them? Could help.

Tried 3 times, still nothing. Thanks

if your GPU is OC in any way revert back to stock

also reinstall the drivers and use only 14.4 version

disable any hardware acceleration for adobe flash and any programs

I've done all this too and still the same

here a new and better pic of whats going on.... Still have no clue what doing this. That was on idel and when i moved the mouse all activity stopped. Any other ideas? Maybe a Bitcoin virus i've heard about that only turns on after 2 minutes of inactivity. Cant find anything through 5 different virus scanning apps... CLICK THE IMAGE TO SEE THE FULL PICTURE. Sorry the pic is so big. i New to posting on forums

Also Process Explore keeps freezing on me so i couldn't change anything it said but it did update right before i took the screenshot

post-91418-0-55665000-1409009101_thumb.p

here a new and better pic of whats going on.... Still have no clue what doing this. That was on idel and when i moved the mouse all activity stopped. Any other ideas? Maybe a Bitcoin virus i've heard about that only turns on after 2 minutes of inactivity. Cant find anything through 5 different virus scanning apps... CLICK THE IMAGE TO SEE THE FULL PICTURE. Sorry the pic is so big. i New to posting on forums

Also Process Explore keeps freezing on me so i couldn't change anything it said but it did update right before i took the screenshot

scan your computer for any mining virus

they are known to hold your GPU hostage and run a mining script

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

W0093RU_16616-2.jpg

With that PSU you aren't getting anywhere, it's just garbage and it's just a 350W psu.

W0093RU_16616-2.jpg

With that PSU you aren't getting anywhere, it's just garbage and it's just a 350W psu.

but it brand new PSU he bought 2 weeks ago o.0

and he mentioned this behavior happens all day

but it brand new PSU he bought 2 weeks ago o.0

and he mentioned this behavior happens all day

Does this happen even at idle? If yes could be that MSI Afterburner is just reporting wrong, let him use GPU-z instead.

Has to be the PSU. Not really a good quality psu for that card. Not enough amps. have you tried playing any games?

scan your computer for any mining virus

they are known to hold your GPU hostage and run a mining script

how would i scan for that. just a anti-virus software? cause i couldnt find one for coin minning.

Does this happen even at idle? If yes could be that MSI Afterburner is just reporting wrong, let him use GPU-z instead.

Yes it does on idle. Asus Tweak is saying the same thing Afterburner is saying too

Has to be the PSU. Not really a good quality psu for that card. Not enough amps. have you tried playing any games?

I do understand the PSU is Crap (Didnt know til after i bought it) but it is new and the PSU fan is blowing cool air. Games have been playing good, I think.  TombR- Ultra over 60 FPS, Dirt 3- Ultra 110 FPS, NBA 2k14 120 FPS. All games seem to run just fine. As i'm writing this Gpu usage is going from 0-87 every 3-5 seconds but i can't get Process Explorer open to show y'all whats using the GPU but i will say that i dont think PE is working for me cause i look at it and see nothing using the GPU when i get the spikes.

how would i scan for that. just a anti-virus software? cause i couldnt find one for coin minning.

something like malwarebytes

if possible disconnect from the internet and see if the spikes stops

the last resort is to reformat the PC

if that dont help

time to swap the PSU

something like malwarebytes

if possible disconnect from the internet and see if the spikes stops

the last resort is to reformat the PC

if that dont help

time to swap the PSU

I'm gonna do what you said when i get home to see. just one question. if it is the PSU, why would it make my GPU usage spike like in the picture? 

I'm gonna do what you said when i get home to see. just one question. if it is the PSU, why would it make my GPU usage spike like in the picture? 

not sure myself :/

i'm new so i don't know what everything means but it seems to show the same usage as Afterburner. What do you think?.... Sorry for the late post, i've been working crazy hours. Thanks

post-91418-0-42465800-1409278377_thumb.p

i'm new so i don't know what everything means but it seems to show the same usage as Afterburner. What do you think?.... Sorry for the late post, i've been working crazy hours. Thanks

Hmm the GPU usages reading are wrong, if that spikes up to 80% load the clock should raise as well but that's not happening and I'm not seeing the fans ramping up or the temps.

Hmm the GPU usages reading are wrong, if that spikes up to 80% load the clock should raise as well but that's not happening and I'm not seeing the fans ramping up or the temps.

yup nothing else moves. weird huh? i think ill try to reformat my PC and see if that stops it.