Xbox One finally being released in Denmark, so I wonder...

TheArium

Guess what's finally coming out in Denmark on September 5th! Yup, the Xbox One... Finally!

We are tech enthusiasts so to us, specs and numbers matter. So I've been sitting for almost a year reading about how people were disappointed that the Xbox One runs at 720p and not 1080p (and how many fps?)

What I would like to ask is, to the untrained eye does it really make that much of a difference? Do we want 1080p because anything else is unacceptable to look at or because it's a nice number to check off in the specs sheet?

PC's are more powerful but also mere expensive. With a console you are guaranteed an optimized experience for years to come. Heck, I've had a Xbox 360 since 2006 iirc, and the first time I started to notice its shortcomings was when Battlefield 3 multiplayer was downscaled.

So, all things considered aren't the new consoles, both the Xbox One and the PS 4, a pretty good deal? Or will they eventually prove to be no more future proof than 500 USD PC?

Actually, my biggest problem with consoles is that multiplayer is locked behind a paywall. Whoever got that idea should be placed on a rocket ship to the sun because it's and abomination and it forces people to pay for features that should have been included already. Much like DLC's before a game has even launched (and many DLC's in general).

Anyway, I'm wandering from the point. What is the objective, non-biased situation with these consoles? Are they as bad as the tech enthusiasts would like us to believe, or do they actually deliver a beautiful, optimized, smooth, worry free gaming experience for years to come?

Xbox One ships for ~568USD with Forza 5, Fifa 15 and no Kinect.

-snip-

They provide a decent upgrade over previous gen, but most importantly, convenience.

Every other aspect they fall short on imo.

And having played Killzone:whatever on my friend's ps4, I can still say that I began disliking it a lot sooner than I was hoping. Because I was enjoying games on my xbox 360...until I decided to revive my dektop.

Low res textures, texture pop-ins, low polygons, terrible water effects...it all grew on me very quickly

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

So is the experience bad or just naturally worse than a 7000$ pc? I mean, is it on line with today's pc gaming, not in terms of specs, but in terms of looks and feel?

So is the experience bad or just naturally worse than a 7000$ pc? I mean, is it on line with today's pc gaming, not in terms of specs, but in terms of looks and feel?

even compared to a $700 pc the consoles are not in line in terms of look and feel.

BUT that's not to say it's enjoyable. It still can be a nice experience if you take it for what it is and not compare it to pc.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

If you're enjoying playing the games on the console and not constantly comparing to the other or PC's then your going to have a good time.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

even compared to a $700 pc the consoles are not in line in terms of look and feel.

BUT that's not to say it's enjoyable. It still can be a nice experience if you take it for what it is and not compare it to pc.

So already, the Xbox One and PS4 games by design have less eye candy than their PC counterparts due to inferior hardware? I would have guessed  the unparalleled software optimization on the consoles would help make up for this.

I ordered mine today (380€ + a free second controller) for Halo 2 Anniversary (1080/60) and Horizon 2 (1080/30), I'll still play most multiplats on PC (except the Uplay crap) though. There are some PS4 exclusives that will make upcoming PC games look really outdated (example: Driveclub - I've seen it and daaaaamn, the foliage and realtime GI make it look pretty nice).

If you are starving for some of the exclusives you should definivitely go for either of the machines.

By the way: fun > graphics

144Hz goodness

If you are starving for some of the exclusives you should definivitely go for either of the machines.

By the way: fun > graphics

I guess that pretty much sums up the deal with either console.  ;)

Remember that Slick couldn't underclock his 5 year old GPU enough to be as slow as a "next gen" console which would definitely mean that next-gen consoles are not "on line" or rather, on par with a $700 PC. Let alone a $500 PC. Also, remember that next-gen consoles are only cheaper because they are being sold at huge losses and the money is made back with overpriced and inferior games and ridiculous subscriptions for multiplayer games.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I bought an Xbox One, thought I would give console gaming a go, and no. The experience is no-where near as good as having a monitor at 1080p, better graphics, and it is in my view not worth the money.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

There are some PS4 exclusives that will make upcoming PC games look really outdated (example: Driveclub - I've seen it and daaaaamn, the foliage and realtime GI make it look pretty nice).

Except for project cars, that game is insane with the graphics all the way up. But driveclub will be far more user friendly than Pcars, as you WILL need a wheel for the latter. Even then, the handling isn't that great in Pcars. Well, in my opinion anyway. I have been playing it for a long time, as I participated in the original crowdfunding drive. It is horrid on a normal controller (even right now, and so close to final release also), and isn't much better on a wheel. I have played it with both input devices.

It is good the X1 is finally releasing in more places, that is one of the biggest reason there is such a big difference in X1/PS4 sales. Not to mention the fact the PS4 is more powerful than the X1, and cheaper. So that will sway a fair few console gamers away from the X1. But the xbox one is far from bad, in the usability sense anyway. The online aspects are still better than Sony's offering, and better than they used to be on the 360. Mainly because the gold pay wall for things like netflix has been recently removed. But the X1 still lacks with regards to "games for gold", as the PSN offers more for your money in that regard. Both consoles are more underpowered than they needed to be however, and both Microsoft and Sony should have gone with custom hardware and architecture again. Using such outdated hardware designed for pcs and mobile devices is a big hindrance to their performance. As for paying to play online, that unfortunately is the only real issue with playing online on the PS4/X1. I have been gaming online vai xbox live since it released however, and I personally have never taken issue to paying to play online. Not even when the PS3 was free to play online. And I have almost always had a gaming capable pc as well. Both Sony and Microsoft need to subsidise the cost of their servers, because the upkeep for them will require crazy amounts of money. Sure Microsoft have that cash to burn, but Sony doesn't. Even then, it would eventually put a strain on Microsofts resources if they ditched the gold subscription. However, there are ways to get the subscriptions cheaper. Amazon often have some good deals on PS+ and live gold, and it is always better (and cheaper) to buy a full year at a time. Sometimes Sony/Microsoft will give an extra month or two on top of 12 months you pay for. For example, I can currently get a 12 month digital code from Amazon (sold by Amazon themselves), for £27.85. Or a physical code card sent through the post for £30. A year of xbox live gold direct from Microsoft, is £39.99.

I would like to point out here that I am not been a fangirl towards pc here (or any other platform), I have an xbox one, and I enjoy playing games on it. I mainly have it for Forza, which is a game I just cant see being released on the pc; and it happens to be my favourite racing game series on consoles. I will also be buying the master chief collection for it, as well as Halo 5. The next tomb raider will also be a purchase, but mainly out of necessity in that games case. I would have much preferred that one on pc.

Really you just need to decide for yourself though. People on the internet can tell you how bad something is, or even how great it is. It doesn't mean you will share those peoples experiences. I don't personally regret buying my xbox one, but it serves the purpose I bought it for. You might absolutly love the xbox one (or PS4), you may hate it. But that is for you to decide for yourself.

Except for project cars, that game is insane with the graphics all the way up. But driveclub will be far more user friendly than Pcars, as you WILL need a wheel for the latter. Even then, the handling isn't that great in Pcars. Well, in my opinion anyway. I have been playing it for a long time, as I participated in the original crowdfunding drive. It is horrid on a normal controller (even right now, and so close to final release also), and isn't much better on a wheel. I have played it with both input devices.

The lighting, object pop-in (the power of optimization) and foliage in pCARS is a joke, though all of the driving games have their downsides. Gran Turismo has phenomenal physics but cars sound like flying turds, Driveclub is limited to 12 players on the track and runs at 30FPS, Forza 5 (Horizon 30FPS) doesn't have good lighting either and the steering angle is tied to the car speed. None of these games allow the player to properly wreck his car which is a huge downside in my opinion.

144Hz goodness

. I mainly have it for Forza, which is a game I just cant see being released on the pc; and it happens to be my favourite racing game series on consoles.

And here is my biggest problem

Here we have the PC with incredible power and flexibility.

Still, if you want to play a game that is not too simulatorish (Eg you cannot afford a £300 steering wheel and countless hours to became a good driver) neither too aracedish (Nfs, and sadly grid 2), and if I want to add my favourite type, the MMOR with previous set, then you are pretty much have Grid, some Race:WTCC games ( they are simulator but they are fun), Test Drive Unlimited 1 (I am not sold on 2, the controls are interesting at least). Whereas I played loads loads hours on Horizon ( and TDU back then) doing nothing, just cruising

To be honest, I got a PS4, it was £350, and it will still run games fluently in 5 years. If I had spent that money on a PC (even if I spent more, say £500) then in 5 years it would not be as good as the PS4 is then. I think the consoles offer a great value proposition with a few caveats:

1. If you're not a huge gamer and you only play a few games per year - why? It's not worth spending hundreds more on building and upgrading PCs every couple of years for just a few games, despite said games being cheaper on PC

2. If you want something that'll run in your living room. PS4 is great for that since it doubles up as a blu-ray player, and is better for multiplayer games. Mines is currently used in my flat living room for pretty much nothing but Fifa.

3. You can't be arsed with the building/upgrading/tweaking of settings and you just want to shove the disc in and play.

To be honest, I got a PS4, it was £350, and it will still run games fluently in 5 years. If I had spent that money on a PC (even if I spent more, say £500) then in 5 years it would not be as good as the PS4 is then. I think the consoles offer a great value proposition with a few caveats:

1. If you're not a huge gamer and you only play a few games per year - why? It's not worth spending hundreds more on building and upgrading PCs every couple of years for just a few games, despite said games being cheaper on PC

2. If you want something that'll run in your living room. PS4 is great for that since it doubles up as a blu-ray player, and is better for multiplayer games. Mines is currently used in my flat living room for pretty much nothing but Fifa.

3. You can't be arsed with the building/upgrading/tweaking of settings and you just want to shove the disc in and play.

Those are some good points that many techies completely ignore in the pseudo-religious flaming war regarding how much consoles suck. Sad thing is the other site of the spectrum is just as bad.

Generally, consoles are very convenient. Regarding PC's, it either has to be somewhat of a hobby or you have to pay someone to build it for you. That is an extra expense.