are 3d printers worth it right now?

farhanorakzai

They look cool. But for right now I think I might wait and see how much more advanced they can try to get them

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I really hate how people keep saying "wait a few years, the tech will get better". Obviously it will get better, but it will be at least 10+ years before we get a consumer printer that can do something like the expensive stratasys machines can do. The way most hobbyist 3d printers work has not changed for a very long time, and i am talking 20+years. The technology is nothing new, it is only more recently that we have had things like arduino pop up everywhere which is what makes 3d printers much more accessible now because of the cheap processing power. Right now i believe is one of the best times to get on board because of all the affordable options there are that can get very high quality prints. Personally, i have a rostock max v2 which has been amazing.   http://seemecnc.com/products/rostock-max-complete-kit

and some things i have printed with it

temporary-27.jpg

temporary-21.jpg

temporary-20.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Watch Barnacules Nerdgasm's youtube channel and see what you can do with a 3D printer.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

at one point, your are gonna spend more on your 3d printing supplies than the 3d printer. I would wait for the 3d printing supplies to get cheaper first then buy a good printer.

At one point, that's true about everything that uses consumables.

Just browsing one site a 1kg spool of filament  was anywhere from $29 - $45.

1KG is a lot. That's two pounds. Printing nothing but hollow plastic trinkets that would last you at least a year.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

At one point, that's true about everything that uses consumables.

1KG is a lot. That's two pounds. Printing nothing but hollow plastic trinkets that would last you at least a year.

yep, I have about 13 days of combined print time and have yet to finish a roll

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

yep, I have about 13 days of combined print time and have yet to finish a roll

It's much more than one might imagine.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /