Computer Science or Software Engineering?

At a crossroad and the decision is not very easy for me at the moment so please help me out with a little advice only if you have any that can help me make an objective decision. Not sure which major to pursue in college as both are appealing to me at the moment.

Loves PC Games :D

I am fully aware of that and have already talked to a few lecturers and i just wanted the general perception of others not necessarily a final answer

Loves PC Games :D

Software engineering and developing it's what I went for, at least on my region it's what gets you a job, you end up developing software and directing projects on big companies, Computer science is a middle-ground between all software and system areas, it will score you many different jobs but it's really up to you to 'major' yourself into the actually used branches of it, and not get eaten outside once you hit the road looking for a proper job.

In the real world, from what I've found, the title on your degree means absolutely dick.

Your experience, knowledge, and work ethic trump all.  At least it is at any company I would want to work for.  If they hire only based on where you got your degree from, or what's wrote on that piece of paper, beware.

Take either it won't matter for the most part.  Make sure you know your shit and work hard.  Take every opportunity to learn something new that presents itself.

At a crossroad and the decision is not very easy for me at the moment so please help me out with a little advice only if you have any that can help me make an objective decision. Not sure which major to pursue in college as both are appealing to me at the moment.

In the real world, from what I've found, the title on your degree means absolutely dick.

Your experience, knowledge, and work ethic trump all.  At least it is at any company I would want to work for.  If they hire only based on where you got your degree from, or what's wrote on that piece of paper, beware.

Take either it won't matter for the most part.  Make sure you know your shit and work hard.  Take every opportunity to learn something new that presents itself.

Listen to this fellow.

I, for example, got degree in "Computer networks and systems engineering" but in the end I'm a software engineer. Got into software thing with my buddies help in half a year and just didn't stop learning something new in that field.

I'm not quite sure about scientific career tho. Anyone?

Your experience, knowledge, and work ethic trump all. At least it is at any company I would want to work for. If they hire only based on where you got your degree from, or what's wrote on that piece of paper, beware.

Take either it won't matter for the most part. Make sure you know your shit and work hard. Take every opportunity to learn something new that presents itself.

This is very true. I've worked with people who have no degrees at all, some of which own their own software company/are in higher positions than I currently am. I've learned a great deal from these individuals and have a lot of respect for their capabilities and disposition. I've also worked with people who have had very high academic qualifications but were completely incompetent, careless, crap or a combination thereof.

As long as there's sufficient accomplishments/experience on the CV we tend not to care really. A point worth mentioning is that it can be irritating when dealing with agencies sometimes as they tend to box you based on the kind of things/trends appearing in your CV.

Another caveat I have experienced over the years from place to place is the title of Software Engineer vs Software Developer. This is irritating because at times one can be seen to be transitory between them. On the whole there's a great deal of debate saying that it doesn't really matter. I've even worked in places where it's seen as not mattering. These places were however predominately desktop development based or higher level software focused. In stark contrast the place I work at for the time being, being lower level focused, says that there is a distinction. They see a Software Developer as a developer who predominantly writes software for the higher levels. While the Software Engineer focuses on the more lower level stuff. Indeed over the years my job title has changed quite a number of times between the two!

As for addressing the chose you face, I haven't voted. This is because I did my first degree in Software Engineering but am now pursuing my higher degrees in Computer Science. For me I see it something like this: The Software Engineer is the person who constructs a thing from given materials following known and established methodologies. Contrasted to the Computer Scientist as being the one who develops/finds new materials and establishes new methodologies. My choice is based on me personally wanting to go deeper, I'm obsessed with knowledge and power!

My point: do the one that you think you will enjoy the most and that will help lead you to the career which you will be the happiest in.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Computer science focuses more on mathematics and theories. Software engineering focuses more on the development aspect. It really depends how you learn stuff. I chose computer science because I need to understand the main theories and concepts first before going on any further with practical work, but others learn in complete opposite way, which is also acceptable.

Computer Science is more interesting, as you develop the tools necessary (algorithms, etc) for Software Engineers to use to make something useful (programs, user interfaces). 

They're not completely separate though, as you'll learn concepts from both sides. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Personally I'll do software engineering, in my country it opens more doors and it teaches you a bit of everything.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There is a very good writeup on:

http://www.davidbudden.com/degrees-demystified-1/

http://www.cs.concordia.ca/prospectivestudents/softwareengineeringvscomputerscience/

that explains the difference, but as EchoRomeoCharlie pointed out, in reality your degree means nothing*.

*The fact that you have one, and are applying to a related field is realistically good enough (depending on which position/company you apply for).

You'd have to tell us more about what you're interested in, and what kind of things you want to do for your career if you'd want a more detailed answer, but for choosing:

- If you want to design programming languages, and compilers go for Computer Science.

- If you want to design beautiful software that complies with best practices, go for Software Engineering.

Just make sure you're not picking a College/ University based on the degree name; look at the curriculum and make sure it's things that interest you. If you have certain Colleges or Universities in mind, you can see what kind of overlap the two programs have with one another. Many times, they will have some overlap in the early years which will allow you to switch between Majors if you realize you made the wrong choice. You can also go and talk to some of the professors or deans to figure out what their focus will be in the education to see if that's something that interests you.

Most importantly, have fun.

-robodude666

I voted for software engineering but that is because I want to be a game developer in the long term. Computer science is also a fantastic choice. Sorry Im not being very helpful but im not sure what you want to do after you get your degree.