AMD fanboys: Help me decide between these AMD graphics cards?

So which of the already mentioned cards 290 or 290X have the best cooling performance out of the box?

I'll need to rely on the stock coolers for some time. Or unless I can muster the balls to trust myself to not kill the electronics with a leaking rad :P

i think its because the uk doesn't have as much of a computer-building-enthusiast community. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. lol

Is it possible to get that card in black or red? :P

They used to be available in black (my IceQ X2 280X, same cooler, is black) but for some reason they changed it to gold. Awkward for me cause I would love a gold version instead of my black one, but many people buying cards now want a black one. Ugh

i'm assuming 290X is better than 290 correct?

Technically yes. They are the same thing but the 290's are clocked lower and are binned chips (don't OC as well), just like the 8320 vs 3250

"Rawr XD"

No, the 780 is better then a 290, it's the 290x that's a little bit better then the 780.

Depends on the situation. In many games at 1080p the 780 will be better, but at 1440p the 290 will pull ahead.

"Rawr XD"

i heard my name and came . . .

before i start mantle isn't to much of a big deal especially since you have an i5, mantle mainly helps in lower end CPU build with large GPUs.  so do not buy for mantel. 

i would also tell you not to buy for PhysX on Nvidia, few games use it and it doesn't add to much to the experience. 

1. i do not know much about manufactures and their warranties as concerning water cooling.  although from what i have heard that as long as you return a broken gpu to them with the original heatsink on it they do not mind, but then again that is what i heard. 

but if you are planning on doing water cooling i would look at a GPU that comes with a water block installed already <LINK> they are a little more expensive then just the GPU, but cheaper when you consider it also has the $100 USD waterblock attached already. 

2. a single of the Linked GPU or any non-reference* R9 290 would keep almost every game at high or ultra on 1080p and 1440p @60hz no problem, it also supports AMD's FreeSync (which requires a specific monitor available early 2015)  and 2 of them would get you ready for 4k gaming at high but i would recommend to wait for a FreeSync monitor for 4k. 

2.1  the GTX770 performs right with the R9 280x, but the R9 290 does better than both (and a little better than a GTX 780) and it is also right at £299.15+ so i would choose that

3. refer to 2.1 it is the same price and sets you up for a good 4k gaming build in the future. 

if you want to dive a little bit in to the numbers of GPU performance take a look at my spreadsheet i made from a bunch of reviews

* Reference cards have a single fan and are loud and actually perform less then non-reference cards because the heatsink is not as good on them.  they look like this

non reference cards have multiple fans on them (or a waterblock) similar to this one and it is £299.15

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

Though honestly I'm more interested in http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290xenfc

It has an X in front of it, you see? :D

Are these AMD cards likely to overheat in a slightly air-starved case?

That one will be like a hairdryer unless you take the cooler off and watercool it.

The Sapphire R9 290/X Vapor-X has the best cooler out of the box.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-344-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-351-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

Not sure about warranties and all that, but for the most bang for your buck, and if you'll be using the horsepower I'd go with the r9 290. I was on the verge of getting it but even the r9 280x is over my current needs so I'm gonna settle for the 280x for "futureproofing". In anycase, I run my parts to the ground, so not to worried about wasting my money.

That one will be like a hairdryer unless you take the cooler off and watercool it.

The Sapphire R9 290/X Vapor-X has the best cooler out of the box.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-344-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-351-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

It wouldn't fit my red and black build. Nice cooler though

If you're watercooling it and you still want warranty, you should go with the Asus DC2 290 because they don't use any stickers so they can't notice that you took the cooler off. It's just 4 screws and install the waterblock

i heard my name and came . . .

before i start mantle isn't to much of a big deal especially since you have an i5, mantle mainly helps in lower end CPU build with large GPUs.  so do not buy for mantel. 

i would also tell you not to buy for PhysX on Nvidia, few games use it and it doesn't add to much to the experience. 

1. i do not know much about manufactures and their warranties as concerning water cooling.  although from what i have heard that as long as you return a broken gpu to them with the original heatsink on it they do not mind, but then again that is what i heard. 

but if you are planning on doing water cooling i would look at a GPU that comes with a water block installed already <LINK> they are a little more expensive then just the GPU, but cheaper when you consider it also has the $100 USD waterblock attached already. 

2. a single of the Linked GPU or any non-reference* R9 290 would keep almost every game at high or ultra on 1080p and 1440p @60hz no problem, it also supports AMD's FreeSync (which requires a specific monitor available early 2015)  and 2 of them would get you ready for 4k gaming at high but i would recommend to wait for a FreeSync monitor for 4k. 

2.1  the GTX770 performs right with the R9 280x, but the R9 290 does better than both (and a little better than a GTX 780) and it is also right at £299.15+ so i would choose that

3. refer to 2.1 it is the same price and sets you up for a good 4k gaming build in the future. 

if you want to dive a little bit in to the numbers of GPU performance take a look at my spreadsheet i made from a bunch of reviews

* Reference cards have a single fan and are loud and actually perform less then non-reference cards because the heatsink is not as good on them.  they look like this

non reference cards have multiple fans on them (or a waterblock) similar to this one and it is £299.15

1) Unfortunately I most likely won't be making an open loop - never done it. Never even built a pc. So I'm going for an easier build with a kraken g10 - watercooling with that would be easier, and I wouldn't risk a leaking rad because of me forgetting to tighten everything properly. I'll look at some  tutorials on how open loops are made and if it's easy I'll do it and consider buying a gpu with a water block installed. If you think it's easy to build an open loop or have some watercooling tips for me, to make it easier, feel free to give whatever tips you can ;)

I'm going to see if I can try watercooling the http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290xenfc without voiding warranty, since several people have said XFX are more open with warranties.

So which of the already mentioned cards 290 or 290X have the best cooling performance out of the box?

I'll need to rely on the stock coolers for some time. Or unless I can muster the balls to trust myself to not kill the electronics with a leaking rad :P

PCS+ and tri-X are tied for second best 290 behind the Vapour-X, which is also a fair bit more expensive, but if you're not buying until later this year then maybe see and wait what comes up over the next month or two first.

A 290 Tri or Vapor X.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

PCS+ and tri-X are tied for second best 290 behind the Vapour-X, which is also a fair bit more expensive, but if you're not buying until later this year then maybe see and wait what comes up over the next month or two first.

hmm makes sense

1) Unfortunately I most likely won't be making an open loop - never done it. Never even built a pc. So I'm going for an easier build with a kraken g10 - watercooling with that would be easier, and I wouldn't risk a leaking rad because of me forgetting to tighten everything properly. I'll look at some  tutorials on how open loops are made and if it's easy I'll do it and consider buying a gpu with a water block installed. If you think it's easy to build an open loop or have some watercooling tips for me, to make it easier, feel free to give whatever tips you can ;)

I'm going to see if I can try watercooling the http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290xenfc without voiding warranty, since several people have said XFX are more open with warranties.

i would not do the Kraken G10 (also Corsiar is working on one that works better because it actually cools the voltage delivery, but i do not know when it is coming out).  the Kraken G10 would be if you got a Reference GPU, which run very hot and are loud.  any of the non reference designs would do the same as a G10, and possibly better. 

the G10 only uses a fan to cool the voltage regulation and memory.  were non reference cooler would have the memory and voltage regulation connected to the GPU heatsink.  i seen a video (i do no remember were) that use a thermal camera on a R9 290x were the GPU was at 50c but the voltage regulation was at 95c.  i personally would not recommend it for a new build.

i think that this is the video i want to show you, it is a water loop kit review.  it includes everything you should need to start the water cooled build.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gseAIcb3eu0&list=UUkWQ0gDrqOCarmUKmppD7GQ  check out some of his other videos, i know he has done an entire custom loop guide before if you do choose to go down this path.  (see below)

i would not worry to much about a leak of the water loop if you do a custom loop.  just make sure you cut the tubes with flat cuts and tighten the compression fittings and you should be good. 

buying a kit would help you out a lot, they include all the things you need to get started and a 360 rad would get you ready for 2 of those water blocked R9 290s and a water cooled CPU

http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/kits-und-systems/internal-kits/16022/phobya-pure-performance-kit-360lt

you will probably need a few of these if you are adding in the GPU to the loop (2 for each) http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/fittings/barbed-fittings/1310mm/5491/13/10mm-10x1-5mm-compression-fitting-outer-thread-1/4-compact-black-nickel

since it does look like you are on a budget and not wanting to put 200+ in to something that wouldn't do to much for the build other than looks i would stick with a NON-REFERENCE R9 290.  you will be spending more with the reference GPU you linked + the G10 + a 120mm Closed loop cooler. 

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

i would not do the Kraken G10 (also Corsiar is working on one that works better because it actually cools the voltage delivery, but i do not know when it is coming out).  the Kraken G10 would be if you got a Reference GPU, which run very hot and are loud.  any of the non reference designs would do the same as a G10, and possibly better. 

the G10 only uses a fan to cool the voltage regulation and memory.  were non reference cooler would have the memory and voltage regulation connected to the GPU heatsink.  i seen a video (i do no remember were) that use a thermal camera on a R9 290x were the GPU was at 50c but the voltage regulation was at 95c.  i personally would not recommend it for a new build.

i think that this is the video i want to show you, it is a water loop kit review.  it includes everything you should need to start the water cooled build.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gseAIcb3eu0&list=UUkWQ0gDrqOCarmUKmppD7GQ  check out some of his other videos, i know he has done an entire custom loop guide before if you do choose to go down this path.  (see below)

i would not worry to much about a leak of the water loop if you do a custom loop.  just make sure you cut the tubes with flat cuts and tighten the compression fittings and you should be good. 

buying a kit would help you out a lot, they include all the things you need to get started and a 360 rad would get you ready for 2 of those water blocked R9 290s and a water cooled CPU

http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/kits-und-systems/internal-kits/16022/phobya-pure-performance-kit-360lt

you will probably need a few of these if you are adding in the GPU to the loop (2 for each) http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/fittings/barbed-fittings/1310mm/5491/13/10mm-10x1-5mm-compression-fitting-outer-thread-1/4-compact-black-nickel

since it does look like you are on a budget and not wanting to put 200+ in to something that wouldn't do to much for the build other than looks i would stick with a NON-REFERENCE R9 290.  you will be spending more with the reference GPU you linked + the G10 + a 120mm Closed loop cooler. 

I'll probably go for watercooling now. Been watching dozens of vids now and I'd be lying if I said it doesn't look like fun :D In fact, it looks pretty simple - simpler than people make it out to be.

I'll go watercooling late next year. It would require too much time and money to build an open loop in college.

Point is this build will most likely go well over £1.5K (edit: well over above actually with an open loop eek) - won't be on so much of a budget once I actually save up some money.

Anyone think there'll be a new, revolutionising generation of gpus next year? If so, I'd probably find myself picking something better than a 290X anyways - assuming the price is below £500 for the gpu (alone)

Also, are the 290 and 290X both capable of 'very high' quality at 4k res? I'm assuming yes from all the reviews but still a tad bit unsure how much better the 290x is in practicality.

I'll probably go for watercooling now. Been watching dozens of vids now and I'd be lying if I said it doesn't look like fun :D In fact, it looks pretty simple - simpler than people make it out to be.

I'll go watercooling late next year. It would require too much time and money to build an open loop in college.

Point is this build will most likely go well over £1.5K (edit: well over above actually with an open loop eek) - won't be on so much of a budget once I actually save up some money.

Anyone think there'll be a new, revolutionising generation of gpus next year? If so, I'd probably find myself picking something better than a 290X anyways - assuming the price is below £500 for the gpu (alone)

Also, are the 290 and 290X both capable of 'very high' quality at 4k res? I'm assuming yes from all the reviews but still a tad bit unsure how much better the 290x is in practicality.

i am also planning on doing a custom water loop hopefully next year if i can find one of those elusive job things.  when i do my build i plan on modding my case a little so i can mount a Car Radiator w/ copper core on the outside.  it should prove to be very fun. 

there will probably be some kind of "revolutionary" GPUs next year to 2016,  Both Nvidia and AMD are moving to 16nm manufacturing (currently on 28nm), which will allow them to make bigger GPUs, ie better GPUs; but pricing and availability are up for grabs until probably later next year or even 2016 (at the latest). 

both are waiting for TSMC and GF to get the 16nm process usable for the mass production of GPUs and because science is hard it is taking longer than expected, so sometime in the next 2 months or so they will be releasing the "next Gen" GPUs using the 28nm process (Maxwell and Tonga).  by my guess the Nvidia Maxwell GPU will perform similar to a GTX 780, but use a less power, also the AMD Tonga will perform similar to a GTX 770 or R9 280x, but will use less power. 

My advices is once you get the money to build your computer, just buy it, do not be waiting for a few months for a new GPU. 

in order to push "very high" on 4k you will need at least a Dual GPU configuration at least.  a single GPU would only be able to push Medium. 

also something to wait for is a 4k Adaptive sync monitor.  even with Dual 290s you will most definatly not be running at 60fps all the time and a AS monitor would keep you from noticing it. 

i am also planning on doing a custom water loop hopefully next year if i can find one of those elusive job things.  when i do my build i plan on modding my case a little so i can mount a Car Radiator w/ copper core on the outside.  it should prove to be very fun. 

there will probably be some kind of "revolutionary" GPUs next year to 2016,  Both Nvidia and AMD are moving to 16nm manufacturing (currently on 28nm), which will allow them to make bigger GPUs, ie better GPUs; but pricing and availability are up for grabs until probably later next year or even 2016 (at the latest). 

both are waiting for TSMC and GF to get the 16nm process usable for the mass production of GPUs and because science is hard it is taking longer than expected, so sometime in the next 2 months or so they will be releasing the "next Gen" GPUs using the 28nm process (Maxwell and Tonga).  by my guess the Nvidia Maxwell GPU will perform similar to a GTX 780, but use a less power, also the AMD Tonga will perform similar to a GTX 770 or R9 280x, but will use less power. 

My advices is once you get the money to build your computer, just buy it, do not be waiting for a few months for a new GPU. 

in order to push "very high" on 4k you will need at least a Dual GPU configuration at least.  a single GPU would only be able to push Medium. 

also something to wait for is a 4k Adaptive sync monitor.  even with Dual 290s you will most definatly not be running at 60fps all the time and a AS monitor would keep you from noticing it. 

Wow so the next gpus will be worse than the 290Xs?

Also, I'll be waiting for quite some time for 4k to get more affordable and for it to mature more.

Until then my 1080p tv and 1 watercooled (and probably insanely overclocked) gpu will probably be enough :P

i'll just add an extra watercooled gpu if I need it a few years down the line.

oh yeah and i might just set up an open watercooled system now. :D

If you don't know anything about AMD cards then I don't think you should try taking them apart to water cool them until you're more familiar with them. They have different TDPs than Nvidia and thus create different temps at different loads. I think the wise choice would be to buy a 280X or a 290 and use it for a while before you try taking off the heatsink to water cool it.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

If you don't know anything about AMD cards then I don't think you should try taking them apart to water cool them until you're more familiar with them. They have different TDPs than Nvidia and thus create different temps at different loads. I think the wise choice would be to buy a 280X or a 290 and use it for a while before you try taking off the heatsink to water cool it.

I'd just buy a card with a pre-applied water cool block thing (whatever its called)

I'm not comfortable with voiding my warranty.

Also, wouldn't youtube vids be enough with learning about how to apply a water cooler block thingy

I'd just buy a card with a pre-applied water cool block thing (whatever its called)

I'm not comfortable with voiding my warranty.

Also, wouldn't youtube vids be enough with learning about how to apply a water cooler block thingy

The best way to learn this stuff isn't from youtube. It's from actually doing it. But you have to be willing to spend some money and be willing to take a risk with your parts.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

290 and 290X are allmost equaly in gaming performance, not much of a diffrence between them.

maybe 5 fps.

AMD ... "BEST GFX IN THE WORLD" when all things considered.

Wow so the next gpus will be worse than the 290Xs?

Also, I'll be waiting for quite some time for 4k to get more affordable and for it to mature more.

Until then my 1080p tv and 1 watercooled (and probably insanely overclocked) gpu will probably be enough :P

i'll just add an extra watercooled gpu if I need it a few years down the line.

oh yeah and i might just set up an open watercooled system now. :D

ok, so there is the Next GPU from Nvidia coming out in the next few months is rumored to be on par to a little better a GTX 780 when it comes to 4k. probably coming close to a R9 290 when it comes to 4k which is roughly 18% faster than the GTX780 (again at 4k). 

the next GPU from AMD coming out in the next few months is rumored to be on par to a little better then a R9 280x at 1080p and (maybe 1440p or a pair for 4k if they release a 4GB version) and it's main feature will be a lower power draw than the compatible 280x also "FreeSync" compatibility. 

then there is the 2015-2016 releases that the high end cards will out perform any of the cards at 4k, but come with the price tag to match (most likely).  then there will be comparable variants to current GPUs but will use less power, but also cost a little bit more. 

when you do get 4k, make sure you get an Adaptive monitor - Gsync with Nvidia or "Free"/Adaptive Sync with AMD

and yes 1 of a high end card like a R9 290 would be more than acquitted for a single 1080p monitor