R9 290X Blackscreens?

Spottel

I wanted to get a Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290x (or a MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning OC ? ) for my new PC. I´ve heard from some people, that they had problems with blackscreens in idle or when watching videos. Do you know if this is already fixed with new drivers, or do i really need to buy a nvidia card?

I wanted to get a Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290x (or a MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning OC ? ) for my new PC. I´ve heard from some people, that they had problems with blackscreens in idle or when watching videos. Do you know if this is already fixed with new drivers, or do i really need to buy a nvidia card?

I Had this issue, but it's been a few months since I had the card. I sold it right away to a Miner.

It was linked to the memory used on the card. People with one brand of memory had the issue alot, Whereas those lucky enough to have another type of memory were usually just fine. I would imagine that they have been able to fix the issue though.

Worst case, you can return it. I got the black screens almost immediately, and after reading it was a 50/50 chance of getting a good card if I did an RMA, I just sold it.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I have the memory issue on my 290. It seems it has to do with the new memory controller AMD uses on the 290(x). It mainly effects people with Elpida ram (my card has Elpida too) but some Hynix cards also have the issue. It black screens regardless of drivers used in modern AAA games like BF4. I pretty much fixed it by down clocking my VRAM to 1100Mhz. I'm just gonna RMA my card in a month and a half before I leave for college so, I won't miss it. The weird thing is that originally the card had no issues, and overclocked like a champ on both the core and memory (1135/1450). But, one day overnight, it develops these issues and now it artifacts past 1050 and I have to under-clock the memory or it will black screen and lock up my computer.

IMHO, if you can spare the cash to pick up an nvidia card with the same performance that costs more, do it. AMD has a better price/performance ratio but, that comes at a cost. I'm not going to buy another AMD card. When I see I fully fledged 20nm maxwell GM110, I'll be pulling my wallet out.

EDIT: Just looked and you can get a reference 780 B-stock from EVGA for $439 which is pretty much the same as a decent 290 (http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8)

I Had this issue, but it's been a few months since I had the card. I sold it right away to a Miner.

It was linked to the memory used on the card. People with one brand of memory had the issue alot, Whereas those lucky enough to have another type of memory were usually just fine. I would imagine that they have been able to fix the issue though.

Worst case, you can return it. I got the black screens almost immediately, and after reading it was a 50/50 chance of getting a good card if I did an RMA, I just sold it.

I live near Portland too! Small world I guess.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I have the memory issue on my 290. It seems it has to do with the new memory controller AMD uses on the 290(x). It mainly effects people with Elpida ram (my card has Elpida too) but some Hynix cards also have the issue. It black screens regardless of drivers used in modern AAA games like BF4. I pretty much fixed it by down clocking my VRAM to 1100Mhz. I'm just gonna RMA my card in a month and a half before I leave for college so, I won't miss it. The weird thing is that originally the card had no issues, and overclocked like a champ on both the core and memory (1135/1450). But, one day overnight, it develops these issues and now it artifacts past 1050 and I have to under-clock the memory or it will black screen and lock up my computer.

IMHO, if you can spare the cash to pick up an nvidia card with the same performance that costs more, do it. AMD has a better price/performance ratio but, that comes at a cost. I'm not going to buy another AMD card. When I see I fully fledged 20nm maxwell GM110, I'll be pulling my wallet out.

EDIT: Just looked and you can get a reference 780 B-stock from EVGA for $439 which is pretty much the same as a decent 290 (http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8)

I live near Portland too! Small world I guess.

This is exactly the issue I'm talking about. Mine had Elpida ram, and constant blackscreens. 

Not to hate on AMD, but I sold that card ASAP because to me, a $500 graphics card should not have issues like this. 

Hi Fellow Portlander :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

This is exactly the issue I'm talking about. Mine had Elpida ram, and constant blackscreens. 

Not to hate on AMD, but I sold that card ASAP because to me, a $500 graphics card should not have issues like this. 

Hi Fellow Portlander :)

I agree, instead of admitting that there is an issue they just tell people to RMA to avoid the backlash. And then there's the reference cooler... D:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky