Assembling my new build

Hi everyone,

I'm building a pc for the first time and having a hard time connecting the fans. I've tried reading my mother board manual but the pins on the fan power input donot match those on the motherboard. I'm using the NZXT Phantom 410 case and Asus Maximus VII Ranger motherboard. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm building a pc for the first time and having a hard time connecting the fans. I've tried reading my mother board manual but the pins on the fan power input donot match those on the motherboard. I'm using the NZXT Phantom 410 case and Asus Maximus VII Ranger motherboard. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

3pin or 4pin fans?

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

I think they're 2pin as there are two pins on their inputs. Again please pardon my ignorance.

I think they're 2pin as there are two pins on their inputs. Again please pardon my ignorance.

Quote people so they can read your response. Also there is no 2pin as far as i know. But if that is a 3pin fan and the connector to the mobo is 4pin, it's still ok. Just make sure the connector fits in the exact place.

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Quote people so they can read your response. Also there is no 2pin as far as i know. But if that is a 3pin fan and the connector to the mobo is 4pin, it's still ok. Just make sure the connector fits in the exact place.

Apparently I don't understand what's a fan connector! So here's the deal - there are 3 fans in my pc cabinet and I can locate 4 connectors of one type (having 2 pins each) and a single connector of the other type (having 3 pins). As far as I think, the latter connector is for all of the fans. Is that the case?

Apparently I don't understand what's a fan connector! So here's the deal - there are 3 fans in my pc cabinet and I can locate 4 connectors of one type (having 2 pins each) and a single connector of the other type (having 3 pins). As far as I think, the latter connector is for all of the fans. Is that the case?

Hmmm. Can you post photos of the said items? Just so i know what it looks like exactly.

Here's one I found online

http://picpaste.com/cd3f2907639aa8022e7bff9eb1590373.jpg

The 4 similarily looking connectors have 2 pins each and the single big connector has 3 pins.

Two pins means voltage control and that it cant have its rpm monitored.

The 4 similarily looking connectors have 2 pins each and the single big connector has 3 pins.

This is molex fan connector. You connect it to a molex adaptor coming from your PSU. Then connect the fans in it. No need to connect it in the motherboard. That said, you can't control the voltage of the fans and they will run a full speed.

2pin fans are for power supplies so it can't be that. Why aren't you using the fan controller on the case? 

Power supplies use 2pin fans.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

2pin fans are for power supplies so it can't be that. Why aren't you using the fan controller on the case? 

Power supplies use 2pin fans.

oh. didn't know that. I never used them :D Thanks for the info! 

Connector_mbfanpwm_3to4pin.png

These are fan connectors you connect to mobo. Left shows both. It also demonstrates how to connect 3pin to 4pin. You can do it other way around also.

The pic you posted shows splitter most likely. So big one is molex and goes to PSU. Smaller ones are male 3pins (which can fit 4pins) to which you plug your fans. I would suggest using mobo headers or case fan control.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The NZXT Phantom 410 has a fan controler integrated, thats what those cables are for. You need to connect the 4-Molex (the bigger one) to your PSU and the other ones go to each fan, that way the fan controler sets the speed by adjusting the voltage of each fan.

Connector_mbfanpwm_3to4pin.png

These are fan connectors you connect to mobo. Left shows both. It also demonstrates how to connect 3pin to 4pin. You can do it other way around also.

The pic you posted shows splitter most likely. So big one is molex and goes to PSU. Smaller ones are male 3pins (which can fit 4pins) to which you plug your fans. I would suggest using mobo headers or case fan control.

Fixed it, thanks!!