Should I cancel my order?

aduman

Instead of upgrading to the 1440p monitor, upgrade to at least a 4K monitor, or ...there was some aspect ratio linus reviewed in the past 2 months that he was a fan of. Maybe that. Either way, GFX memory helps when you want to crank AA, or just plain have a massive resolution (like 4K) but is otherwise not very useful.

So...cancel if you aren't going to 'about 4K' resolution on your monitor(s), keep if you decide 1440p is...a sub-optimal upgrade.

I'm still not trolling? I've found your replies to be very helpful towards my decision actually. The benchmarks you provided were exactly what I was looking for! For that I thank you sir.

Sorry it's just you have people still replying to your thread and you're already trying to bump you're thread.

Also just a tip for next time, if you want people to read an update then edit the OP and type "EDIT:", because a large majority of people won't read through all the replies, they'll just click the reply button.

I will be upgrading to the ROG Swift as soon as it comes out. It seems like it will be out in EU in a month or so...

@aduman

Typo'd 5 for 8, I was referring to you not planning to upgrade FROM the ROG Swift TO a 4K monitor anytime soon.

I mean it's a pretty hefty investment, I don't see any normal person dropping $1000 on a graphics card + $800 on a monitor and then replacing it without waiting at least two years.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Dude I'm sorry thank you for your advice but I've read an argument which you were participating and you were simply trolling all the way through so...

Um no excuse me

Sorry it's just you have people still replying to your thread and you're already trying to bump you're thread.

Also just a tip for next time, if you want people to read an update then edit the OP and type "EDIT:", because a large majority of people won't read through all the replies, they'll just click the reply button.

Oh ok, thank you. I was just too excited about this I guess.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Um no excuse me

The one where people told you to shut up and they backed it up with facts and benchmarks. The thread is very similar to mine.

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

The one where people told you to shut up and they backed it up with facts and benchmarks. The thread is very similar to mine.

I refuted that. I proved using sources from Guru 3D that with the settings used in their posted Crysis 3 benchmark does not use even close to 3GB Vram @ 1600P therefore their claim that the extra Vram on the 6Gb 780 was the cause of the increased performance was invalid.

Hi everyone!

I was reading some posts here lately and they made me doubt my decision...

I've ordered 2 EVGA 780 sc acx 6GB gpus (decision was made here on a thread) but they will be shipped around next week.

On the posts I read everyone was saying things like the 780s wouldn't benefit from the extra VRAM as the GPU power wouldn't be enough after 3GB of VRAM usage. Also everyone was recommending the Tis over the 780s... I know the extra vram will not make the card faster but it would prevent bottlenecking for sure. On a single 780 6 gigs of vram is imo pointless, but on SLI it could be a gamechanger.

My current monitor is a 120 Hz 1080p one but I frequently game on 3D and it halves the frame rates, and single card can't provide around 120Hz fps these days. I'll be upgrading to the ROG Swift too.

Cancelling the order and price difference is not a problem at all btw.

Thank you guys!

Edit: You can assume I have the ROG Swift monitor from Asus, a 1440p 144Hz one as I'm getting it very very soon.

Games are due to requiring a lot more VRAM than they used to 6 months ago within the next 6 months from now. So I would recommend not cancelling your order, 6GB VRAM will be beneficial and it is particularly the case knowing the price difference between the EVGA 3GB 780s and 6GB 780s is not that much.

Games are due to requiring a lot more VRAM than they used to 6 months ago within the next 6 months from now. So I would recommend not cancelling your order, 6GB VRAM will be beneficial and it is particularly the case knowing the price difference between the EVGA 3GB 780s and 6GB 780s is not that much.

I dont think 6GB Vram will be useful @1440P I mean look at MLL that game hardly uses much Vram at all even at high resolution and AA settings.

I'd cancel the order and just get one GPU. You don't need a whole lot of Vram for a 1080p display to be honest.

Or you could always send me the 2nd card free of charge because I provide brilliant advice. 

Not if the OP wants to push 120fps, even a 780Ti will struggle in some games (e.g. Battlefield 4)

144Hz goodness

Not if the OP wants to push 120fps, even a 780Ti will struggle in some games (e.g. Battlefield 4)

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. You can't get around 100fps on 1080p with just one 780Ti (everything maxed out). You just can't.

My only issue is the VRAM. I'm getting the ROG Swift monitor which is a 1440p one AND it's a 144Hz one! Crysis pushes nearly 3 gigs of VRAM on high resolutions. This scares me..

Spoiler

Spoiler

I dont think 6GB Vram will be useful @1440P I mean look at MLL that game hardly uses much Vram at all even at high resolution and AA settings.

When you are about to spend 2x 780 money wouldn't you want them to work well for at least a couple of years to come? Lots of games under development are architectured around 3gb 4gb being standard VRAM nowadays.

I have 2gb vram right now and can count many games that take a big hit, particularly open world games - rpgs and such, from not having more vram to support my 1440p display.

4GB is a sweet spot right now, however, again, that is to increase, so I see nothing wrong with dropping $30-40 more to get double the VRAM.

Think of it that way also, EVGA 780 3GB and 6GB only have a price difference of about $30-40, wouldn't you pay that much more to get double the VRAM? I would

I see...

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. You can't get around 100fps on 1080p with just one 780Ti (everything maxed out). You just can't.

My only issue is the VRAM. I'm getting the ROG Swift monitor which is a 1440p one AND it's a 144Hz one! Crysis pushes nearly 3 gigs of VRAM on high resolutions. This scares me..

But do you personally even notice the difference between 100fps and 144fps? I just feel like buying one 780 and then getting the a 800 series card when it comes out would be a better move. Either that or getting a 2nd 780 when the 800 series cards make their debut. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

When you are about to spend 2x 780 money wouldn't you want them to work well for at least a couple of years to come? Lots of games under development are architectured around 3gb 4gb being standard VRAM nowadays.

I have 2gb vram right now and can count many games that take a big hit, particularly open world games - rpgs and such, from not having more vram to support my 1440p display.

4GB is a sweet spot right now, however, again, that is to increase, so I see nothing wrong with dropping $30-40 more to get double the VRAM.

Think of it that way also, EVGA 780 3GB and 6GB only have a price difference of about $30-40, wouldn't you pay that much more to get double the VRAM? I would

I see...

But do you personally even notice the difference between 100fps and 144fps? I just feel like buying one 780 and then getting the a 800 series card when it comes out would be a better move. Either that or getting a 2nd 780 when the 800 series cards make their debut.

Let's please not get into the "can you see the fps difference, human eye can only see 24fps" stuff. Don't get me wrong but whenever this comes up people tend to go apesh*t.

I wasn't going to upgrade, that was until my 590 broke on me.. I've got a refund and now I need a new setup. Evga step up is always there for me too.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Every game I have runs fine on 2GB Vram @ 1080P even modded Skyrim runs great. 1440P I would recommend 3GB as the sweet spot right now though with 4GB being even better. I think games will become more optimized in the future but that's just an opinion.

Let's please not get into the "can you see the fps difference, human eye can only see 24fps" stuff. Don't get me wrong but whenever this comes up people tend to go apesh*t.

I wasn't going to upgrade, that was until my 590 broke on me.. I've got a refund and now I need a new setup. Evga step up is always there for me too.

You've got it all wrong. I wasn't going that route, I can personally see differences above 60 frames per second. I was just saying some people have a point where they can't tell the difference such as 70 fps to 90fps so that extra 20fps is pointless to them. We all have different eye sight, I personally don't see a difference in gameplay when my fps is above around 80fps, any higher is just pointless to me. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

You've got it all wrong. I wasn't going that route, I can personally see differences above 60 frames per second. I was just saying some people have a point where they can't tell the difference such as 70 fps to 90fps so that extra 20fps is pointless to them. We all have different eye sight, I personally don't see a difference in gameplay when my fps is above around 80fps, any higher is just pointless to me.

Oh, I'm sorry then. I knew we weren't going there, some people tend to say stuff like that really often.. I can actually say my fps is lower than 100 when it gets lower than that. Everyone has different eyesights though.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh, I'm sorry then. I knew we weren't going there, some people tend to say stuff like that really often.. I can actually say my fps is lower than 100 when it gets lower than that. Everyone has different eyesights though.

Hmm you must have good eyes then, either that or mine are getting worse with age.... 

Hmm you must have good eyes then, either that or mine are getting worse with age....

No, trust me it's not because of age. Only a few friends of mine can say when it gets lower than 100fps. I tested this myself on BF3 multiplayer and I looked at the fps counter whenever I thought it was lower than 100-110 and it was indeed around 80-90 at that time. Not at that exact moment, I noticed the difference in 2-3 seconds. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

No, trust me it's not because of age. Only a few friends of mine can say when it gets lower than 100fps. I tested this myself on BF3 multiplayer and I looked at the fps counter whenever I thought it was lower than 100-110 and it was indeed around 80-90 at that time. Not at exactly that moment, I noticed the difference in 2-3 seconds. :)

I'm sure age plays a factor though, I use to be absurdly good at FPS games ending matches with 50 kills to 3 deaths. I legitimately feel like my response time has gotten worse as I aged. I don't really game much now-a-days anyway so I guess it doesn't matter, but having a good response time is still useful for various other tasks in life. 

I'm sure age plays a factor though, I use to be absurdly good at FPS games ending matches with 50 kills to 3 deaths. I legitimately feel like my response time has gotten worse as I aged. I don't really game much now-a-days anyway so I guess it doesn't matter, but having a good response time is still useful for various other tasks in life. 

After you hit about 30 I think as a male you defiantly start to slow down a bit.

After you hit about 30 I think as a male you defiantly start to slow down a bit.

Bummer, I still have around 9 years and I think my response time and eye sight degradation is already kicking in. 

I totally agree with you on that man. :) Just an off-topic question: Since you said you used to be very good at fps genre have you ever played any cs games before? Just out of curiosity. :)

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd not cancel it, if I had the money I would've ordered the same.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Bummer, I still have around 9 years and I think my response time and eye sight degradation is already kicking in.

Don't worry we are nearly the same age!

Spoiler

Spoiler