Help me plz! Confusion Re: fans!

Quentin James

Hi,

I have five fans installed in my Corsair 760T, and all the fans are plugged into the motherboard.

There arent any fan headers left on the mobo. Since I have a Corsair H80i, four more fans could be added on by directly plugging in to the H80i device itself.

I tried this myself, and it did work, however the fans seemed to be locked to max, something I DON'T want happening.

They can be heared, and I don't think it does the fans any good. (they are SP 120's quiet ed.)

Is there a way of solving this? Or should I go for adapters for the mobo fan headers, giving me the option of plugging in two fans into one connection?

This is a sticky situation for me, as I am about to purchase more fans but am in doubt if it would even work.

If this helps I have an ASUS Maximus VII Hero.

Thank you,

Quentin

Hi,

I have five fans installed in my Corsair 760T, and all the fans are plugged into the motherboard.

There arent any fan headers left on the mobo. Since I have a Corsair H80i, four more fans could be added on by directly plugging in to the H80i device itself.

I tried this myself, and it did work, however the fans seemed to be locked to max, something I DON'T want happening.

They can be heared, and I don't think it does the fans any good. (they are SP 120's quiet ed.)

Is there a way of solving this? Or should I go for adapters for the mobo fan headers, giving me the option of plugging in two fans into one connection?

This is a sticky situation for me, as I am about to purchase more fans but am in doubt if it would even work.

Thank you,

Quentin

I think you can control them through Corsair Link, have you tried that?

i'm a potato

Yes and no, I'm also having trouble with Corsair link... It won't even detect the H80i and I've tried everything to get  it working.

So I cannot control it, not even through ASUS Fan Control in the bios.

You need corsair link for it to work

Did you connect the h80i up to the USB header inside?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Cheapest option would be to get some fan splitters, another option is a fan controller, but they're ugly..

Fan splitters are probably what I'm after, would you recommend any? And are you sure they won't max the fans?

Thankz.

Yes I did, and I tried connecting to different ones, and I tried connecting to an outside USB connection.

Nothing works...

Fan splitters are probably what I'm after, would you recommend any? And are you sure they won't max the fans?

Thankz.

I dont use corsair fans but i believe it's only once you get to 4 on one header that they'll only run at full speed, I'm not 100% sure though.

I dont use corsair fans but i believe it's only once you get to 4 on one header that they'll only run at full speed, I'm not 100% sure though.

Ok then, thanks all the same.

I will try this again and spend more time trying to solve this in the bios.

Hope It'll turn out good!

Hi,

Thank you,

Quentin

If I'm not mistake you can control the RPM of those fans through Corsair Link that comes with the H80i. 

Good fan splitters: 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/20988/ele-1196/Swiftech_8-Way_PWM_Cable_Splitter_-_SATA_Power_8W-PWM-SPL-ST.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21000/ele-1197/4-Pin_Molex_SATA_Power_Distribution_PCB_8x_PWM_2x_4-pin_Block_MMT-PCB-4-8P2M1S.html

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Wow man thanks, best answer yet!

One question; do the splitters max out the fans? or can I change the speeds? Note that my version of Corsair Link doesn't work... I would want them on quiet mode.

Thanks alot, appreciated!

Wow man thanks, best answer yet!

One question; do the splitters max out the fans? or can I change the speeds? Note that my version of Corsair Link doesn't work... I would want them on quiet mode.

Thanks alot, appreciated!

Those splitters are best used with 4-pin PWM fans of the same RPM. Basically how it works is for example on the Swiftech splitter, the motherboard fan header will read the PWM signal off the fan on the red fan header. You can then set the RPM for this fan using the Bios or other fan control programs. The fan splitter will transmit this rpm signal to all the fans on the splitter. So if you connect 8 Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans to the fan splitter and set the one on the red fan header at 1200RPM all 8 fans will run at 1200RPM and so on. The fan splitter gets direct power through the molex connector you plug into the PSU so you need not worry about overloading the motherboard fan header you connect it too. 

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Those splitters are best used with 4-pin PWM fans of the same RPM. Basically how it works is for example on the Swiftech splitter, the motherboard fan header will read the PWM signal off the fan on the red fan header. You can then set the RPM for this fan using the Bios or other fan control programs. The fan splitter will transmit this rpm signal to all the fans on the splitter. So if you connect 8 Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans to the fan splitter and set the one on the red fan header at 1200RPM all 8 fans will run at 1200RPM and so on. The fan splitter gets direct power through the molex connector you plug into the PSU so you need not worry about overloading the motherboard fan header you connect it too. 

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter.aspx

Thanks man, solved my problem TOTALLY.