Corsair Voyager GTX - For Gaming? - In Depth Look!

So besides the fact that the Corsair Voyager GTX is really fast for a flash drive, what else could it be used for besides what the reviews on YouTube, including Linus, have not already covered? What about gaming? Gaming from a flash drive has never been a feasible option. As a matter of fact, running any high end program from a flash drive seems impractical. It runs slow, bottlenecks, and is down right not worth the hassle. Well, in short, this Flash Drive changes this. So can you game on this drive? Yes! 

Is gaming on this flash drive the best option or the most practical? Maybe...maybe not. If you are a gamer on the go with a laptop, or like to attend a LAN...with a laptop, then this seems like a great option for you. If you are going to bring a small form factor PC like the Bitfenix Prodigy then just use an SSD. This Drive will not be for you. If you are wanting a drive that is small, very fast, and will actually play the game as if natively then this is what you need! Yes the transfer rates on this drive are all well and good as many reviews have tested but none have touched the subject of gaming from one which is what I'm going to break down.

My setup: I have a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 fully stocked...yes hate on me for gaming on a Mac, it works very well actually and I needed the mobility, nuf said...anyways, I use a slim external hard drive to store all my games via the USB 3.0 port. This is all good but at average speeds of 105 MB/s it is minuscule in comparison to what seemed the Voyager could champion over. So I purchased the 256GB version, cloned my external to the Voyager and put Battlefield 4 and Titanfall to the test. To my surprise, it ran very very well. 

Heat?: The drive did not heat up as much as I thought it would and I checked constantly. While playing BF4, the outer housing remained a steady "warm" feeling...not blistering hot. That being said, if you are not transferring over 100GB of data at once, you shouldn't experience any overheating issues.

Performance?: With the majority of maps on BF4 and Titanfall, I experienced a pretty substantial increase in load times. Typicall with my mechanical drive, I found that on BF4 a typical map could take 55-135 seconds to load. To some that may not seem long...just enough time to take a piss. The Voyager had performance that was to be expected. The map load times averaged around 10-30 seconds, sometimes within 5 seconds if the map isn't too big. And on top of that, some of the textures seemed to render (in the beginning of map load) noticeably faster.

Longevity?: This drive is relatively new for my setup so how it handles over time will tell. I will follow up with a response on its age/performance. However, aesthetically, it looks great and durable. But this is pure subjective.

Benchtest?: I performed four separate kinds of tests. 1: Mac side test with nothing on the drive. 2: PC side test with nothing on the drive. 3: PC side test with 170GB on drive with no programs running. 4: PC side test with 170GB on drive with 3-4 programs running in background.

1---Mac side I used the standard Blackmagicdesign test:

Sequential Read: Avg. 426.05 MB/s  
Sequential Write: Avg. 155.65 MB/s

2---PC side using CyrstalDiskMark----
Sequential Read: Avg. 399.3 MB/s
Sequential Write: Avg. 186.2 MB/s

3---PC side using CyrstalDiskMark with 170GB, no load---
Seq. Reads: Avg. 369-397 MB/s

4---PC side using CyrstalDiskMark with 170GB, with Origin, Steam, and 1-2 Background Loads---
Seq. Reads: Avg. 316-360 MB/s

Conclusion:
-Yes, you can game on this drive very well. Is it the most ideal choice for mobile? Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly helps with speed and overall physical size as compared to an external if you're on the go or at a LAN. Is this good for professionals? Very much so, especially with large models or documents you need to work off of instead of dragging the file to the Desktop every time. You can work straight from the drive.
-I believe this drive is a fascinating piece of technology and it has worked up to its expectation. Is it faster than an SSD? Of course NOT, but it is the best solution out there for those who just want pure speed in this sized form factor. Keep in mind, that if you do not have a USB 3.0 to benefit from, then this product is NOT FOR YOU....yet. USB 2.0 will not give you much of a better of performance than any other drive.
-Overall, this is a solid Drive that is very well designed and will perform to your expectations whether your gaming, modeling, editing, or even doing large file transfers.

post-66725-0-75889500-1406181621_thumb.p

post-66725-0-10404800-1406181624_thumb.p

post-66725-0-82179500-1406181945.png

post-66725-0-12726400-1406181946.png

wow I never considered this use for that. Awsome!

Good on ya for using a MacBook Pro for gaming, it's pretty rare that we see that around here :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Macbook Pro Gaming Master Race?

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Macbook Pro Gaming Master Race?

You know it!

You know it!

mind asking how is it you were able to get games to run on the flash drive?

sorry to bother you

in this aspect I kinda dumb as I typically run games from C or D drives generation :/

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

sorry to bother you

in this aspect I kinda dumb as I typically run games from C or D drives generation :/

just install the game to the stick instead of to C:

if using steam you can copy paste the file, then tell steam to use the stick as an alternative steam library, then when you try to download the game it will detect the files on the stick and let you play

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

sorry to bother you

just install the game to the stick instead of to C:

if using steam you can copy paste the file, then tell steam to use the stick as an alternative steam library, then when you try to download the game it will detect the files on the stick and let you play

ShadowCaptain has a good point by using the FlashDrive as an alternative Library, didn't think of that one. For me, since being on my laptop and having minimal USB ports, I use the FlashDrive as my dedicated drive with Steam/Origin/Whatever install on it, instead of a mechanical drive I've been using. So yeah it is just treating the FlashDrive like your C:/ Drive! 

ShadowCaptain has a good point by using the FlashDrive as an alternative Library,

Either way works :) then if you only want certain games installed on certain drives you can do it that way

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, I could install a couple of key games, then take them everywhere.