DVI-D or HDMI ? which is best?

Jason Jamelo

I'm planning to buy a new monitor.. And I'm having a hard time choosing the right cable inputs.. Which is better DVI-D or HDMI?..

For a monitor if you don't need sound, DVI although the video protocol of the 2 is the same there will be no difference in quality.

If the monitor is 120Hz or above 1440p though it will want a DVI-D Dual Link cable or a DisplayPort.

dual-link-dvi.gif

Almost all monitors will have the cable needed to connect them included, don't worry about it but with monitors I always recommend DVI or DisplayPort as no1 choices.

I like DVI because I don't have to deal with disabling the audio settings and that I won't have to fiddle with the scaling settings.

Fairly certain that DVI-D dual link is better, but both will get the job done

DVI-D. Some monitors won't even support full RGB through HDMI. Plus you get locking connectors. If you're going about 1080p 60Hz, then dual link DVI is the only way to go between the two. 

I always use hdmi just because its more accesible i have a million of them and i dont even think i have 1 dvi-d dual link cable u will need dual link dvi if your monitor is 120hz and u want to use it but if not there is no difference in image quality so its going to be the exact same.

The reason why I asked about this is to know the image differences between the two.. So thanks guys.. appreciate it..

DVI and HDMI are the same, the major difference is HDMI carries sound also which is why it is great for TVs.

The only day to day consideration really is if you have a phone/tablet that uses HDMI to be able to connect and even then only if you would ever do this.

DVI-D dual link is the way to go. No sound, but it offers a retention system that is far superior to the HDMI's friction connection. That is a trade off I am willing to make, especially since I do not use monitor audio.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

There is no image difference between the 2, at the consumer level.

If you want to be technical, DVI supports more colors if you have the display and content for (you don't), and features error correcting bit to ensure that every pixels on the screen at every frame is correct, while HDMI doesn't. You won't notice the difference.

However, DVI is a plug-in and play, and gets you a solid connection.

HDMI is plug-in and pray, where it might work out of the box, but it might not, and you have to fiddle with over scan and under scan features on the GPU, or monitor/TV (if has the option), and disable the sound, so that it comes out from your speakers, and if you move too much the computer or monitor, the cable will fall out, or the screen will flash at moment as the cable shifts and loose connection for a moment, and you 'll wonder what is going on.. HDMI has no latch system, or screws. It uses friction to hold.

Unless you're going above 1080p@60hz, you're probably not going to notice a difference.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4