Help me pick a pair of headphones

Ryuk

I've seen this claim before. The M40x come with 40mm drivers while the M50x come with 45mm drivers. My knowledge is poor, so correct me if I am wrong, bigger drivers - better bass. I don't mind paying a little more for a little better sound, especially considering my budget is $300.

And you didn't touch on the bass and treble - have you tried eq-ing?

So explain IEMs. Realistically it's not a difference that you'd notice.

Well these will be my first pair of good headphones so I definitely won't feel any difference between the M40 and M50 then, thanks for that point. If I won't like the pro700, M40x will most likely be the ones.

Thank you, EmoRarity and SSL  :)

hmm I see what you mean by not so good highs, will see in action.

I don't understand the second graph though, what does it show?

hmm I see what you mean by not so good highs, will see in action.

I don't understand the second graph though, what does it show?

Bass quality. Basically it is horribly uncontrolled. Ideally it would look like this: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=153&scale=30

this thread reduces my IQ by 2

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

After about 12 hours of listening (pro700mk2) here is my short review:

Sound:
I have been listening using my nexus 5 - better than I expected. I have been listening without any eq through spotify. Great clarity, the bass doesn't overpower the treble. Mids sound good as well. When listening to rock/metal - the bass becomes quieter, which is perfect. But these headphones really shine when it comes to rap, hip-hop and electronic music, it's just heaven for the ears. 

I also tried these headphones on an iPhone 5s - the sound is much louder. While I have to turn it up to max on my nexus, on the iPhone max is a little too loud. I will eq later and add some extra voltage to the stock amp, should help. If anyone knows which apps are the best for android for this, let me know, sometimes I would like the sound a tad louder.

I sold my laptop so I can't test it on a decent system quite yet. Getting a G550JK soon though and will update.

Comfort:
The first 20 minutes or so - no comfort issues. The drivers pop out too much though and they are touching my ears, which is a little uncomfortable, not OK at all. I fixed that by putting some cotton around the cups, which raises them and now I can listen to them for much longer. I did, however, order the DT250 velour ear pads, should arrive tomorrow, should be much better. 

Some people mentioned(not here) that the ears might not fit inside - not the case for me. I have medium sized ears and they fit just well.

The clamping force is not as strong as others mentioned, no discomfort whatsoever.

Im a big fan of bose headphones i know they are expensive for what you get but i really do love my bose

After about 12 hours of listening (pro700mk2) here is my short review:

Sound:

I have been listening using my nexus 5 - better than I expected. I have been listening without any eq through spotify. Great clarity, the bass doesn't overpower the treble. Mids sound good as well. When listening to rock/metal - the bass becomes quieter, which is perfect. But these headphones really shine when it comes to rap, hip-hop and electronic music, it's just heaven for the ears. 

I also tried these headphones on an iPhone 5s - the sound is much louder. While I have to turn it up to max on my nexus, on the iPhone max is a little too loud. I will eq later and add some extra voltage to the stock amp, should help. If anyone knows which apps are the best for android for this, let me know, sometimes I would like the sound a tad louder.

I sold my laptop so I can't test it on a decent system quite yet. Getting a G550JK soon though and will update.

Comfort:

The first 20 minutes or so - no comfort issues. The drivers pop out too much though and they are touching my ears, which is a little uncomfortable, not OK at all. I fixed that by putting some cotton around the cups, which raises them and now I can listen to them for much longer. I did, however, order the DT250 velour ear pads, should arrive tomorrow, should be much better. 

Some people mentioned(not here) that the ears might not fit inside - not the case for me. I have medium sized ears and they fit just well.

The clamping force is not as strong as others mentioned, no discomfort whatsoever.

The headphones I have which should arrive tomorrow is critcized for its weight primarily but its clamping force second. I auditioned them before buying, but I think people either have large heads, are babies about clamping pressure, or I have a small head. Or maybe all three.  :lol:

"The head is like a grape. it's meant to be thouroughly squeezed by the clamping force, juicing it completely." -A wise man

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hey guys, I am looking for a pair of headphones. I listen to everything. I like nice powerful bass but not way too overpowering or muddy. Looking for clear sound too. Looked at different headphones, can't pick anything. I am looking to spend up to $170 but can go higher if it is worth it. Will wear them mostly inside.

You can't go wrong with ATH M50X,but i recommend ATH M40 X(100 dollar) and fiio e11(60 dollar) or fiio e12 if you can afford it.Since you love bass you will like M50 more,m40x is more of accurate sounding version like sony MDR v6 but better.

You can't go wrong with ATH M50X,but i recommend ATH M40 X(100 dollar) and fiio e11(60 dollar) or fiio e12 if you can afford it.Since you love bass you will like M50 more,m40x is more of accurate sounding version like sony MDR v6 but better.

The M40x and M50x sound identical and buying an amp would change much/doesnt do anything onboard doesnt.

The M40x and M50x sound identical and buying an amp would change much/doesnt do anything onboard doesnt.

No they don't sound identical.M40X is neutral and M50X is bass heavy(in a good way).

Onboard audio is way bad compared to that of fiio e11.

Onboard audio is way bad compared to that of fiio e11.

If the motherboard is older then about five years I would concede, but as modern onboard outputs just fine, you should really only be buying something if your onboard is broken.